Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...? >

If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...?

If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 AM

Don't over look wool sweaters for felting when you're thrift shopping.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 AM

I save the buttons, zippers and lining (if in good condition). I use the lining in doll clothes.
The thrift store I get my wool from has a color coded price that is only .69 cents on Saturday's (that's when I get my wool clothes (for applique) and formal wear (for doll clothes).
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM

I'm a keeper. I save buttons and zippers. Why buy them when you can save them for later?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM

Well, wool seems hard to find in the stores I go to and the prices are high so have to wait for one of the 50% off sale days. The jackets run $10-15 and the sweaters around $7.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Gas here in E. Tenn was 1.94 this morning. Get your wool while you can as Spring will be here soon. You might score in summer, though.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I was a bit upset to say the least when I went to our SA near the house. I got what I was looking for old flannel shirts for $1.00-1.50 for x-xxl sizes. I got 8 shirts. Now the night before the SA was passing out coats for the homeless and some blankets and said they ran out. I was really upset because I donated a few blankets and couple older but nice warm jackets that didn't fit anymore and DH just didn't really like them. I was shocked the stock of coats/jackets and blankets on the racks. I asked the clerk about them and with all on the rack I knew they didn't just put them out. She stated. that the better ones go on the retail racks and the other ones are passed out. I was just a little dismayed, disappointed whatever word fits. I will continue to donate. I will also hold back a little and next time I see a disadvantaged person who needs a jacket will give one to them, when I see the need. Just no sense in my mind. Canstill get some great deals at the thrift stores though.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 AM

I think it's nice that they pass out jackets - though I do think Salvation Army has a funny way of running things. I won't go there though. I have an old school pal who works for them...and my Mother also used to work for Goodwill Industries. Lots of funny business if you ask me! In any case...the prices are a subject of controversy because they seem to be all over the place and the running theme when talking to other customers is they are really getting high. We went to SA day before yesterday and they made me so angry I put my cart with about $50 worth of items in it back!! I'm on the fence as to whether I'll go back or not. I do try to be thrifty, but they were real stinkers when I was there and I'd rather pay more than be treated poorly. Oh well.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I was a bit upset to say the least when I went to our SA near the house. I got what I was looking for old flannel shirts for $1.00-1.50 for x-xxl sizes. I got 8 shirts. Now the night before the SA was passing out coats for the homeless and some blankets and said they ran out. I was really upset because I donated a few blankets and couple older but nice warm jackets that didn't fit anymore and DH just didn't really like them. I was shocked the stock of coats/jackets and blankets on the racks. I asked the clerk about them and with all on the rack I knew they didn't just put them out. She stated. that the better ones go on the retail racks and the other ones are passed out. I was just a little dismayed, disappointed whatever word fits. I will continue to donate. I will also hold back a little and next time I see a disadvantaged person who needs a jacket will give one to them, when I see the need. Just no sense in my mind. Canstill get some great deals at the thrift stores though.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:05 AM

I salvage buttons and zippers from clothes I'm either cutting up for my own use, or just things I need to get rid of that are too ruined to donate. I can't say I DO anything with them yet, but I have been able to re-purpose a light jacket zipper on a throw pillow cover, so I have used one, once! LOL (The buttons do get used fairly often, DH snags his work-shirt sleeves on things constantly and is always in need of a little button or two.)

I keep telling myself that someday I'm going to figure out how to make purses, and then I will make myself the Most Awesome Purse Ever with all sorts of cool zipper pockets with all these salvaged zippers....but so far I'm nowhere near that goal, LOL.

My gran salvaged wool from thrift shops for her quilts; I keep telling myself I'm going to do the same someday. I have five or six of her wool quilts and they are THE best quilts I own. So warm and heavy and cozy...I just love them. I'm always happy when it's cold enough to put "grandma's quilt" on the bed!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I totally understand. They made me angry one day and I didn't have near that much in the cart but I just left it where it was. I hit estate sales a lot and get great bargains there. SA made me angry one day when I almost bought a sewing machine. Package with attachments was extra. The foot was also in the package. I walked again! Wasn't really that interested but just the thought!
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
I think it's nice that they pass out jackets - though I do think Salvation Army has a funny way of running things. I won't go there though. I have an old school pal who works for them...and my Mother also used to work for Goodwill Industries. Lots of funny business if you ask me! In any case...the prices are a subject of controversy because they seem to be all over the place and the running theme when talking to other customers is they are really getting high. We went to SA day before yesterday and they made me so angry I put my cart with about $50 worth of items in it back!! I'm on the fence as to whether I'll go back or not. I do try to be thrifty, but they were real stinkers when I was there and I'd rather pay more than be treated poorly. Oh well.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I totally understand. They made me angry one day and I didn't have near that much in the cart but I just left it where it was. I hit estate sales a lot and get great bargains there. SA made me angry one day when I almost bought a sewing machine. Package with attachments was extra. The foot was also in the package. I walked again! Wasn't really that interested but just the thought!
Doesn't that drive you crazy when they don't know a darn thing about sewing or sewing machines and ask insane prices or separate the necessities needed just to run the darn thing? That would bug me too. We once went to GW and they had a table set selling for $250...the set itself was one that was currently being sold at Kmart...and if I had half a mind to I could have run right over to Kmart and bought the exact same set...for $199. Not to mention, the one at Goodwill was missing the bench that went with the set! We tried to tell someone who worked there but they weren't too interested. Oh my - they drive me nuts. But it's hard to stay away because you CAN get a bargain there...you just have to watch. I was so mad when I left SA the other day just because the guy at the counter was a booger. I understand it's Salvation Army and some of the folks are there court ordered and not necessarily for the joy of working...but this guy was just so rude so we left. I won't get into it - but I just wonder what's happened even just over the last 20 years...people seem so sour these days. It doesn't take too much effort just to be pleasant. Or pretend to be pleasant! LOL