Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut... >

If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut...

If you prefer your fabric to be torn, rather than cut...

Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

i have purchased 'cut' fabric from some pretty big fabric stores where the cut has been so crooked that when i squared up my fabric i lost 7" on one end...and 1/2" on the other...i would much rather have a straight fabric where i have to trim 1/4" to fix the edges. at least if it;s torn it is straight and you loose lots less than when people give you really bad cuts.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

not near as much as you loose from a bad cut
Originally Posted by ilovetosew
I like mine torn because then it's on the straight grain, but you do lose a bit on the edge.
Janie
Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by 3dogslover
I had a similar experience with difficulty with Jo Ann's cutting policy. I asked for a yard of clear vinyl to line up my applique and it was the end of the roll with only 2 inches left that had even been taped to the roll. They wanted me to pay for the last 2 inches automatically. I told them I did not think I should have to pay for the 2 inches with tape, but they should just include it in my order since it was the last of the roll and there was nothing they could do with it anyway, besides I spend a lot of money in that store. They gave me some story about having to account for all of their material and could not give it to me, so they proceeded to cut my yard and not a bit more and left the last 2 inches on the roll. They then took it off the roll and wadded it up and threw it in the trash right in front of me. I was furious they would rather throw it away and make a good customer really angry. Kat
Kat, they made you angry, and they made their accounting department happy. I've been told by several of the long-time sales associates at our local JoAnns that it *is* true that they do have to account for every little bit of fabric, trim, tape, and whatever. And that makes perfectly good sense, from a management perspective. What would be a good addition to their policy would be to have some means by which the useless dribs-and-drabs could both be written off (happy accountants) and also given to the customers (happy shoppers).

Just my thoughts...