Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so new at quilting that I feel like I'm running out of time.

I really wish I had started quilting years and years ago. I feel like I have wasted so much time.
    I started quilting 2 years ago and have only made 1 king and 2 baby quilts. Now I have so many loved ones I want to make quilts for. I'm 57 and it takes me so long to finish a quilt that I feel at my age I am running out of time and I will never be able to make a quilt for all of them. I am finishing up my son's quilt and still have another daughter I need to start one for, not to mention the 6 grandkids that want one . And my DH, can't forget DH. I have another baby quilt to do and my sister-in-law wants me to make one for her. I love that someone would want something that I have made, I just hope that I can get them all done before I get really old and unable to sew.
    Is that silly or what?? LOL

Blog Entries
    How funny! Just take a deep breath...and start sewing!

pick easy patterns that go fast

I can understand your feelings. I just started quilting about a year ago. I am 68. I'm not going to stress over everyone who wants a quilt. I will get to it when I get to it. Right now I am making cell phone pouches for each family member who has a phone and wants one. I can do one of those in one day and they turn out great, if I do say so myself. When I get the third one done I will post pictures.

Nope...I'm 55 and discovered quilting in 07 when I bought my first embroidery/sewing combo machine...Bought it mainly for the embroidery which then morfed into quilting and I too wish I was younger because I have so many things in my brain that I want to create I don't know if I'll be able accomplish all of it
    So your not alone...
    My problem is I'm obsessive and I whip out one or two quilts a wk and how many can you keep so I surprise family and friends and mail them off.
    I've layed off that and now involved with some of the Block of the Months on this site and swaps which takes me in a diff direction for a change...Totally enjoying it...Discover Mug Rug's and Doll Quilts. So now I'm working in minature and loving that...Doesn't take up allot of room!!!!

It's not a race; it's a process. Just enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    I sure do know that feeling, I am 72! I don"t sew or cut out out as fast as I did back when I made my first quilts, could easily do at least one a week,, and baby size I could do in a day. Now it seems to take a week just to cut out. But, I'll keep at it and maybe I'll be around for awhile yet. Hope so anyway!!

If you haven't done a disappearing 9 patch d9p on here experiment a bit with it. I've been trying different colors, different turns after I cut them, things like that. It's fast and you can make a beautiful quilt with it. Search d9p if you're not familiar with it.

Just work at your own pace. None of us know how long our time will be here on earth. An Accu-Cut Go might help you cut pieces quicker. I prefer machine quilting (generally stitch in the ditch!) and even machine stitch the binding which speeds up the process for me. And there are many easy (equals quick) patterns that go together quickly but look really nice.

I have way more that I want to do than I will be able to do in my lifetime, but that has been the story of my life. I just enjoy one project at a time. If one isn't going particularly well, I put it aside and pick up another. In the end, I will have plenty of fabric, UFO's and PIGS for the next quilter and I will have enjoyed making many quilts.

Blog Entries
    I think we all worry about not getting all the things we want to do in this lifetime. No matter what age you started, just relax and take one quilt, one day, one whatever and enjoy what you are making at the time.
    We are not guarenteed tomorrow, so enjoy today. And if there is something left when we are gone, maybe someone will pick it up and keep going in memory of us.

Blog Entries
    I understand completely, I keep bookmarking all the quilts I love on this site, but there is no way I could possibly make 1/4 of them. Have you tried making rag quilts for your grandchildren, I can make one in a day or two , they are fast and easy and they love them because they are so soft and cuddly. (You also don't have to be perfect in your sewing because it does not show because of the ragging. )

At 57 you are just a baby. My grandmothers were sewing in their 90's & my aunt is 88 & still doing beautiful hand embroidery. You have lots of time. I started quilting when I was 55 & have more quilts than I know what to do with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    If you haven't done a disappearing 9 patch d9p on here experiment a bit with it. I've been trying different colors, different turns after I cut them, things like that. It's fast and you can make a beautiful quilt with it. Search d9p if you're not familiar with it.
    I was just going to say I have 3 nephews & one neice that has been waiting for a quilt forever (I'm 54 & have health issues) so I too wonder if I will be able to get them finished before my time expires. I was planning on the disappearing 9 patch like they show on the board all the time. Will be the easiest & looks more complicated once it's done! They will think I fussed over the pattern for weeks!

Blog Entries
    IDK if it will make a difference to you but, it seems like I hear more complaints about having trouble cutting pieces than actually sewing them. If your worried about that, then maybe you could cut out a few quilts at a time and save a few for when you feel like your not up to cutting accurately. (hopefully 30 yrs from now!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    It's not a race; it's a process. Just enjoy it.
    I agree, while I admire some of you who can produce great quantities of quilts, I also admire those you enjoy each and every step of the process no matter how long it takes. I have yet to make a quilt, just small projects and have good friends that I practice on -- No matter how much time you have, you never have enough!!

Blog Entries
    Just enjoy yourself! If u feel rushed and then won't enjoy it. Try 10 min blocks. Fast, easy and looks nice.

Blog Entries
    With all the projects and ideas I got, I will have to live at least 120 yrs.

Don't worry, just enjoy what you are doing.

Blog Entries
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Sounds like you are really commited! I am sure you will surprise yourself with what you will get done now that you are really addicted to quilting!!! Just have fun and enjoy it :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Don't forget to post pics :!:

I feel the same way. But I'm just enjoying my quilting now and will as long as I can.

Its really how many you do but how much love you put into the ones you do. At this rate you will probably burn out trying to get to everyone. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Me too.

Blog Entries
    I just started last year at the tender age of 60! Had to retire to get enough time.

Blog Entries
    One day at a time. Pick the patterns and fabric that you love, something you want to give to a special person, don't be pressured into making something you don't want to, it won't turn out right anyway. Enjoy each day and each project.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast