Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
interfacing on tshirt quilts >

interfacing on tshirt quilts

interfacing on tshirt quilts

Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I have made t-shirt quilts, but only with interfacing. That is a must for me. Otherwise, the t-shirts are way too squirrelly.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM

I always, always, always use interfacing. Much easier to quilt and a much nicer, smoother finish. Where are these articles you guys are referencing? I’d love to read them to see their reasoning. It just doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Thank you so much for your reply and thoughts.

It was the website that Vinnie called out in their reply that I was reading. But I just can't settle into the thought. Even if I can imagine myself sewing the shirts without interfacing.. cutting them to size would really scare me

Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I have made several t-shirt quilts without interfacing/stabilizer after taking a class at my LQS using Too Cool T-Shirt book. Love how soft and cuddly they are! I would recommend a class or the book on the method. https://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/
Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM

I've made a t-shirt quilt using freezer paper ironed to back of shirt instead of fusible interfacing and sewed regular cotton sashing on all four sides before removing it. Then I just sewed the blocks together and quilted in the sashing. My batting allowed wide spacing and the blocks were not real big.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I've made a t-shirt quilt using freezer paper ironed to back of shirt instead of fusible interfacing and sewed regular cotton sashing on all four sides before removing it. Then I just sewed the blocks together and quilted in the sashing. My batting allowed wide spacing and the blocks were not real big.
interesting...that makes my mind whirl ha ha
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM

I asked my long armer about not using interfacing. She said it plays havoc with the needle. The fabric wants to come up with the needle and it makes a mess. She said she will not quilt a t-shirt quilt without interfacing. You might aqsk your long armer how she feels. Maybe if you are using your domestic machine or hand tying you could get away with it. For me, I will go to the effort to stabilize the shirts.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 AM

In my experience the interfacing generally lets go after a few washes anyway. Interfacing is lightweight and the tshirts are heavy so adding it doesn't make any difference in the weight but adds stability while you are working on it.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Pellon 911F is my go to for t-shirt quilts. Love it and bought an entire bolt when Joanns had interfacing on sale at 60% off!
Old 07-24-2019, 08:52 AM

I delivered a t-shirt quilt to the long armer for my friend. No stabilizer and minky back. Long armer just smiled and handed it back to me! Said stabilize it and I will attempt it (she does all our work so knows us well) but no guarantees. I took it back to friend and she ironed on to each square. It was adequate but not great. In hind site we decided we should have Not cut the stabilizer into squares, but just ironed on long strips right over the 2" sashing. Might have kept it from being so wonky. Minky just added to the wonky! It got quilted, but there were a few bumps and lumps. No wy to avoid it. Lesson learned!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-24-2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-24-2019, 01:19 PM

I appreciate all of your thoughts. I have been thinking as well and I am thinking possibly the lady at the website only tried interfacing years ago - she started in 1992. So I am sure interfacing has come a long way since 1992. Just like so many other things with sewing

I will be using lightweight interfacing