Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I think they mate!

Whew...am I glad to know im not the only one wondering about how they mutiplied...thought for sure some friends, the dog even had somehow snuck into my sewing room and left me "gifts" LOL. did tried and sorting some but after looking at 4 totes...gave some away to quilting guild...let them use it & enjoy it !
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

One of the things I have been doing while organizing is to hand on hangers or clip to handgers that have clothes pins on the and have found it a good way to be able to see everything and it's quite a space saver. The are like $l.00 for WalMart for 10 of them and they are sturdy enough to hold a couple of pieces. I am very pleaed the way they look hanging in the closet.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

With the high cost of fabric, I wish my stash would multiply itself.

Organizing, an unending task

Glad to hear I am not alone! I am working on my sewing room. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all the pieces I am dealing with. And I don't want to get rid of them because I "might" need them. I don't really have the space to sort by color so I am separating the theme fabric from the quilt fabric. And I think you are right. They do multiply overnight.
    Oh well, it will be great when I get done.

Every time I clean my sewing studio I find fabric that I don't remember buying. It's just like Christmas! lol

When my Mom was here during Christmas, she reorganized and neatened all of my stash drawers. It was Great! For about two days, until I decided to start a new project and went stash hunting! Now I'm back to unfolded heaps in all the drawers, scrap bags bursting at the seams and spilling out onto the floor! The gremlins live in my sewing room! LOL

I just purchased a "wacky web" ruler from Missouri Star and when I tackle my pile o'scraps, I am gonna use the web ruler to cut the larger pieces and hopefully get a start on my wacky web blocks....hopefully!

Blog Entries
    Wouldnt it be great if they did mate and multiply? Think of all the money we could save and of course the down side. Think of the ugly fabrics that may be produced.LOL But, of course even ugly fabric is usable fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Well of course they mate. They probably learned all about it from wire hangers.
    Haha! This is so true and funny!

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Well of course they mate. They probably learned all about it from wire hangers.
    LOL! Ain't that da troof? Or twisty ties or rubber bands? I was in my kitchen junk drawer earlier today & my word! It was a jungle in there!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    I just purchased a "wacky web" ruler from Missouri Star and when I tackle my pile o'scraps, I am gonna use the web ruler to cut the larger pieces and hopefully get a start on my wacky web blocks....hopefully!
    I can't wait to see you project! Please post it, OK!?!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

And I have just been trying to get stuff cleaned up in there so I can sew without the distractions of all the stuff piled all over the place. I have found about 15 projects that I haven't even looked at yet, 3 PIGs, abouty 5 UFOs, and have not idea what else is in there. There are stencils, markers, rotary cutters, rulers... you get the idea. I did get a box of dog toys out. That was a step in the right direction... I don't have enough space! I got about 15 yds of muslin on bolts. I must have 200 FQs. I have yardage, I have kits. I am buried! HELP!!!

Anita in Northfield, MN

I know the feeling. I spent a couple of weeks organizing my sewing room so it would be easier to get to the things I want but haven't gotten to do much quilting since I am currently doing gardening. Hopefully another week will get that in order.

I have to ask.....what is "register tape sewing"?.

If I'm not careful I will learn something everyday!

Blog Entries
    I know just how that "mating" business happens. I have moved a couple of times in the last 5 years and that helps to get things under control for me. We are finally settled (I think) and I have a fairly consistent method for "dealing" with just this problem. I go through everything each January. I move out "accumulation" and whack it up for charity quilting. I work on those until spring. At the same time, I line up groups of fabrics for my spring and summer projects. By mid fall and sometimes earlier the mating has really gotten evident again but it has to wait until after the holidays. I am starting to really like my method because it's a plan I can work with and enjoy. I think you have found yours as well!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

I try...VERY hard, to pick up before I leave the sewing room each time. I have clear covered shoe boxes from Walmart that I store fat quarters and scraps in, 2 for each color (or color family). One holds fat quarters and the other holds smaller scraps...teeny scraps go in a container of it's own of all colors and 2 1/2" strips another. I also have a container where smaller strips go in for crocheted rag rugs or placements. I don't believe mine mate during lights out...I just have a terrible fabric fetish!! I fall in love with fabric and have to have some of it from just about everywhere I go.

My sewing room is in the kitchen, and my fabric has mated too; I was hoping to rearrange it
    and make it more accessable, but life has gotten in the way and I am behind doing this.
    Someone asked about adding machine tape sewing? That is where you make strips of scraps
    on adding machine tape, or sometimes they look like crazy quilting; one way to use up your
    little pieces of fabric. Then you can add each tape to another tape or add sashing in between
    the tapes; You can make them any size length you want to have and make them into blocks
    then put sashing on each side...there is so many ideas to come up with for this method of
    sewing small pieces of fabric together. You can use this as a leader or ender of something
    else you are sewing. Just remember to make your stitches smaller so you can rip the paper
    off while watching a TV show when it is time to rip paper. We got to see a large postage stamp
    quilt the other day and she had sewed the larger area and then added 2 or 3 rows of lights and
    then more prints so it looked like a border and then when she liked the size of it, quilted and
    bound it. I would guess she started with 1 1/2 inch squares; I heard her say it was leaders
    and enders until she had enough to make the quilt. It was beautiful and colorful too.

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    I am still working on my scraps. And this bunch has been less than a year. I packed up a bunch and gave it away not long ago. I was wondering why the buckets and bins never get empty..
    So funny, everyone has a ton of scraps. I do mostly scrap quilting, so don't have a lot of scraps, while my yardage sits around because I can't bring myself to cut into it!

Well, mine need birth control! I have FINALLY decided to really organize my sewing room. So far, I have emptied some bins and have 4 of those big plastic shelving units from Lowes neatly covered in fabric. I have a couple of more to empty, then I am going to sort by color/theme/holiday, etc. I bought 13 x 13 plastic scrapbook boxes for my thread and am rolling batting and putting it on the top shelves. I have put up room darkening shades, but was wondering if I need to figure some way to cover the fronts of the shelves to avoid light exposure. FQs are folded and placed on end, so I can see what's in each box. Strips and squares are in plastic shoe boxes by size. I don't think I'll ever finish this. What a job!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2