Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050! >

Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

This is so horribly difficult! And im only doing lines. I dont know how people do FMQ on a domestic machine. Im so frustrated.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Yeah ive only done lines and s lines. I guess i dont have patience?? Skill?? Rather send to LA!! Ill do littles pieces but nothing else!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM

It is tough on those small machines, but it can be done. Try to give the quilt as much support as possible. Find your best method of controlling the excess. For me, just puddling it up seems to work best, but many people roll it up. Take lots of breaks so it doesn't drive you crazy. You will get there.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 PM

There's a great class on Craftsy on "Quilting a Large Quilt on a Domestic Machine." It really helped me. Now what I do is divide a big quilt into 4 pieces, quilt each of the 4 sections, which is much easier since it's so much smaller. Then I put the 4 pieces together. This is only one of her suggestions, and the one I find easiest. There are several more demonstrations and tutorials on doing it different ways, including quilting the whole thing. It's really worth your while if you want to do large quilts at home.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 PM

I actually have that class and I do think it helped a lot but it was still hard! But I'm so excited... I did it! I finished quilting it tonight now all I have to do is the binding! My daughter is going to be so excited! I can't wait to see her face when I give it to her. Yay!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 AM

Have you dropped the feed dogs completely . My janome goes so far then stops but not in the exact spot needs an extra push.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:06 AM

There was a video on quilting in "columns" that someone posted a while back, maybe they will post again. I too have a small domestic machine and only attempt 54 x 72 throws. Nothing larger. But if I ever find that video again, I might give a larger one a try.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 AM

I quilt on my domestic. I only do outline and stitch in the ditch. I have done queen size and although it takes a little work it came out good. First I baste and pin both. Then I accordian pleat instead of roll, it doesn't seem to feel as stiff that way. I wear a pr of quilting gloves to help move it around and also start quilting in the middle. I also have my table against the wall so that the quilt doesn't hang over and drag on me. Good luck, hope this helps
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 AM

Also I'm not doing free motion. I do increase my stitch length
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM

As a hand quilter I can only repeat that quilting by hand is much more relaxing and allows one to carry on a conversation or enjoy watching TV with the family etc. while getting the quilt finished. I was never fond of machine quilting but being struck with a rare illness 14 years ago that permanently weakened most of my muscles I physically have a problem with wrestling a bed size quilt under my machine. Just sewing on the binding leaves me exhausted. In contrast I can spend hours hand quilting while enjoying my husband's or other family members company without the racket of the machine or the frustration of bobbins running out etc. Part of the enjoyment of quilting is handling the fabric etc. While hand quilting my hands are constantly in contact with one of my most favorite things. I have seen beautiful work done by long armers. I feel as if I would be like a worker in a sewing factory if I were to use a long arm machine. I also physically could not do the standing required.