Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to try something new >

I want to try something new

I want to try something new

Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Can you tell me what would be easy for me to learn to applique on or with or whatever it is you do. I see all these pretty things that have been appliqued and want to try some. I havent the slightest idea on how to do it so it has to be something really simple to do. I DO NOT know how to hand sew so I don't know the names of any of the stitches or how to do them. But I am willing to learn. Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Here is a basic tute I did - you have to download the PDF if you want to practice on something :lol: Also Google coloring pages and start with something that has soft/gentle curves :wink:
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM

This is an applique book I really love. I have several, but this has a lot of techniques and small projects

http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Works...5797361&sr=1-5

This one is also nice and well written

http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Basic...5797450&sr=1-1
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

If you're talking about needle turn applique, then I think two-fabric applique is an excellent way to start out. You get to learn the basic technique without having to deal with multiple layers, cutting out tiny pieces, etc. Here's my post showing some examples -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-144873-1.htm
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Like anything, it takes practice. Alex Andersen's book starts you off with an applique of a heart onto a square of fabric. This allows you to practice both inward and outward curves, points and straight areas. I am sure the tutorials mentioned above are equally informative. Just remember, nobody started off knowing how to ride a bike but most of us learned with time. Kick your shoes off, take a deep breath and go for it! Keep us posted on your progress, please!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 PM

I stick the shapes on with lite steam-seam-2, and then stitch them down with my blanket stitch on my Sewing machine. No hand sewing here. Before I got this new machine, I used a small zig zag stitch. The first time I used the steam-a-seam I forgot to take off the paper, and had to unpick to get the paper out. Don't do that.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks everyone. I will check those all out. I noticed one there was a kindle edition. LOL I have a kindle...hmmmm I may have to consider that one and make me a little kit to take with me when we sit at VA with my husband.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Deanna..you can buy inexpensive hand towels at the $ store and applique different shapes on them. They make cute last minute gifts for the holidays or to tuck in a secret pal giftie. I love to do sunbonnet sues, butterflies or 2 over-lapping hearts look cute on them. I sew mine onto fusible interfacing then flip it and iron it onto the towel. That way you don't have to pin it on. Easier to hand applique. No pins to stick you. Just make sure you put the fusible side towards the right side of your fabric then sew around it then cut a slit in the interfacing and flip it to the back or wrong side. Then the fusible side will be on the outside. I hope this doesn't confuse you. If so send me a PM and I will try and explain it better. crafty_linda_b

P.S. it rained here earlier...so I am sending it north to you *LOL*