Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
INSULBRIGHT ?? >

INSULBRIGHT ??

INSULBRIGHT ??

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Who has used Insulbright? I just made some coasters with it and i did hexagons. I stitched them with a blanket stitch. my machine finally messed up when i changed the bobbin, so l cleaned it out. i found some silver slivers in there. That worried me a lot. i don't like that.
has anyone made pot holders or other things and done lots of machine stitching? I certainly won't use insulbright in my coasters again but would like to make some pot holders one day. maybe just not too much quilting designs on them.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM

I have used it for several table runners and a hot pot holder and love it. I did notice one or two silver flecks but they cleaned out nicely. I don't think the silver flecks should be any more problematic than other lint, fabric fibers or thread pieces. It really isn't like aluminum foil in texture or anything abrasive. IMHO. But you really need to use your own judgement about what your are comfortable doing. Myself, I just bought a whole roll online for a good price. Probably enough for the rest of my natural years.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

thanks. I had trouble doing the blanket stitch on four inch hexagons but got them done. i love doing SunBonnet Sue appliques because i turn the fabric the opposite way than the hexagons would go. still they did turn out nicely. I gave a few away at the office and of course got requests for more.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I don't like the way insulbrite feels. I've used it in potholders but honestly it doesn't stop the heat that much from what I can tell.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 AM

I used double thick all cotton fabric inside my pot holders and it worked perfectly. I use mine daily and they keep the heat out just fine. What I did to test first: I made a pocket of fabric, put on layer in.. tested..too warm (put cookie sheet in oven to get hot).. did one layer cotton puffy fill in.. almost good enough. did one layger cotton puffy filling with one layer of thin cotton quilt batting and that was plenty insulated enough. Two layers of the puffy filling is too hard to get in the machine for me. Three layers of the thin cotton batting also worked. My daughter made over 2 dozen pot holders for gifts this year and they are used and well loved. (her first projects learning how to use a sewing machine).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

yes, if insulbright has a right side and a wrong side, i can't tell.
When i make pot holders i may just put two layers of cotton batting.
when doing the hex's i had to fill my bobbin, put it back in and lowered my needle to bring up the bobbin thread and it got stuck. wouldn't move at all. so i took the plate off and cleaned it out. scared me. I worried i'd broken my machine. if i use more of this insulbright i will certainly clean my machine more often. not fond of the stuff now, so won't buy more.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM

Yes, Insulbright has a right side and a wrong side. The shiny side goes towards the heat source in order to work. It reflects the heat back to the source that way.

Also, Elisabrat, if you mean you are using poly batting in potholders when you say "puffy fill", please be careful. Poly will melt if it gets too hot. Cotton batting is the best to use with insulbright in anything that will have close contact with heat.

Insulbright is also good to use for keeping things cold, so it is perfect for food carriers for hot or cold dishes. Again, shiny side faces the food dish. :D
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Yes, I've used insulbright for potholders but now you've made me start to worry. I would hate to "mess up" my machine expecially when a couple of layers of batting would do the job just as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM

I use batting in mine.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM

You can also use the silver stuff used for ironing board covers along with cotton batting. JoAnn's sells it by the yard.