Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were to replace your rotary cutter....

i have a fiskars and the cutting edge both 45. love them.
    ​debra

I will tell you what I won't buy again. I bought a Fons And Porter one and I am not crazy about it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if I go to a LQS to try some cutters, will they allow me to also bring along my ShapeCut Plus ruler? I want to make sure the cutter will work with my favorite ruler! And if the shop goes to all that trouble to allow me to play, bring my own fabric & rulers to test, I'll probably just buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I wonder if I go to a LQS to try some cutters, will they allow me to also bring along my ShapeCut Plus ruler? I want to make sure the cutter will work with my favorite ruler! And if the shop goes to all that trouble to allow me to play, bring my own fabric & rulers to test, I'll probably just buy from them.
    I am sure if you take your own fabric they probably will! I think this is a great idea, I really wish there were more places to "test drive" a notion before you buy. If you like it, it is well worth the $ but if it doesn't work for you it is a waste. Hoever never throw quilting tools that don't work for you out (unless they aren't safe) - try giving to friends, a guild or your local Senior Center. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of the olfa 45. And 1 of the smaller olfa(?). I use these 3 most of the time. I have 1 of those 45 eurogonics(sp), and used it once, maybe twice. Getting use to cutting with it that euro, just hasn't got me in the mood to use it, yet.

Blog Entries
    I have an Olfa ergonomic cutter that retracts the blade automatically. Love it!
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

QKO
    Left-handed 60mm Martelli ergo. For me, nothing else comes anywhere near close for all-day cutting comfort and blades that stay sharp dozens of times longer than anything else I've used.

For really small cuts like small applique pieces with lots of curves, I use a standard 18mm Olfa cutter.

I have used all the Olfa models and sizes, and I like them all. I also bought a Martelli, as well as Fiskars. For blades, I buy the titanium Fiskars at JoAnn's when I have a 50% discount coupon. It also helps to make sure the cutters are used just for fabric and nothing else. I use a different cutter for interfacings and battings.

I use a OLIF 45 and really like the way the blade retracts when not in use. 45 is the universal size and can do most everthing. . the 60 is too big for everday cutting and the smaller size is used for curves.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Martelli left-handed 45. Without a doubt. An Olfa with a straight handle for when my martelli is buried and I can't see it!

Ditto...I like my Martelli too

Ditto......I love my Martelli, haven't changed the blade yet.
    Syl

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    45mm gingher
    also have a 45mm olfa ergonomic but prefer the gingher and quick change.
    I also have a 45 mm Gingher ergonomic quick change and LOVE it!! I also use my trusty 45 mm Olfa that closes when I lay it down. I usually go to it first.

Yesterday, for the first time, I used my electric blade sharpener and loved it. I've been leery of it for months, but it was so easy to use and really sharpened my blade. I need to sit down and sharpen all my old blades now. It really works well.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Olfa (ergonomic -- curved) -- I have both 60 and 90 (Joanns 1/2 price). I use the 60 in the June Tailor Shape cut. I also have the 18 and 28 (the 18 is straight) -- I use the little ones to rip long lines of stitching that are not quite right . Have tried Fons and Porter (gave it to the church quilters) and ditto with Fiskars. Just like the feel of the Olfa. Tried the Martelli at a quilt show -- hits my hand in the wrong place so I did not consider it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have an Olfa 45 mm that retracts the blade when you let go of the handle. I am very happy with it.

I have an OLFA 45 and really like it especially the safety aspect, when you lay it down the blade automatically retracts. The' ergonomical' one looks good too, but I haven't tried it. Angi

Blog Entries
    I have an older Olfa (both 60 & 45) and have always been happy with their performance, as long as I remember to close the blade....

I replaced my Olfa 45mm with the quick change Olfa. I love it. I absolutely hated changing blades before and put it off as long as possible. The quick change is just that - quick!
    http://www.olfa.com/rotarycuttersdet...px?c=81&id=520
    Pat

I have never used anything but an Olfa rotary cutter, and I love them. I am sure there are other good brands out there, but I have not tried them.

A have a small Olfa, two medium Olfas, one large Olfa, a medium Fiskars, one medium Martelli, and one large Martelli... There is no contest... because of my carpel tunnel, the Martelli cutters enable me to cut more fabric without pain. I don't like the Olfas. The Fiskars is good, but not ergonomic like the Martellis.

I have several cutters. The best one for me is the Gingher cutter. It is solid and easy to glide down the edge of a ruler. I have more success with this cutter than any other cutter.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Where can I find the Martelli cutter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    Ditto...I like my Martelli too
    Me too! Even though I do have a few other kinds and switch them back and forth. The Martelli blades are great though and can really cut thru a lot of thicknesses.
    Judy

I have abunch of cutters but my favorite is the omnigrid 45. It opens with pressure on the mat and closes with release of pressure. No chance of an accident! The only drawback is it does not work well on a shapecut so thats the only time I use an olfa.

Vat
    Martelli is out of Florida. Google it ! ! ! They are wonderful and gaurenteed. A little pricey but well worth it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
    I have a Gingher that I really like for its heft. I used both Gingher and Olfa blades on it.

Cheers, K
    I love my Gingher as well, and I use any blade I can find in it, including ones from Harbor Freight!
    Debbie Dresser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast