Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inexperienced needs help with proposing to girlfriend!!

Well, isn't that the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time??? (If she dares to say "no", I will divorce my husband and marry you!!!) Good luck with this wonderful idea!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think you should go ahead with the idea thinking she will say yes. You know her. I think the wallhanging idea is a great idea. I think doing applique would be so easy. I think going to your local quilt shop and asking them for advice on appliqueing would be what you need to do. Congrats (in advance)!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
    Well, isn't that the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time??? (If she dares to say "no", I will divorce my husband and marry you!!!) Good luck with this wonderful idea!!
    Putting in my offer to be next in line - however I am not married! What a true keeper (that's you young man)!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

What an awesome thoughtful way of proposing; something that would be unique and special to her!! Good luck on your endeavor; you'll do just fine. Please post a pic of the completed quilt or wallhanging along with her answer! You can't leave us all hanging....
    ​Krysti

What a good idea!

Why not use the international signalling flags to write your message? Each flag is easily to piece (easier than letters) - and it would certainly make a nautically themed quilt. Plus - the quilt would be more useful after you 'unroll' the question.

Blog Entries
    My best advice is secretly take a quilting course. That way you get help from experts.

What a sweet idea! I'm glad you're giving yourself lots of time. A lot of beginning quilters decide they want to make a special project with only a couple of weeks to complete figuring it looks easy to make a quilt so it can't take much time. Not!

Blog Entries
    As you've had no experience why not approach a local quilt shop and ask about beginners classes. Tell what you want to do and I'm sure they will fall over each other to help you. Don't leave it too long to start as you don't want to rush it.

This is a very romantic thing to do and I wish you both all the best for the future..

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you're a keeper! Starting off on this way is definitely a good sign
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I have an embroidery machine and would be delighted to embroider the words on fabric for you. Maybe you could put it on the back as a quilt label. Just pm me if you are interested! Anything in the name of love! LOL

Blog Entries
    Well, you certainly have received great ideas for your important project. I am curious. How did you find this board and go about inquiring? Is your intended a member of this board? Ooops, that would be amazing. Anyway, it would make a nice addition to journal this journey and record it in a nice notebook to go along with your quilt/proposal/ring. What a keepsake!! And, yes, you are a keeper for her, for sure.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Great Idea

I couldn't agree more with all the nice things that folks have told you here. Please don't be discouraged by the work involved. Believe me I think she will fall over you for taking such an interest in something that she so loves. Any one who quilts will know just how much thought you have put into this project and how much work that you put forth to do this for her. I wish you all the luck and congrats on your engagement and marriage. You seem to be a guy that any women would love to be married too. All of the helpful tips that you have already recieved will help you to accomplish this project .

young man, you are definitely a keeper! You're thoughtfulness in wanting to create such a quilt is awesome! You've been given some really good advice here. The only thing I would add is to sit down & put your ideas of how you want the quilt to look when it's finished on paper. Then go to the local quilt shop & start asking questions. Believe me, we all will help in this endeavor. Good luck & congratulation (in advance). Please keep us posted as to the progress of your project. And the end result!

The "surprise" could be completely hidden from those prying eyes that cannot keep a secret by having the proposal on the quilt's label.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    I agree that going to a local quilt shop, or local quilt guild would be a good idea, provided she isn't a part of that guild. If you want to find one, just google "quilt guilds in (wherever you are)" . Information with local and contact information will pop up. Lots of guilds have websites, so if your girlfriend is a member of a guild in your town, chance are there is a guild in a neighboring town that would LOVE to help. I think as much as this board would like to help, there's a lot to be said for a beginner to actually be able to see and interact with an instructor. Good luck and please, please, please send a picture of what you do!!

I wouldn't dream of not posting a picture of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Seems like great intentions but not having made a quilt before this may end up being more than you care to handle. (hours and hours of precesion cutting and sewing, then it needs to be quilted) She might appreciate a bag of quilting supplies or a kit tied up with the ring. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Maybe you could take her to Padukah for the honeymoon : > )

I had thought about the time commitment before. However, I thought that the time commitment would be part of what was so special about it. Here I am, a guy that has never even sewn before, taking the time to do something so big for her. I've got relatives who have been quilting for 60 years, and have made some of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. I'm sure they'll jump at the opportunity to help me! Although I'll completely be in over my head, my mom has always told me that "hard work and perseverance bering reward." I only hope the reward is a yes!

Blog Entries
    You can do this. Make sure your writing is on a darker solid in a contrasting color so it will show up. I wrote all over my granddaughters quilt. Take a look at these. The method you are talking about is thread painting and it is easy.
    Name:  IMG_0666.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  885.2 KBName:  IMG_0664.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  997.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Well, you certainly have received great ideas for your important project. I am curious. How did you find this board and go about inquiring? Is your intended a member of this board? Ooops, that would be amazing. Anyway, it would make a nice addition to journal this journey and record it in a nice notebook to go along with your quilt/proposal/ring. What a keepsake!! And, yes, you are a keeper for her, for sure.
    I found this site by just googling "Quilting forum." It was the first site that popped up. I figured there was bound to be a place where all you quilters got together to share ideas! I'm virtually positive that she isn't a member. She would have definitely told me about it by now if she was. I love your idea of documenting everything. That would be a fun thing to sit down and look at years from now. And plus, there will be direct evidence that I actually did make it myself haha!

Blog Entries
    How about a crossword puzzle format? ePatternsCentral.com has a wall quilt that's a crossword puzzle that you could make it spell out your own words. PM me if you need help.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I love the idea of spelling it out in nautical alphabet flags. Keeping the entire quilt truly nautical. You would have to do a little research. Although you would have to give her a flag alphabet so she could decipher it - that would be fun to video tape her "translating it". Do you live by the beach? I also like the idea of putting the ring box in an envelope attached to the back. What you could also do is, inside the envelope attach the ring to a ribbon that is very securely stitched to the pocket itself (thus eliminating the bulk of the box). Definitely go to your local quilt shop - the quilters there will be happy to help you. They would be overjoyed to assist a young man bring his wonderful plan to life. I wish you much love and much luck. You can do this - but start right away so you don't feel rushed. Good luck with this and your future endeavors. You're very creative and thoughtful! God Bless!

PS you could get lots of help from the family as long as they don't know what these blocks are. Just ask them to help you make the blocks you need. Don't show them the entire alphabet - just pull out the ones you need. Use similar colors so they match the rest of the background fabric you choose. This could be a truly awesome quilt that no one else will be able to decipher but the two of you.

You're a brilliant little stinker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M.I.Late; 06-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    this is such a cute idea! I love it, she will be able to have this forever.I am not much help with your question. I have only made one quilt for my new husband (32 years ago) and stitched down letter for a Tar heel quilt and a foot which was large and we have used and washed it often for 32 years.If you had pictures of the two of you on a boat or around a lake you could add these to your quilt by using the fabric you run throught a ink jet printer and copy the pictures on to the fabric and add these to your quilt and hand write your proposal, there are so many ways you could go with this. Good Luck!!!!

Yes, you can applique the fabric letters on. I've made several quilts doing that very thing. Good luck on your project and good luck on your proposal.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting thread! These are all great ideas! But, I have a technique that I love, and want to offer as a possibility - cyanotype printing of fabric.

Basically it is the same theory as how a photographer develops his pictures - treated fabric that you expose to light. I have 2 albums which show this (http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...-albums81.html & http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...-albums82.html) . I have done quilts with photos and writing.

You could then just print squares of special photos, a few scattered love letters, etc, then have one square with the proposal. That way you would still be making it all, but could have some simple patchwork squares to sew - to simplify the process for you, since you have never made a quilt before.

If you want more help on this process, need to know where to buy supplies, or just want to do more research, feel free to PM me (just click my name, it will forward you to a messaging page).

No matter what you decide - good luck with the quilt, be sure to show us (even while it is being made - we all love to watch a quilt in process), and congrats on the engagement (how could she resist such a sweetie?).

I like the idea of the nautical flags and you could give her the 'key'with all the flags and have her decipher it. Then, on your label, put the date you intend to propose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2