Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm in the doldrums!

I don't get that way after Christmas but that much rain would do it to me. I need sun.

I always feel that way after Christmas is over. Then the day after being my birthday, I'm never excited over it. Frankly, I'm just to darn tired and worn out. I have so many project to get started on, but my family has kept me to busy to 'play'...woe is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Nope, you're not alone. It's the let-down after all the madness and rushing about to get everything perfect.
    Our bodies kinda go into hibernation for a while. Probably a very natural thing. Sleep late a couple of times, stare out the window while drinking coffee while visions of...new quilt patterns dance in your head. Then get up and go outside, if possible, and get some exercise. If not do some inside to get your blood moving.
    Been doing all of the above, except exercise in pouring rain is not an option. A small flooded town of pop. 300 is being evacuated today but we are OK.

Thanks for all your replies. So glad its not just me then. I pulled up my socks slightly and started off on something small and useful - tissue covers for handbags. I have just made 6 and as a bonus feel a bit virtuous by using up bits and pieces. Think tomorrow I might get on to some more breast cancer pump bags. Making for people in need can be good for the soul and spirit. In a couple of weeks' time I will be back to normal when everything gets back into the after-holiday routine.

I hate to sound stupid, but what are breast cancer pump bags? I have never heard of them.
    And yes, after Christmas we usually have to regroup, out bodies cannot keep going non=stop forever. I take a few days just for myself, and zone out reading or watching tv. I don't even feel guilty about wasting time doing these things, because it has been a mad dash since before Thanksgiving.

Feel the same here in MO. I decided that I did for everyone else before Xmas now I can do what I want to do. Started a new quilt. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    I hate to sound stupid, but what are breast cancer pump bags? I have never heard of them.
    I should have said breast drainage, not pump - something entirely different! See, my brain is still not in gear.

They are bags with adjustable straps, worn over the shoulder or across the body, for the Breast Clinic to give to patients who have had a mastectomy and are sent home with drains in situ. Usually they are discharged with two drainage bottles in a hospital pillow slip. Making these bags to carry the drainage bottles makes life more pleasant and convenient for the ladies (and men) as they are often in use for 2 - 3 months. It is a challenge to make them attractive as well as functional.

Hi. Australia. My oldest is there for a year at Griffith in Brissie and has been in shock over the rain. It was supposed to be unbearably hot! Sometimes the best thing for quilting doldrums is just to leave it, go have coffee with a friend, go window shopping at stores you never get to, exchange some mags with another quilter just for fun, walk off some of the Christmas indulgance even if you have to go to an undercover mall. Hope it gets better for you.

Nope, you're not alone. It's the let-down after all the madness and rushing about to get everything perfect.
    Our bodies kinda go into hibernation for a while. Probably a very natural thing. Sleep late a couple of times, stare out the window while drinking coffee while visions of...new quilt patterns dance in your head. Then get up and go outside, if possible, and get some exercise. If not do some inside to get your blood moving.

Or, when all else fails, go into your quilting room and sob into a fat quarter of your favorite colors.
    OMG, u r sooo right!!! ROFL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pearsonstudio
    Hi. Australia. My oldest is there for a year at Griffith in Brissie and has been in shock over the rain. It was supposed to be unbearably hot!
    I am in Brissie (Brisbane) too and believe me, it usually is unbearably hot. This time last year we were in a very bad drought.

I have 2 weeks off during Christmas/New Year's. The lst week I'm busy preparing for Christmas. My son usually arrives Christmas Eve for a 10 day visit and we spend that week doing absolutely nothing. We both are night owls and we like the same movies so we sit and play on our computers and rent movies and eat fast food and by the time the week is over we're ready to get back into the swing of things!

So sorry about all the rain. I am sure that doesn't help with the doldrums. We have overcast all winter (our time now) but today the sun peaked through and it makes you forget all the clouds. Hope you find a sunny day, inside or out.

Quote Originally Posted by leonajo

Or, when all else fails, go into your quilting room and sob into a fat quarter of your favorite colors.
    OMG, u r sooo right!!! ROFL!!!

I experience this 'post Christmas lull' no matter what the holidays bring. Emotionally, Spiritually, Physically - my entire being craves peace, quiet and no expectations of myself or from others. Life doesn't always offer the luxury to give into it, but if at all possible, embrace it and nurture yourself with doing absolutely nothing. Allowing ourselves to be still enables us to regroup, recharge and resume living the productive life we enjoy. You are most definitely not alone -- you are human.

Blog Entries
    I to have have the blas. I had Xmas for four days. They all couldn't get here at the same time. The last was here for dinner tonite. I've done nothing all day. Waiting for them to show up , all the cooking, baking, and sewing I finished up on Xmas morning at 2:30 AM. I've been walking around all day looking for something, but I didn't know what. Tomorrow We are going to the gym for two hours, maybe that will get me in the mood to do something productive. I have another quilt that I need to get started , hopefully tomorrow. Have a wedding Sat, and next week I'm staying with my grand daughter for four days while her mother goes on her honeymoon. She will be in school all day, but we'll find things to do in the evenings. Something to look forward too. So hope I'll getting in the groove soon.

Jim
    I am always glad all the hussle and bustle is over. I rested two days..spent a lot of time on here but, today got right back to work..Using my new twister templates I made MOM a lap quilt to use inher wheelchair. Tomorrow is her 83rd birthday and we will visit the nursing home on Saturday..too bad she remembers nothing..danged Alzheimers.Also have tow king sized Dresden plates to complet by the end of January..so no time to stop now

You're not alone. Don't think it's just you and blame yourself. You probably work too hard at other times and it exhausts your inner strength. Give yourself permission to recover.
    Hugs from England.
    Annie

I'm there too.......I plan to switch to another hobby for a while...crocheting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
    Does anyone else feel like this after Christmas? I have oodles of ideas and projects and new patterns and .. and ... But I would like to know I'm not the only one - please!
    As others have already said, no your not alone with this. I haven't so much as looked at my sewing machine for a good month as we have been away on vacation and then had to get ready for Christmas
    I have a centre to border so I can send it on the 15th Jan and the local challenge piece to be completed by the 21st Feb which I have done no more to than draw up on graph paper. Just can't seem to get motivated enough to do anything at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I seem to go through this most every year after Christmas. I think we just plan so much, and are doing so much that the days fly by, and then , wham! it is over and done and we have to stop and reconnect with everyday things. Give our minds time to adjust. LOL
    EXACTLY :!:

Even though you don't want to hear "pep talks," they ARE what will motivate you, as well as seeing all the beautiful quilts the "board" posts. I have a dear friend in Indiana who is a marvelous quilter--makes a lot of valor quilts for the VA. We get on the phone and "talk" quilting and when I hang up, my first thought is to "get quilting." I don't always do it, but it sure stays in my thoughts and eventually I "get around to it"--like this morning.

We got almost a foot of snow here in Virginia and are somewhat "homebound," which I do no mind at all. Off to make the backing for a baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    This is totally normal. We spend so much time preparing and anticipating for the holidays that when it is over in 20 minutes, we are a little down. It is a psychological thing. We just all have to get through it. I am still anticipating.... family over for New Year's Day and a week later a Baptism for grandbaby girl, Lily. When that is over, I will get hit with the doldrums I suppose. Oh, wait, there if the trip to Tampa for my grandson's first birthday party. Then I really will be down in the dumps! Smile, you have lots of company.

Blog Entries
    You've got House-a-toe-sis!!!! Get out quick. Go shopping and get more fabric and books!!! Then go back and relax and watch it rain while you're looking through them.

Quilting and sewing is in my blood-I would die if my sewing machine was dormant more than one day! I walk by the machine and it's like a magnet-the pedal to the metal even if its only one seam on a piece of patchwork. Finished 5 messenger bags over the weekend and the blocks for the batik swap. My projects are piled high and I love working on them. Moosegirl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
    Does anyone else feel like this after Christmas? I have oodles of ideas and projects and new patterns and .. and ... Every year I get like this, just can't settle to anything. Is it because I have time on my hands, the only spare time in the year, or just the letdown after a busy end of year and celebrations. To really produce I need to be pushed to the limit and time poor. Another good reason could be that we have had continual rain for well over a week and much of Queensland and northern NSW is flooded. You might think that is a good time to get organised, but I get out patterns, sort my stash, scan through my craft magazines, print off projects found by Crafty Bear, decide I am going to finish that Christmas present that has now turned into a birthday present, prepare the backing for a quilt finished 6 months ago and so it goes on. Don't give me motivational hints! I have already given myself a good talking to! But I would like to know I'm not the only one - please!
    Nope, me too. I think it is the letdown after rushing around for months getting things made and getting ready for the "Big Holiday" and then POOF in one day it is over with. I was just cleaning out my fridge of all the leftovers from Christmas Brunch asking myself why I always do this. And every year I tell myself I will make less. Then it seems they eat less. Next year......

Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    I understand what you are saying. One really cool discovery that I have made since moving to Louisiana is that the Mardi Gras season is about to begin and that is a sure cure for the doldrums here. I hope you can find an early spring to perk yourself up! Take Care...
    The problem for Caer Urfa is that it is summer for her in Australia. She has fall and winter to look forward to. I think we are all experiencing the "let down" after the holidays. Cheer up. Think of all those quilting days we will have in the New Year. Best wishes.

Many have mentioned gray, cold, wet weather-- well I live in Florida and it's the same here. I believe these feelings, inertia we experience is in part from running on adrenalin for extended periods. Also realizing how quickly the year has past and those pesky regrets. I try to mentally list the blessings when these feelings surface. Some will say "well that's age talking" (I'm 58), but my 13-18 year old students talk about the same feelings! I stroke and sort my fabric, look at my magazines and books with an eye to something new- a project, technique or skill I've avoided because I didn't have the time to focus on it before. Seems to help me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast