Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for 25 FQ

New Mexico, but moving to WI in the spring

Ideas for 25 FQ

I won a FQ bundle two years ago as a Row By Row prize. Itís batiks, in a rainbow assortment which includes a black, gray and cream. I was sure that some wonderful inspiration would strike, but itís not happened yet. Does this give anyone an idea of a pattern? Iíve refrained from using any of the squares (yes, theyíre still tied in a bundle as I received them!) because Iím waiting for just the right project.

Name:  26EE7440-6233-40D3-937F-250F284EBDA2.jpeg
Views: 1209
Size:  1.88 MB

Those are beautiful fabrics. Would a Yellow Brick Road pattern work for you? There are a couple of books that I have seen published just for FQ patterns. Good luck and I will keep checking to see what everyone's ideas are.

Any of the Take 20 patterns would be great!

I think I've finally convinced myself that just because fabrics came together, they don't necessarily have to be used together. If you don't come up with a plan that involves all (or most) of these FQs, consider putting them in your stash, to be used as needed with other fabrics that don't currently have "fabric friends." That's what I'm going to do with a bunch of FQ stacks that have been together for too long.

I am thinking along the same lines as Dunster. They do not have to play together. They can be spread all over the place.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Although the fabrics are lovely, I don't think they work together all that well, so I would add them to stash and use the colors as needed in other projects. Those fat quarters can go a long way

Blog Entries
    turning 20 patterns are quick fat qtr users. But I would add some print fabrics in the color family of your bundle.

Blog Entries
    i saw a delectable mountain done in batiks and the other half in black. it was on here. maybe you can find it. it was stunning.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I would separate them by color and use them as blenders. They are beautiful but I agree they don't work well all together.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like making samplers; so I would get 3 to 5 yards of solid black background and make a sampler. There are lots of them around the web, or you can go to Quilters Cache and choose whatever blocks you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I like making samplers; so I would get 3 to 5 yards of solid black background and make a sampler. There are lots of them around the web, or you can go to Quilters Cache and choose whatever blocks you like.
    Love this idea!!!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Swoon uses 2 FQ plus some background yardage for each block. I've been loving this block for a few years now and am finally getting around to making it. I didn't buy the pattern and instead figured out my own method since I didn't want to deal with extra "bonus hst" from her method of making flying geese. I am using the no-waste method and it's working out really well.

The 24" Swoon uses 18FQ and makes 9 blocks for an 80x80 quilt. Swoon 16 is a bit smaller (16" blocks?) if you prefer smaller blocks. Fireworks is another one that uses FQ and is also on my to do list.

Name:  Swoon Block 3.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  130.1 KB

A few weeks ago there was a discussion thread here about the Slideshow pattern by Atkinson. If you want to use the batiks as a group, this pattern may work out for you. Here is a link to the thread and there are links in it to images of the pattern.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...n-t296398.html

Lovely fabric...so many choices!!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    My avatar is a quilt called Gimme Diamonds by Four Paws quilting. www.fourpawsquilting.com

you can use FQs or half yards, it was a fun project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    With such lovely vibrant colors, the fist thing I thought of was a stained glass quilt. Add some solid black or dark gray, and you are well on your way to a magnificent quilt. Good luck.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

County Lines takes 12 fat quarters so you could make 2 of them. Name:  9DE6B57F-7A52-4CD6-B89B-30C4F4E8704D.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  1.21 MB

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I would separate them by color and use them as blenders. They are beautiful but I agree they don't work well all together.
    I agree with sewbizgirl. The whole stack looks like great blender fabrics. Blender fabrics are great to have in your stash. Congratulations on your fun prize.

Madamekelly also has great idea if you want to use them all in one quilt. There are a lot of great stained glass window patterns out there. Even the fake cathedral windows pattern would be great for the colors.
    Last edited by mac; 05-08-2018 at 08:02 AM.

There are lots of cute rainbow patterns available. Here are a couple of links:
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...atterns?page=7
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353251...08898/?lp=true
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZozD83kSGw
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...7690&term_meta[]=rainbow%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=quilt%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=patterns%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined
    Last edited by mindless; 05-08-2018 at 08:43 AM.

I think the reason that inspiration has not struck is the fabric don't easily suggest how you could use them together. I see several groups of 3 or 4 that look like they would work well together but not the entire pile. I think Dunster has the right idea. They would be lovely as blenders with some prints mixed in.

I really like this one from Craftsy:

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...lt-show/576324

You would have to buy the pattern or you can watch the video and make your own variation.

Name:  1521560755983-mqs_s5_weave_pattern_thumb_sf049.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  67.1 KB

They look yummy all tied up, but I agree to splitting them by color into your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
    Although the fabrics are lovely, I don't think they work together all that well, so I would add them to stash and use the colors as needed in other projects. Those fat quarters can go a long way
    This was my reaction as well and I normally lean to keeping them together.
    Anna Quilts

Take a look at the Drift Away Pattern by Melissa Corey. It is a free pattern/tutorial on her website. Might work to arrange in a rainbow effect.