Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I will never use red and maroon fabric in a quilt again!

Exclamation I will never use red and maroon fabric in a quilt again!

I have driven myself crazy trying to get these fabrics to quit bleeding. I have used different rinses and color catchers. Any other advice on how to deal with these colors?

Sometimes you just have to give up and bite the big one. I had a Madras shirt from India that never quit bleeding.

Power Poster
    Have you tried ReTayne? Some people swear by it.

I have had an occasional piece that has ended up in the TRASH - (didn't want anyone else to have a problem with it)

Red is not the only color that occasionally behaves like that - I have had a blue, a purple, a turquoise, and an orange also bleed 'forever.'

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I got back into working on quilts a friend of mine informed me of the color catchers. I purchased extra fabric of the yardage I wanted (red) and washed it in hot water. I used 2 color catcher sheets. One for the first wash then that had a lot of color in it. I decided to wash it again and used the 2nd sheet. I also threw in a white piece of material that had an old tear in it. The catcher had a little hint of pink and the bigger piece of material (a cotton towel)had no color I could see. Then I threw it in the dryer on medium heat. I then put a small piece of it into a small bucket with soapy water and a small piece of catcher. After 20 minutes, I pulled both pieces out and put the white catcher against another piece of the catcher and looked good. So if I have to use reds or like colors I will use the catchers and wash in very warm water. I just buy extra yardage.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The problem with some of these dyes that bleed, you don't know who is going to be allergic to them. If they have any synthetic fiber at all it just may bleed. I definitely don't use bleed fabrics on baby or kid quilts.

Power Poster
    If you have used Retayne and colour catchers and it is still bleeding, then I would use it carefully. Make a red and black quilt where you won't need to worry about bleeding.

Blog Entries
    maybe this would help http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2127-AA.shtml synthropol
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

It's not clear from your question whether you are pre-washing the fabrics or have already sewn them into a quilt. If it's the former, then Retayne should set the dye. If the latter, then don't use Retayne since it will set dye onto any fabric in the quilt, including those that are not red or maroon.

It is so sad to hear these stories. I swear by Retayne. I test almost everything before cutting. Some things bleed a little and don't need anything else after a wash. Most bleed and the dyes are set by a Retayne treatment. There are a few for which there is no hope. At least that has been my experience.

Must be the fabric you buy. I use lots of cranberry, navy blue and some red. I use a color catcher and no bleeding problems at all.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes the color is not properly set at the factory. When this is the case, you have a "bleeder" that will never stop bleeding. For fabric, you can try up to two treatments with Retayne. Any fabric that still bleeds after that should be tossed.

I find solid colors to be bleeders more than any other and reds the worst.....I prewash everything and anything suspicious get Retayne.....then no more problems!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I check my fabrics - particularly the intense values so I can avoid those surprises. If they run, it all gets washed. That has been the extent of my worry. I've done red with white and it didn't bleed. I did have one blue that bled like crazy. It was older fabric - not the newer die method and I didn't notice it until my fingers turned blue from sewing the binding.

Before I even opened the thread, I knew what was coming. Reds are so notorious for bleeding, but are so gorgeous to incorporate into a quilt top.

Blog Entries
    Simply washing will not remove all the dyes. The best way to remove dye for good is to let the fabric soak overnight in hot water and Synthrapol. Do not use Retayne - it will set the dyes. Synthrapol keeps the dye suspended in the water.

This blogger dyes her own fabrics and simply soaks them in hot water and detergent:

Part 1:
    http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...d-fabrics.html

Part 2:
    http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...ness-post.html

Blog Entries
    sorry to hear you are having the issue.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I pre-wash with Syntropol and have not had an issue. One LQS said they never pre-wash fabric - when they make a quilt and gift it they send along color catchers for the person to use when the quilt is washed.

I had one fabric that bled a lot. I used the fabric to make crayon roll-ups. I refused to use it in something that would be washed. I also did not want to throw out the fabric. It is so annoying.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    In my former shop we once got a maroon fabric that bleed hugely....thankfully we seemed to catch it before a customer brought it to our attention. I pulled the bolt from the floor, went home with a couple of yards of it and washed it twice. It was still bleeding like a severed artery.

Then I washed it with some nice prewashed white fabric, on purpose, which came out the most adorable baby pink color! We decided to use the rest of the bolt to do that, dye a bunch of fabric for all the staff and a few 'special' customers who we knew wouldn't come back to bite us. It was some of the prettiest fabric I've ever had, especially knowing that it came from the evil maroon that had cheated us all!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    In my former shop we once got a maroon fabric that bleed hugely....thankfully we seemed to catch it before a customer brought it to our attention. I pulled the bolt from the floor, went home with a couple of yards of it and washed it twice. It was still bleeding like a severed artery.

Then I washed it with some nice prewashed white fabric, on purpose, which came out the most adorable baby pink color! We decided to use the rest of the bolt to do that, dye a bunch of fabric for all the staff and a few 'special' customers who we knew wouldn't come back to bite us. It was some of the prettiest fabric I've ever had, especially knowing that it came from the evil maroon that had cheated us all!

Jan in VA
    Jan ~ Now that is truly making lemonade out of a lemon!

I have a quilt at the long arm quilter all fabric was pre-washed however...when spraying with Best Press prior to ironing that pesky but beautiful (Moda) red fabric with white stars bled onto the white fabric with blue stars.... I didn't iron I fingered pressed as best I could and showed the LA she said it would quilt up fine. Now I'm hoping that Retayne ~ color catchers will perform a miracle.

It's a patriotic quilt to honor our son's military service in Desert Shield/Storm...and 24 years in the Colorado Air National Guard..... It's not a horrible bleed, more like waves of shadows ....but still disappointing, should it not come out it will be so aggravating to me, but I will still give it to him and call that character and then sulk the rest of my life! (smiling weakly here)

So the comments that it's the quality of the fabric she purchased, doesn't always hold true even well respected fabric 'names' can disappoint.
    Last edited by onaemtnest; 05-29-2013 at 05:53 AM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I had a red fabric that I prewashed in Retayne. However, when I completed my king size red and white quilt top I discovered that the red bled onto the white when I spritzed the marking for quilting. Synthrapol removed the bleeding stain after 3 washings. After having it about 3/4 finished with hand quilting another accident happened -- the cat. The red bled again. I decided that it was time to cut my losses on this "Murphy's Law Quilt", and I tossed it in the trash. There are some fabrics that just won't stop bleeding. Now, I test my fabric by cutting a small square (3-5 inches) from the corners of the darkest and lightest fabric that will be going into my quilt. I place a few drops of the soap I'll use to wash the quilt (I wash all my quilts after finished) in a bowl or glass of water. I drop both pieces of fabric in and let it sit all day or overnight. I check to see if there's color in the bowl and if my light fabric has absorbed it, I try another light fabric. If there's no color on the light fabric, I rinse both pieces, lay them together on a flat surface, lay something flat and heavy on top (I use a heavy cutting board), and let them stay together 24 hours. If the light fabric hasn't absorbed any color, I use both fabrics. If it has, I discard the dark fabric for that project. I learned this from Harriet Hargrave's "From Fiber to Fabric." It is time consuming to test, but better and less frustrating than my first experience.

Blog Entries
    If I have fabric that bleeds on the second wash i squeeze it out then line dry and iron it. No more bleeding. Put a friend on to this and it worked for her also. BTW I always line dry as I haven't owned a dryer for 20 years.
    Worst bleeder I ever had was a Jinny Beyer fabric.

Yes, I do know of a way! I use Rit Dye Company's Dye Fixative. I have done a lot of reds and whites and I've found if you don't treat the fabrics, they will bleed -- it's a foregone conclusion. If you use it (and I had to order it direct from the Rit Dye Website) as instructed, it DOES WORK! I don't have any ownership interest in the company -- but when a product works, I don't mind telling about it!

Jeanette Frantz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
    Now I'm hoping that Retayne ~ color catchers will perform a miracle.
    Please do not confuse Retayne with Synthrapol! Use Synthrapol with color catchers (in a machine that uses lots of water, so any dye bleeds are sufficiently diluted) to wash a finished quilt. Retayne is for prewashing fabrics. If you use Retayne on a finished quilt and a fabric in that quilt bleeds, Retayne will set the bleed.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I remember it this way......
    Retayne R-E-T-A-I-N-S the color in the fabric, set by the product.
    Synthrapol S-E-N-Ds the color down the drain, not into the fabric.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast