Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm stumped. What would *you* do?

Blog Entries

I'm stumped. What would *you* do?

So, a bit ago (like a year, but this is my typical 'storage/ferment' new fabric habit!) I picked up a panel and some coordinates in this pattern by Maywood Studio called Halloweenie -
    https://d1nvdmt0osh3cv.cloudfront.ne.../MAS8636-Z.jpg

So, I thought it would be fun to fit them into the center of some different 'star' block patterns like the Ohio and Missouri, and make a 'simple table runner'. I get the quilting rulers out to see how large a center it's going to be, and *it's not a square*. Like, there's a good 1/4 to 3/8" difference in one direction of the little panels than the other, making them actually more of a rectangle than square. I mean, I could cut _all_ the borders off, but then, what fun is the little panel? I seem to lose all luck when I buy cute novelty panels with squares in them. The total size of each square (before the tan fabric in between them) depending on the side - 6 3/4" -7".

Am I being thick-headed and stubborn and not seeing an obvious solution? Do I give up on the star pattern? Do I just cut it square and cut off some of one side of the panel? That idea kind of gets me in the OCD, lol.

For this weekend I gave up and put binding on another UFO. I'd love any/all of your suggestions!
    Singer 301 (Zsuzsi), Janome DC1050, Brother XR3140 -when did THAT happen?!

Blog Entries
    I so understand this delima! I have one of bunnies that is staring at me as I am typing. Like you I tend to OCD about it. Maybe you want to trim them down and add a boarder to it. Trim it up to the size of the star block you decide to do. The halloween blocks will then fit nicely as a square to the next square star. At this time of the year you should be able to match the colors in you panels to an added boarder. Best of luck.

I would still make the star but fit the point's to each side. Yes the star would be taller than wide but it would still be a star. Cute panel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
    I so understand this delima! I have one of bunnies that is staring at me as I am typing. Like you I tend to OCD about it. Maybe you want to trim them down and add a boarder to it. Trim it up to the size of the star block you decide to do. The halloween blocks will then fit nicely as a square to the next square star. At this time of the year you should be able to match the colors in you panels to an added boarder. Best of luck.
    True, I do have enough of the coordinating fabrics I could do this... I'm just trying to decide *how* much it bothers me as is! Thank you for the sympathy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I would still make the star but fit the point's to each side. Yes the star would be taller than wide but it would still be a star. Cute panel.
    Ha! You have a point... (pun intended) I guess I could do the math and wing it that way. Not sure my EQ8 skills are up to the chore, but I might poke at it this way too. Either way would be a challenge to 'figger', which might be a good thing.

Each panel "square" gives you a lot of wiggle room that won't be perceived despite your OCD tendencies. To prove my point, when you bought it you thought they were squares. I would pick a center size that captures the center square and the first accent border. The solid colored outer borders ( the orange around the witch, the black around the bats, the green around the cats, etc) is where you can square them up. If the smallest size side of all of them is 6 3/4" I would cut them all at 6 1/2" square, ensuring when I cut the square the picture was centered.

Toverly also offers an excellent suggestion and you can even make them wonky stars (different size points) to further distract that they are not square, which adds to the whimsy of Halloween.

Power Poster
    I would wash and dry these panels before cutting them

Then, after ironing/ pressing them from the back, you can better see just what you have to work with.

I recently used a panel in the back of a quilt, it was so skewed off in so many ways it was to my comfort level unusable.

But like Feline pointed out, I thought they were square when I bought it. I tugged, I blocked, I did everything I could. Finally I used one set of lines as "straight" and was all over the place when I made it with right angles/straight grain.

I agree with Feline. 'Make' them square using the border colors.
    Jane

Blog Entries
    I work with a lot of panels at the LQS for shop samples...some are small squares, others 2/3 yard cuts. My current project is a 1 1/4 yd cut. We do not wash and dry panels. Like feline says, find the design center and cut as she suggested. I do this all the time. Often times narrow borders known as coping strips, are added to the preprint and then cut to an overall uniform size. Not too long ago I had a flannel panel that was "not square". I followed the instructions on the pattern using the coping strips and trimmed to the specified measurement and finished piecing the borders. When all quilted and bound, all was fine.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

You might try something like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGt6_pWo6zs

They are different sizes.

Power Poster
    The question was "What would you do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post

What a neat way of applying borders to make all the blocks in the panel the same size! Thanks for the video.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Like Bearisgray, I would wash the fabric first, to see if I could stretch/iron the blocks more square. If that didn't work I would cut them apart including half the sashing/background and square them up that way. Some of the background will be taken up in the seams.

Name:  non sqs.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  8.0 KB

Power Poster
    It seems like I am sort of an odd one - I like the threads to be perpendicular to each other in the piece when I cut it.

I have heard "that grain line does not matter in small pieces" - and when making a kaleidoscope type block, I do ignore grain line - but I still want the fabric to be "doing what it wants" when I cut it.

Just a “what if”... maybe do some paper piecing? Just a thought. You might feel a little more in control of things? That is probably what i would try.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link...good to know on many counts!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
    So, a bit ago (like a year, but this is my typical 'storage/ferment' new fabric habit!) I picked up a panel and some coordinates in this pattern by Maywood Studio called Halloweenie -
    https://d1nvdmt0osh3cv.cloudfront.ne.../MAS8636-Z.jpg

So, I thought it would be fun to fit them into the center of some different 'star' block patterns like the Ohio and Missouri, and make a 'simple table runner'. I get the quilting rulers out to see how large a center it's going to be, and *it's not a square*. Like, there's a good 1/4 to 3/8" difference in one direction of the little panels than the other, making them actually more of a rectangle than square. I mean, I could cut _all_ the borders off, but then, what fun is the little panel? I seem to lose all luck when I buy cute novelty panels with squares in them. The total size of each square (before the tan fabric in between them) depending on the side - 6 3/4" -7".

Am I being thick-headed and stubborn and not seeing an obvious solution? Do I give up on the star pattern? Do I just cut it square and cut off some of one side of the panel? That idea kind of gets me in the OCD, lol.

For this weekend I gave up and put binding on another UFO. I'd love any/all of your suggestions!

A while ago I saw a video by a fabric manufacturer which showed how to fold and iron panels to square them up.
    Debbie
    Machine It

Blog Entries
    Its a really cute panel. That said, I think the panels are getting to be poor quality. They stretch way more than 100% cotton should. Try starching the heck out of it and ironing it into submission. Be sure and use the "right words" when doing this..
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    narrow borders known as coping strips
    Today I Learned! I used them in my Cowboys quilt and I didn't even know what I was doing had a name! Thank you, oksewglad, for teaching me this today.

I have been searching what to do with some Christmas panels and found this video from Missouri Star. Near the end, she shows a panel and has bordered it with pinwheel blocks, big ones and little ones. She said she makes the blocks she wants to use as a border, then measures that border, then cuts/trims the panel to match that measurement.
    Don't know if this helps you or not as I didn't exactly understand how many of the panel squares you wanted to use in your runner. I would use one row of the squares and surround it with the pieced border blocks but not cut the panel until I had made the border. (She shows this method on the third panel near the end of the 7 min. video.)
    Great Idea by the way and may work for one of the Christmas panels I am looking at now.
    Murphy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jc09oVtdA

Clever and easy solution. I've usually avoided panels with varying size pieces, but I won't after viewing this video. Thanks for posting, Rhonda.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Unless I cut the panel apart I add a border around the panel and then cut it square. After it's quilted the little difference in border is not noticeable.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    All: Thanks!! I’m churning my gears on it now with all sorts of possible solutions. I've added a closer look at the panel print issue - it seems fairly square, but one side (of the very center) is 4 and 3/8" and the other is 4 and 5/8". The difference continues on through the surrounding borders.

Feline: Fine idea with either ‘going with the wonk’ and making different point sizes, or trimming on the colored border. Trimming a patterned border makes me hesitate, but I’ll take a closer look.

Bear: I hadn’t thought about wash/dry/starch…the pattern itself is correctly *placed* on the fabric (as in, it’s not really skewed due to being stretched oddly on the bolt) it’s just not a true measurement on each side, I think deliberately done?

Oksewglad: “Coping strips”! Help me cope with my measuring issues, I like the idea! 

Rhonda K: Oh my *gosh* I love Donna Jordan – who does not usually work with panels, so I didn’t even think to look in her videos – she knows how to fix everything, doesn’t she? I love her method here…and if not for this quilt, surely for some other purchased panels (why am I a sucker for them?!). I’ve several problematic purchases, ha!

Gay: Thanks for the graphic, I can see using the partial sashing as the seam and getting a better square…

AprilM: You know, just yesterday I momentarily thought about how paper piecing might make it easier. I’ve never paper pieced, but this would surely not be the most difficult project to start!

Tuckyquilter: I *think* I just might know some of those right words!

Murphy224: Thanks, I’ll look at that video tonight!

Onebyone: Yeah, I’m just wondering how large these might end up if I add the border then square them up… I suppose if they are TOO large, I can use them for individual placemats, or for a larger wall quilt?

I truly appreciate all who took a moment to help me ponder. Always some new insights I’d *never* have had!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I see what you mean - the picture helps - I thought the printing was off-grain - which it often is on panels.

At first glance, it does seem to be square - but - - - - - -

If it was mine - and I wanted to maximize the white/ivory area, I might make a 4-7/8v(see-through) template and use that to fussy cut around each square - and then do the sashing/fudgeing strips to bring the squares up to a more easily manageable size to make stars.

Or I might just decide to use it as a whole cloth piece and call it good enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast