Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm lost!

I finished up the lap quilts I needed to make for Christmas and have NOTHING (well except presents) to work on. At night I usually sit and quilt! So last night I tried my hand at knitting....its something I want to learn and I had a few minutes. Couldn't work on presents cause dh came in and went to sleep and my sewing "nook" is in our bedroom. I am ALL thumbs! I did manage to cast on the stitches the video told me to but when I went to do the next row my hands just couldn't hold it all together. Stitches kept coming off the needles early, and of course by then all of the kids were sitting around watching offering me "helpful" suggestions! So today I'm going to plan my next quilt! This one will be for ds. He likes Overhaul Sam and nine patches. I just ordered some cute fabric that will work perfectly for this too. I'm going to finish my Christmas presents ( I work best under pressure it seems) and get this drawn out. then when Christmas is over I get to start on it! yay!

Banned
    I love to crochet, but never got the hang of knitting

I can knit, but forget crocheting - can't do.

I can't do either. I love to embroider though. Ginny, I like your idea of trying something new when you can't sew--may have to dig out some embroidery for over the holidays.
    Bev: if I forget how I may ask for your help!

thanks for the link! I'm trying to find someone close to me who knows how to knit but so far I'm striking out! So I found a video and am hoping that I can pick it up that way.

I have been really busy with Christmas parties and dinners and life, and my quilting is on hold right now, too. I had ordered three 'barrels' I think they are called of red, green and white cotton yarn from JoAnns to crochet dishcloths. I give them out for Christmas and for our Church bazaar. So if I have a free moment or get a chance to sit down and watch a Christmas TV show, I am crocheting. I need something to do when I'm not doing anything!

I can knit and am trying to learn to crochet. I also love to do hand embroidery and hand quilting.

I finished up all my machine embroidered towels yesterday evening and I, too, feel lost. However, I do have several good books waiting...and then there is a whole cloth mini quilt and the chocolate-raspberry swap and the one block a month swap and gee, maybe I better get busy..... :D

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is so funny how everyone has a different opinon on which is easier. Knit or crochet? For me it's crochet. Knitting has too many stitches to keep on the needle and too hard to quit in the middle of the row.

If you are teaching yourself, try these sites.

http://www.nexstitch.com/index.html

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

These are excellent free sites with videos and patterns for both knitting and crochet. I taught myself to doboth last winter with the help of these sites and a few YouTube videos and now have 3 large afghans to show for it.

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

I crochet all the time - I used to teach 'How to Crochet' and 'How to Read Crochet Patterns' at 2 different Michaels stores. I taught all 4 of my children to crochet. My sons don't crochet now, but they know how. lol My youngest daughter learned at the age of 3. She is very good and fast now at 18.

I wanted to learn to knit, but when I realized how long the process is to 'unknit' if you've made a mistake, I decided to pass on knitting. Some differences between the 2 - crochet works up faster but takes more yarn. It is easier to take out crocheted stitches than knitted stitches. The fashion yarns - i.e. Fancy Fur ... can be difficult to crochet - harder to see the stitches. I usually run a thin smooth yarn along with the fashion yarns when I use them. IMO I think crochet can look 'homemade' and knitting looks more 'professional'.

Funny how crafters always have to be doing something. I can't stand to be without a project or a good book - It keeps me awake at night and I wander around in circles during the day. lol. It's good to know I am not alone --- my DH thinks I am 'hyper and restless and a wee bit crazy' - my friends don't understand this need to make stuff - my kids are just used to it (I used to take over every school project they had to do at home if it involved making something) I am sooooo relieved to find out I am not the only one with this obsession.

my DH thinks I am 'hyper and restless and a wee bit crazy' - my friends don't understand this need to make stuff - my kids are just used to it (I used to take over every school project they had to do at home if it involved making something) I am sooooo relieved to find out I am not the only one with this obsession.[/quote]

My husband says, "You always have to be doing something, don't you?" Well, yes, why just sit and do nothing... I am either quilting, doing embroidery, hand work of some kind - - - cannot stand to just sit and watch TV for hours - ours is off all day long, but at 5:00 Glenn Beck is turned on and the TV is on for hte rest of the night - EGAD!!! I do not like it.. I LOVE GB - but after he is done, I'd turn it off... oh well... I'll just keep being busy.. I DO relax by reading - alot

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    It is so funny how everyone has a different opinon on which is easier. Knit or crochet? For me it's crochet. Knitting has too many stitches to keep on the needle and too hard to quit in the middle of the row.

If you are teaching yourself, try these sites.

http://www.nexstitch.com/index.html

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php

Please post pictures of your blankets! I'd love to see them. I sure miss the "music" my Mom used to make when she knitted. Those knitting needles (metal) would just sing. I loved to hear her knit. She would sit and count in German and knit so much she would create a hole in her index finger from pushing down the needle. I have done tiny bit of crocheting and my Mom was too frustrated to teach me knitting...but I sure did try! ;0)

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

These are excellent free sites with videos and patterns for both knitting and crochet. I taught myself to doboth last winter with the help of these sites and a few YouTube videos and now have 3 large afghans to show for it.

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    my DH thinks I am 'hyper and restless and a wee bit crazy' - my friends don't understand this need to make stuff - my kids are just used to it (I used to take over every school project they had to do at home if it involved making something) I am sooooo relieved to find out I am not the only one with this obsession.

Personally, I think you're perfectly normal -- it's everyone else out there who a wee bit crazy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hubby loves to watch GB too. Personally, I think he looks like Garth Brooks on crack so it's hard for me to concentrate on what he says :D :D

If it involves a needle of any kind, thread, fabric or any textiles, I've probably tried it at least.and I've taught myself to do most of them. I think crochet is easier than knitting, and tatting is the most difficult.I always wanted to take a class in bobbin lace as that looks the most difficult to me, but just never got around to it.........(thank heaven) as there are not enough hours in the day as it is. a very easy learners project is to knit dish cloths out of knit crosheen. I used to make a lot of them for gifts. there used to be a series of booklets called "Teach yourself to knit" or "Teach yourself to crochet" I found those to be the easiest teaching aids.
    Good luck with your new project.

Blog Entries
    I recently tried locker hooking. I get to use fabric strips from scraps or ugly fabric. It's easy. Here is video how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iQwz-JesM

I'm glad there are other people that just "Have to be making something." I've tried sitting watching tv without any sewing or knitting, but to be honest, it bores me.

Hubby, only gets annoyed if he's watching something and I'm deciding on which blocks and fabrics... I seem to have the "distracting" habit of either humming a tune or talking myself through the designs as I decided lol!

I was very fortunate to have one grandmother teach me to knit, the other to crochet, and my mother to sew. And my dad taught me how to change the oil in my car, rotate my tires and set the timing light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I was very fortunate to have one grandmother teach me to knit, the other to crochet, and my mother to sew. And my dad taught me how to change the oil in my car, rotate my tires and set the timing light.
    You pretty much described ME!!! :D:D:D
    Mom taught me to crochet, Grama to embroider, Dad taught me about cars and building houses :D:D:D

My mother taught me to knit, when I was around 9 yrs old, but it was tedious and slow. My aunt tried to teach me to crochet when I was 15 yrs old but she worked the hook so fast I couldn't figure out what she was doing. So, I bought myself a "Teach Yourself to Crochet" booklet and learned that way. I can knit, have even made a sweater, but I like to crochet more because it moves along so much faster but I do like the softness that a knitted article is. Keep working at it and it will get easier with time.

Blog Entries
    I can knit and I can crochet, but I can't keep the tension when I crochet. Oh my goodness, you should see the amazing shapes I have created over time (and they were supposed to be simple squares. lol)

Had to give up knitting due to tendonitis.

So now it's quilting all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    my DH thinks I am 'hyper and restless and a wee bit crazy' - my friends don't understand this need to make stuff - my kids are just used to it (I used to take over every school project they had to do at home if it involved making something) I am sooooo relieved to find out I am not the only one with this obsession

My husband says, "You always have to be doing something, don't you?" Well, yes, why just sit and do nothing... I am either quilting, doing embroidery, hand work of some kind - - - cannot stand to just sit and watch TV for hours - ours is off all day long, but at 5:00 Glenn Beck is turned on and the TV is on for hte rest of the night - EGAD!!! I do not like it.. I LOVE GB - but after he is done, I'd turn it off... oh well... I'll just keep being busy.. I DO relax by reading - alot
    It is a gift ... and a curse! The desire to create is God-given ... and a blessing. But, when others cannot understand "why" ... it feels like a curse!
    Our "busyness" make some uncomfortable.
    But, don't let them get you down, my dear.;)
    It is a grand opportunity to teach others about their unique gifts and how we all have them, and WHY we have them - - to be a blessing to others.

I am the same way! When one project is finished, I wonder around feeling lost...until I start the next project. I can knit and crochet and embroider, do counted cross stitch and regular sewing. Taught myself to crochet when I was pregnant with my first baby (now 36 and a goldsmith). I prefer crocheting over knitting...I have trouble with the 2 needles. Also, I quickly found out that it was easier to pick up lost stitches with crocheting. (the stitches that got pulled out when my then 3 year old son would grab my yarn and run away wanting me to chase him and play!)

well I know how to crochet but haven't done it in years. My Grannie and I learned to crochet at the same time and she is the one who taught me to sew. I want to make socks though! I had a stepmother teach me cross stitch and I still do that occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    well I know how to crochet but haven't done it in years. My Grannie and I learned to crochet at the same time and she is the one who taught me to sew. I want to make socks though! I had a stepmother teach me cross stitch and I still do that occasionally.
    If you can learn to relax and do two stitches, you will be able to make anything .... knit and purl ...
    I have met many people who have decided to knit and picked a difficult project, then became frustrated and never wanted to do it again!
    the first project I ever did was twenty stitches wide, and straight knit stitch ... a pincushion in four pieces, each piece sewed into a tube ... and nestled inside each other, oh my goodness! 47 years ago! mom still has that original pincushion ... bless her heart
    Anyway, don't be in too much hurry ... first learn the basic stitch of knitting, say a scarf on size 10 needles, two strands of four ply yarn, cast on twenty stitches and knit every row
    (almost everything we learn to do, we learn by doing the same thing over and over and over again)
    with knitting ... you have to learn how to relax, take one stitch at a time, and be consistent with your tension, not too tight, not too loose, and how to use needles as a tool, instead of something that doesn't really fit in your hands ...
    one stitch, two needles, patience with yourself ... and, VIOLA! In three months you will be showing us your socks!
    might want to practice knitting in fifteen minute increments ... sometimes frustration is best handled in little doses, and then you realize ... oh, my goodness! This isn't as frustrating today as it was yesterday!

Knitting and crocheting are like everything else it just takes time patience and practise. Have been crocheting since I was a kid and took up knitting in the last couple of years and now I can complete a project with only a few frustrations and having to take out stitches. Don't give up, you can do it

thank you Omak! I got casting down pretty good and I did ok on the knitting stitch. Then at purling I couldn't keep it on the needles. Of course it didn't help that by that time I had acquired 5 observers who were making comments! I am going to keep on until i get it though!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast