Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd love more info on fabric art and decorative stitching >

I'd love more info on fabric art and decorative stitching

I'd love more info on fabric art and decorative stitching

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments! My 403A does do zig-zag and I have all of the cams to change the fancy stitches. I haven't started the class yet. I'm currently working on Jacqueline de Jonge's class on Craftsy. For some reason, the Craftsy videos really suck up the bandwidth and I'm out of internet after only 1 and a 1/2 videos. If I watch them before 7AM, I get free bandwidth, so I'd better start getting up earlier. I'll definitely look up the Stitcher's Garden and the embroidery classes.

~ Cindy
Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Never thought about running out of internet! The Craftsy classes once bought are free to you forever. Some other web classes are only available for a limited time, I think Quilt University classes are limited and they cost much more.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 AM

This is not true. If you pay for a class, it is lifetime access. Once a year they have a special of $25(i think)..anyway a super price and you can watch as many programs as you want in their whole collection and categories for a month...what fun that was....
Old 04-23-2016, 04:08 AM

Don't waste your time with Stupendous stitching....Stitch Savy by Lynda Faires is better class.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Should have referenced craftsy classes are forever and the LYNDA FAIRES class is on Craftsy...sorry.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Default Awesome class!

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Fabric art that uses decorative stitching, cording, ribbons, etc., has always caught my eye. I'm thinking of taking a class on Craftsy called, "Stupendous Stitching," by Carol Ann Waugh. (They're having a 1/2 price sale on some of their classes right now.)

Is anyone else into fabric art and surface design through fabrics? I'd love more info about it. What kind of machine do you use? What are the various materials that you work with? I have a Singer 403A. Would this be a good machine to do these kinds of projects? Thanks!

~ Cindy
You will love Carol Waugh's class and learn a lot from it. Go for it!

Edited:

I just reread your post. I'm not sure how many decorative stitches the 403A has. This class uses decorative stitches. On that note, I wish my machine didn't have soooo many decorative stitches. The first thing you do is stitch out all of the decorative stitches on your machine with various settings. Time consuming, but it lets you see just what your machine will do.

Last edited by nstitches4u; 04-23-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 AM

I don't know where you heard that ManiacQuilter2. I have taken many Craftsy classes and a lot of them were purchased when they were on sale. I have complete access to ALL my classes forever. Being on sale doesn't make a difference.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7529378]I love embellishments. I have a Viking and the dealer offered a class a couple years ago called 'playing with your feet'. You were supposed to bring whatever trims and feet you had at home, and they let you use all the feet in the store. What fun! You can get a lot of bang for the buck just using a couching foot, which is available for most machines. You can couch braid, trim, novelty yarns ribbon etc. You actually can just use a zigzag foot, but a couching foot has a groove on the bottom to handle the extra bulk. You can use an unobtrusive thread and let the couched material be the star, or use a decorative thread & stitch and enhance it. Most machines also have a pintuck foot available. Another foot I LOVE is my cording foot. Not sure if this would be available for your machine. Here's a pic of the one I have. http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....na-Viking.html. It has holes in it, you thread multiple thin cords thru the holes and use a decorative stitch to hold them down. The only foot I didn't like is the beading foot. never could get the beads to thread correctly. Just attach them by hand.

Wow, now you have me thinking! I am a new quilter (not just a piecer as I have learned on this board) and I have only ever used ONE foot out of all that comes with my new Pfaff sewing machine. I guess I'll get the book out and study it again. Thanks for good information.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:34 PM

I have never regarded my quilts as art quilts, but many of them are embellished with eyelash yarn, fancy stitching, beads and the like -- whatever catches my fancy. Sometimes a quilt talks to me after I put the binding on and it says "you are not done with me yet". Take a class or buy a good book to learn the different techniques, then have fun.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM

I think Stupendous Stitching is an excellent class. You can also go on Pinterest and look at "art quilts" most can be made without patterns. I have a Bernina and on their home page they have videos to watch on how to use different feet and projects. Singer may also have things like that on their site. The main thing with art quilts is to have fun and do what pleases you.