Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing Table Fabric? >

Ironing Table Fabric?

Ironing Table Fabric?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Question Ironing Table Fabric?

I am in the process of building both a cutting table and an ironing station from Ikea Kallax units. The ironing table top will be rectangle and made from premium grade plywood, 100% cotton batting and fabric. My question is do I need to use duck or twill or some kind of heavy fabric for the top or will it be fine to use regular quilting cotton in a cute print? I know it needs to be 100% cotton, but does the weight or thickness really matter? I've seen both in my research and Googling. Thanks in advance for your help!

Lisa
Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

You need a heat/moisture barrier of some kind added, like the silver heat resistant fabric, or the plywood will warp. Seen it happen to many a nice wood ironing surface. I like duck canvas to cover whatever padding I use. I make a muslin easy off top covering over that so it's easy to replace or wash. I now use a portable wool pressing pad on top.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM

I would use a heat resistant fabric over the bat that you want to use the a muslin cover that can be taken off for washing. It sound like a fun project. I only wish I had the space for a larger pressing area. Just ran out of space.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM

So to clarify Onebyone and juliasb, is your duck canvas your heat/moisture barrier or do you mean it needs something besides that (or under it)? I don't really want to make a removable cover to put over it for a couple reasons. One, I've never sewn elastic and I'm fairly certain I couldn't make it look good, and two, I am making my top sit on the unit with a tight frame and a layer of non-slip rug liner but it won't be actually attached. Therefore, if the fabric becomes too gross I will just replace it.
I'm confused because I watch Donna Jordan a lot and her husband made the one they use all the time (with lots of steam) from just plywood, batting and a "heavier and wider" cotton print fabric(he doesn't give more specifics). Obviously I don't want this to warp or get messed up, but it will be a big surface (approx. 20"x63") so I want it to look pretty too if I can.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 AM

When I made mine, I bought an old wooden kitchen table and covered it with about 6 large pieces of ugly, thicker fabric to use as a heat and moisture barrier (one is duck or ducklike), and then custom made a tablecloth of cotton to match my decor. I seldom have to wash this cloth, the table is amply protected and I didn’t spend any extra money on padding.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I used a thick muslin like fabric to cover mine. I think it would be nice to use a strip or check so you can line up blocks to iron them square. If you are custom making your premium ironing station, maybe you should invest in the actual heat reflective silver ironing board fabric.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Plywood will warp when exposed to heat and moisture. DH said thick plywood of at least 3/4" would probably be okay for an ironing base.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:40 PM

I have 3/4" and splurged for the "top choice blondewood plywood. I have found fabric listed as ironing board cover and says it is "woven of 100% cotton with a unique aluminized coating". It is listed as silver but looks more like a heather gray instead of the shiny metallic looking stuff I was finding earlier. I think I will go with that and I might or might not put a cute cotton print over it if I decide I need some whimsy in there. There is LOTS of white furniture, lol. If I do add another fabric I will staple it separately so it can be removed and/or changed without disassembling all the layers. Thanks to those who have answered so far, and I'll keep you posted! It might be several days as we are still building the furniture and I have to get to the store to get the fabric.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:22 PM

I prefer the cotton duck over regular quilting cotton because the quilting cotton is slicker, and the cotton duck kind of grabs my blocks and holds them still as I press them.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Since you have a lot of white furniture, you might want to choose a color palette and use it throughout your sewing room to give it cohesiveness. I used turquoise and yellow with touches of black and white in curtains, ironing table, labels on plastic rolling drawer units, and storage baskets. It has the whimsy and yet isn’t busy.

I can’t get the link to upload from my phone, but I have photos on QB if you’d like to see my sewing room. You’re going to have ro zoom in to see the ironing table.

To find the post, search “my happy place guest room”.

Last edited by zozee; 09-10-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typos