Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
IF you are a wash/soak your fabrics before cutting person. . . >

IF you are a wash/soak your fabrics before cutting person. . .

IF you are a wash/soak your fabrics before cutting person. . .

Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I buy extra to help alleviate that problem. I pre-wash everything and do not use fabric softener. If I need a stabilizer, I find using a basting spray or Elmer's washable glue on tissue paper works great for some projects. White tissue paper is great and they come in 20x20 sheets and packs of 30. Dollar stores are sometimes cheaper than that.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

My fabrics hit the washer when they get home. Then dried. My fabrics play nicer together with this step done~
I do not measure before, just when I get ready to use it~
Old 05-18-2013, 07:13 AM

I prewash and dry. Never measure because it just doesn't make any difference at this point.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 PM

I have so much unwashed fabric it is a chore every time I start something new but posts like this make me fearful not to prewash. I wish I had started prewashing at the start of my fabric collecting. Newbies take note!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I got behind on my washing, too - so now I also have stacks of unwashed fabric.

I'm trying to keep it separate from the washed fabrics.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I wash all that yard goods I purchase and dry them to almost dry then hang them up and finger press them as I take them out of the dryer love the selvedges if I don't tidy them up a bit. I try to do this when I bring them in the house. Then, they are ready except for ironing with starch when I begin a project. Now, I have purchased charms, layer cakes, and jelly rolls and followed most of the advice saying "don't wash". I like the convenience that I don't have to cut them however, I found when I ironed them while piecing, some of the strips from the jelly roll shrank almost 1/3" after I had pieced them, was not happy. Fixed it but learned. Still I will buy them but learned...a lot.
I also learned my lesson on pre-cuts when I made a quilt top and it BLED. Ruined the whole thing. So now I wash them -- more like soak them in soap, and then in clear water. You can get the water out by using a salad spinner; it works nicely. Then I toss them in a big lingerie bag, and they go into the dryer on "delicate". I do my best to handle them as little as possible when wet so I don't distort the fabric.

However, I will admit I'm using more strips that I cut from pre-washed fabric than I am pre-cuts, just because I find it easier than messing around with washing them. On the other hands, some are so beautiful, I just can't resist! So I wash them.