Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inklingo? Pros and Cons, please >

Inklingo? Pros and Cons, please

Inklingo? Pros and Cons, please

Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Red face Inklingo? Pros and Cons, please

Have you used the Inklingo method for hexies, etc? What do you think? Like it?

Starting to do some POTC quilt blocks and am deciding whether to use templates with whip stitch or the Inkling method using a running stitch. I know EPP is more traditional, but for these blocks even machine would be fine.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I have heard of the word before but not sure if that is when you print on paper. I use my Quilt Patis that I bought over a decade ago. I think most quilters used the PP lightweight cardboard that can be bought online or they have bought the Fiskars hex punch with a coupon at a craft store and make their own hexes.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM

I'm using Inklingo to do my GFC right now. I love it. English paper piecing drives me batty, but Inklingo I find easy.

Ironing the fabric to the freezer paper isn't difficult. My printer has no trouble printing on the fabric.

I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if you need more input.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I'm using Inklingo to do my GFC right now. I love it. English paper piecing drives me batty, but Inklingo I find easy.

Ironing the fabric to the freezer paper isn't difficult. My printer has no trouble printing on the fabric.

So when using inklingo you then machine sew those hexies? If, so that would drive me crazy....especially with 1" hexies...too much back stitch, stitch, back stitch, cut thread.....etc....I could see maybe larger sides, but I like the stability of the EPP for those small ones.....just me.....each of us finds what works best for us

But are you hand sewing those marked seams....like jinny buyer.....I am not good at matching seams for hand sewing....again, just me
Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM

I am hand stitching my hexies, but I do know people who machine stitch them. I do individual flowers. I then join the flowers into rows and then sew rows together. I have tried sewing some of the rows together by machine. It works OK, but as Geri said, it can be maddening. I'll stick to hand piecing. I always need a waiting room project anyway.

Both cutting line and sewing lines are printed on the hexies with Inklingo. The sewing lines make it very easy for me to match when putting them together.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:13 AM

I made my own diamonds for tumbling blocks. I drew diamonds on a piece of printer paper. I only drew the stitching lines and left enough space for seam allowances. I printed on the fabric (using the copy function) on my inkjet printer. Then cut the pieces apart and sewed by hand on the printer stitching lines. I did have a number of paper jams though.
you could also scan your drawing so you can re-size the pieces if you decide to make another quilt with different sized blocks.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post

i had several paper jams. Do you have any words of wisdom on how to avoid that? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 AM

Please, can someone explain or point me to a tutorial on Inklingo method for hexies. I love to do hexie projects but have never heard of the Inklingo method. Maybe I have been stuck under a rock and missed it. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Have any of you visited the Inklingo site? There is a free download of many shapes to get you stared with Inklingo, you will know all about it before buying. It's an excellent program. I don't use it all the time but enough to justify buying it.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM

I just looked up Inklingo, which I had never heard of before and it looks like fun. I've only done EPP the traditional way and would like to try this but something on the website said you can no longer get the combination set (which is the cutest one). I hope that's not true because I'm not into hexes but I do love putting multiple shapes together. I think I'll look into it further. Either way thanks for the info and this thread. It's always fun to learn something new