Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was using spray starch...how do I clean the iron??? >

I was using spray starch...how do I clean the iron???

I was using spray starch...how do I clean the iron???

Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 AM

I use the stuff you clean glass top stoves with. Use it on a cold iron. I think I read this somewhere on here and it works great.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 AM

I was at a quilting class, and dropped my iron onto indoor/outdoor carpet. I picked it up quickly, so the carpet did not have noticeable marks, but my iron was a MESS! The class was being held at a community activity center, and there was a kitchen stocked with basics only. I found some wax paper and some salt, and spread the salt on the wax paper, went over it with my heated iron, and the entire class was amazed at how clean it came out. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 AM

On Create-TV yesterday, Fons and Porter said to use the oven wipes that you can buy in the grocery store to clean the bottom of a gunky iron. Thought I would check the grocery store when I go shopping this week.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 AM

What kind of sole plate do you have on your iron? Different kinds work best with different methods. On my teflon plated iron a damp cloth while iron is turned off but still warm is all that is needed.

For the titanium plated iron, I keep a new fabric softener sheet on the very end of the ironing board and run the iron over it to clean it periodically. It takes off starch, fusible bits, etc.

For stainless steel plated irons, I love those magic erasers and then wipe off with damp cloth.

Wax paper works for all of them, but I am spoiled and just keep the fabric softener sheet by the iron all the time. No bending over to go to a cupboard! LOL

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 AM

A lady at Hancocks told me to use a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge. Oh my goodness it WORKS GREAT! I even bought an iron at Goodwill that was like new but the bottom was nasty with some kind of burnt mess on it and I cleaned it with the sponge and it wiped right off. I use those sponges for everything. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 AM

I use a hot iron cleaner that I purchased from Joanns. Works wonderful. It will take off just about anything.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

They make a product just for cleaning sole plate of iron called Iron Off.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM

There is also a product you can buy...called Iron Off. comes in a tube like toothpaste, found it in Walmart by the spray starch....you use on a hot iron....
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 AM

when I was much younger, I remembered my mother using table salt on wax paper. Seemed to do what mom wanted it to do
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I generally run my iron over a USED (NOT NEW!!!!) dryer sheet. That has saved my bacon plenty of times.