Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron recommendations >

Iron recommendations

Iron recommendations

Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM

Default Iron recommendations

I have an iron that I don't like, it works fine, but the handle is wearing out, and is somehow sticky as it's wearing out (collecting dust and bits of fabric that just don't come off, and my hand sticks too, and it was dropped years ago so part is wonky, but doesn't affect use. I never use the steam function (I use a spray bottle with distilled water instead) and HATE the holes on it due to trying to get nice smooth fabric and good seams. The holes catch on every single seam. I found an older style iron without steam that gets good reviews, but it doesn't have any safety features like auto-shut off etc which I also really want.

Any suggestions out there? Price is an issue, so nothing horribly expensive. Thanks!!!
Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 AM

I like my new cordless iron. Panasonic, I think. Amazon.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:31 AM

Smile

Like aashley333, I purchased a Panasonic also, mine is the 360 degree ceramic cordless iron and I really like it. You haven't mentioned the price range you are going for, but this one was $144.00, on Amazon.

Last edited by "cat"astrophy; 04-21-2021 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to let her know where I purchased it.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I finally found my perfect iron, the Reliable Maven 120IS. I bought it direct from the website, refurbished, for half price. Same warranty as new. I don't know why I waited so long. I use steam a lot but since you don't try this one:

WASING Classic Dry Iron for Industry Household Usage Upgraded Mirror Stainless Steel Soleplate Without Steam 1000W

It is less then $40 at Amazon.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm like Bonnie Hunter. I buy mine at the Thrift store for a couple dollars and have a spare on hand in case they quit. I like the older irons versus the newer ones. I never put water in any of mine. I use a spray bottle on wrinkles. Not out much money this way.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:51 AM

[QUOTE=Onebyone;8477589]I finally found my perfect iron, the Reliable Maven 120IS. I bought it direct from the website, refurbished, for half price. Same warranty as new. I don't know why I waited so long.

That looks like a great iron for those of us who love steam. I did see that the water filter is about 45 dollars to replace. How often do they need replacing?

Old 04-21-2021, 06:17 AM

I bought at Walmart a small travel iron similar to what Angela Walter uses. Steam option but well is WAY too small. Just use a spray bottle.. Get's hot. Steamfast is the name...about 13.00!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast...Iron/186719139
Now since it's a travel iron, small sole plate. Use all time. If I have a lot of block pressing, I'll move it with my wool pressing mat to my sewing table. Some times just don't want to stand for a long time.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:29 AM

I'm with waal, have a collection of old irons, so when the one I'm using goes bad, I just toss it in the recycling and use another. I don't use steam either.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:30 AM

I'm disappointed in the travel size Steamfast Iron, Brand new out of the box it barely gets hot.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:40 AM

Right now I'm leaning towards the iron at the VT country store. It doesn't have auto shut-off, which is why I started this post to see if others have better suggestions I'm not finding, but it seems like none of the dry irons have that. Plus they have a 100% guarantee, forever. So I don't have to worry too much about it then. Waal, like you I've never put water in an iron (I did once many years ago and it leaked all over with the first use! so I never did it again) I always use them dry with a spray bottle. But I'm getting so tired of those darn holes! Like everyone knows they snag on the seams then mess up the fabric and you have to spray and iron it all over again. I've also never really learned how to use newer irons since I grew up with the old dry style that had like 4 settings on it. I don't know what half the little things on my current iron do. I just turn it to cotton (or whatever I'm sewing with) and use it. I would just keep using it since it still works aside from it's problems with the stickiness, but those holes get me every single time I use it.