Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I'm not too fussy about backing fabric--R U?

i try to match or compliment the front of my quilt with my backing i guess thats the way i started doing it and have done it ever since

If I make tablerunners, then I pick a fabric for backing that's in the front. The reason is however your mood is you can turn the tablerunner. But for a wallhanging I don't care I use whatever I have. Often I bought 4 to 5 yards from 2$ fabric in a small print from Walmart. I also buy marked down fabric from JoAnn for backing.

I like to back my quilts with good sheets. They work really well.

I made a quilt using all my kids old cord bell bottom pants and found a striped sheet that made a perfect coorodianting back.

I use sheets for childrens quilts, they need to wash well after all, and I do not hand quilt. I have used Ikea fabrics because the designs are very different.I love buying kits from USA because a coordinating fabric for the back is usually included. All others I do try to match them in but if the need arises I do piece with fabric from the front. Barbara Australia

As I am now retired and living on a low fixed income, any fabric I buy goes on the quilt top where it will be seen. I usually buy sheets from the charity shops for the back, or if I'm lucky I may be able to find a large piece of fabric in one of them, I've even used cotton curtains from the charity shop and the curtain linings make great foundation squares for string quilts.

I like solid pieces of plain fabric or muslin for backing. If hand quilted, the are much more attraactive.(almost prettier than the pieced front)

I grew up in the South with both my Grandmother and Great Grandmother quilting in the house. I, of course, couldn't be bothered then, silly me, but anyway, I was grown before I ever knew anybody used anything for backing except muslin and I am sure the backs must have been pieced. So, now in my old age, I don't worry too much about backing.

what are the pro's and con's of using a sheet for a backing?. I haven't tried it yet, but have wondered. I use muslin backing, so far, with one exception, I added a strip to each side and the top, of a same fabric I used on the front of a quilt..
    I like the muslin feel, it is soft and hopefully, wears great! I also found at Joanne fabrics, a roll of batting, 20 yards by 59-60" wide...it was 39.99, and with the 40% coupon they always have, it came out almost half price. It would be great to use for baby quilts, or throws...I bought the poly batting, because I like the light weight feel. This is a disapearing 9 patch, and because her favorite color is lime green, her mother asked me to add that color...this is as close as I could fine a lime green.
    This is how it was suppose to look, and then how it looked, finished.

backing pieced with same fabric used on the front.
    Name:  Attachment-76648.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  46.4 KB

before the blocks were sewn together.
    Name:  Attachment-76649.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  47.4 KB

finished quilt
    Name:  Attachment-76650.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  43.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I'm glad for the discussion about sheets. I recently discovered that a nearby thrift shop has a huge variety of 100 percent cotton sheets. I picked up some to use as backing. For example, I got a king-sized sheet for about $2. It has some pastel designs on it and would be a great backing for a kid's quilt. The sheet looks brand-new or at the very least lightly used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    I use either wide fabric, pieced one fabric (say 5 yards of one fabric), or horrors - a sheet...
    I had a woman say to me, "The back should be as good as the front - think about it, what gets the most WEAR - the front or back?".... she's right, the back is what gets the most wear...
    I try to co-ordinate the front and back with regard to color and if I use a floral print (or other print) it 'goes with' what's on front - I don't want anything jarring, or incongruous... or slapdash...
    I agree. I cringe whenever I hear someone say they buy "cheap' fabric for the back of a quilt. That's what I always say - "What gets the most wear?" just like YOU said. Plus, as I pull it up over me, I like to see something interesting - that's why I piece or use wild fabric for the back.
    I truly never thought of it that way :oops:

One of my favorite quilt backs is one I pieced from the leftover fabrics that I used in the front. It's like a reversible quilt.

I buy beautiful quilt backs ... the fabric is between 108 and 120" wide. The highest price is $9.99/yd. The last time I went there they had them all for $5.99 to $6.99/yd. I bought a ton! Most of what they have is tone-on-tone marbled. They have some very rich colors, deep purples, greens, blues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by in2stitchin
    I buy beautiful quilt backs ... the fabric is between 108 and 120" wide. The highest price is $9.99/yd. The last time I went there they had them all for $5.99 to $6.99/yd. I bought a ton! Most of what they have is tone-on-tone marbled. They have some very rich colors, deep purples, greens, blues, etc.
    And your secret source is??????

The store is called "FM Store" it is @ 1368 East Sunshine in Springfield, MO 65804.

It looks like a hole in the wall. But I get high quality quilting fabric AND the most beautiful quilt backs at very reasonable prices. I also bet my batting from him (it's a Dad and son business). They don't have a web site. The only way to shop there is in person.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by in2stitchin
    The store is called "FM Store" it is @ 1368 East Sunshine in Springfield, MO 65804.

It looks like a hole in the wall. But I get high quality quilting fabric AND the most beautiful quilt backs at very reasonable prices. I also bet my batting from him (it's a Dad and son business). They don't have a web site. The only way to shop there is in person.

Good Luck!
    Well, its just a bit more than a day trip from Dallas! Darn. I do have many ancestors from that area and my mother was born there. Small world. Will make sure to drop by if I ever get up there. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Other places with very good prices on quilt backing are Thousands of Bolts, Mary Jo's, Over the Rainbow, Desperate Quilters to name a few.

I am used to making king size and always used one fabric for the back, but I am now usiing the left-overs from the front to piece the back, It doesnt look bad at all.

Blog Entries
    My mother always used a sheet on the back of her quilts and they looked really nice.
    I have read where people are using whatever they have left from the front of the quilt and it's called "back art". It uses up the fabric left from one quilt so you can buy fabric for the next one! Sounds like a deal to me.

PJO

I piece my backs when I don't have a big enough backing for the whole quilt. I use a solid color and once its quilted you can't tell unless you look really, really close.

I often piece the backing so that I can use up fabrics that I have on hand. I do like to coordinate the back and the front. Ideally I like that anything I made, either a throw quilt, bed quilt, or table topper, can be flipped over and look nice. So I prefer prints over plain colors for backing, but I use both, just depends on what I have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    I grew up with handmade quilts from the 1920s and '30s and the backs were pieced together just like the tops.
    So I don't get upset if I have to piece my backings, even if it's with non-matching fabric.
    Granted, I don't make quilts to be judged. If I did I would, of course, be more careful about it.
    But I overheard a lady at my LQS saying how she didn't buy enough of her backing fabric, and was having trouble finding more, etc. (I don't know if she make quilts for judging.)
    But it got me thinking if I'm too casual about my quilt backings?
    How about the rest of you?
    Do you panic if your backing on non-judging quilts can't be all the same fabric?
    I try my best to match but am afraid to piece the back --------is it easy?

I don't mind pieced backings at all, I just hate to do it. More cutting and ironing! I try to use backing fabric, but even looking online, you can't always gauge the color until it's in your hands.

Blog Entries
    I buy several yards of a neutral 118" wide flannel that I back things with.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I like my backs to coordinate - not necessarily match - the front of the quilt. Sometimes I use one fabric, but more often I find myself piecing them. I don't mind piecing, but I do tend to plan it, rather than just sew a bunch of leftovers together. Here are some of my backs.
    I love your backs. thank you for sharing and God bless. Penny

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast