Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: irons

Check out the T Fal, they are the best and not too pricey. Only use distilled water, and you will not get brown spit. You can also try the steam iron cleaners or half and half white vinegar and distilled water to clean out the accumulated minerals. You will love the T fal, it has so many great features and the sole plate will not stick!

Blog Entries
    I got lucky and bought a used T-Fal Ultralight diffusion,, it has 27 holes along edge, 6 at the tip and 30 in the middle. It has most the bells n whistles. Mine does shut off but once i hold it in an ironing position it turns right back on in a few seconds. I got mine at a second hand store for $4. When i bought it it leaked like a sieve but after a few uses it just stopped leaking. Im thinking this is why someone got rid of it. Their trash was and is my treasure, So many holes is great for steaming which is mostly how i "iron".

I have found that if I hit the shot of steam button once just after the iron has heated up I am spit free for the rest of the session. I hate the auto shut off too....I use an old black and decker. I find it is the only brand the is always reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    am in need of fast advice !am TRYING to iron the fabric for dgs birthday on sat.i have 2 irons that are a pain in the a--!one is brand new,but they both spit brownall overmy fab.i am considering an orick cordless,or a eliso[sp] does anyone have either of these & do you love/hate them?also don't want one that shuts off eery time you turn around ![fussy,huh?]but if i'm going to spend $100.00[?] i'd like to know what i'm getting.
    thanx in advance,dar
    I have a rowenta that I love. But try spraying it with Mary Ellen's Best Press. I have found that it's GREAT in getting wrinkles out!

Blog Entries
    In the past I had a Shark Professional that I liked but it just quit working. I bought another and had trouble with it spitting (using distilled water) and not heating. I just bought a Reliable iron and so far it seems to be worthy of its name...and I love the fact that I can turn off the auto shut-off!

Hi an orick is too heavy. I like it but after using it awhile it gets heavy. Maria

I have a oliso and I'm very happy with it. I don't ever use steam so I have not had a problem with spitting. I have had a black and decker and a rowenta too. I didn't care for the rowenta but I don't remember why. You can buy a bunch of cheap irons and still be ahead. I'm not sure the $$$$ are worth it.

My Rowenta is about 10-12 years old and it says to use tap water only. I tried tap water twice and it spit brown water, so I rinsed it out and have used only distilled water and it never, ever spits with distilled water.
    Marilyn

Husband just bought me the Oliso 1800 from Joann's online. It is the yellow one. I love it. Most irons are 1600, so this one heats higher. I'd noticed that often when I would try to iron out the fold of the fabric, it was still there (even with steam). I ironed the fold in last night's project with the oliso and couldn't even tell there had been a fold. It does take some getting used to it popping up and down, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    am in need of fast advice !am TRYING to iron the fabric for dgs birthday on sat.i have 2 irons that are a pain in the a--!one is brand new,but they both spit brownall overmy fab.i am considering an orick cordless,or a eliso[sp] does anyone have either of these & do you love/hate them?also don't want one that shuts off eery time you turn around ![fussy,huh?]but if i'm going to spend $100.00[?] i'd like to know what i'm getting.
    thanx in advance,dar
    i have 3 used, old travel irons i have gotten at garage sales for $2 or 3. they are small...perfect for pressing small quilting sections, do not auto shut off, and the perfect size to use with small pressing surface close to the sewing machine. i guess you could compare it to 'assembly-line' setup. works for me. just thought some of you might want to try it. the little irons designed for this application are pricey. i like to make-do when i can. keep all the ideas coming. i enjoy reading each of your comments and consider you all friends.

The Rowenta instruction booklet I have says do not use distilled water. Don't know why you shouldn't but I don't use distilled. :)

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear of someone who does not take care of their iron. How can they not know? My mother taught me, her mother taught her. As the others have said, you only use distilled water and never leave your water in the iron, lazy or not. It is always best to stick with GE anything. I've had one for 24 years. I bought another small GE Light and Easy travel iron (and for small projects) at a thrift store for $2 and it is the best little iron too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dphelps
    We found a Shark Professional at WalMart for $49. and love it. The Rowenta also leaked and did not heat enough.We always use distilled water.

Have a Shark also and love it...heats up really fast and doesn't spit. This one is on the ironing board next to my washer/dryer.

I also have a Maytag Cordless that I have on a small table next to my sewing table. I just have to turn to the right and the iron is right there.

(I also have an elastic strung bracelet that I keep on the cords of my irons. When I plug it in the bracelet goes on, when I unplug the iron the bracelet goes back on the cord. Even thought both irons automatically turn off, this way I know it's unplugged, along with all my sewing machines.)

Great idea. And I also have a smaller board that hangs on the back of a closet door (w/iron holder) that folds up and down (again for small work). I decorated the metal hooks (go over the door) that show on the other side so it doesn't look so tacky. I love ingenuity.

I was told that the rowanta that is made in Germany is suppose to be better then the rowanta made in Japan. The one made in Japan leaks.

I have a General Electric iron that is 46 years old... No steam, therefore no vent holes... I do a lot of fusible and it's great not to get any "bubbles" where vent holes are... It weights 5 # but that's ok with me; I need the exercise... It still has the black and white fabric cord that they use to put on irons and behind the sole plate it says "made in the USA"... but again, that was 46 years ago... I just had my DH put a new plug on it a few weeks ago after 46 years... It gets REALLY HOT and takes forever to cool down when it is unplugged, but that's no problem for me... I use it to iron my fabrics using spray starch and it does a wonderful job getting out all the wrinkles... Like a lot of you, I use cheap irons and they do the job just fine and when they die I'll have no regrets throwing them away..... I'll never have another Rowenta... I kept hearing on the sewing programs how wonderful they were so I just had to have one...expensive, but I thought I was worth it... Got another Rowenta at "Tuesday Morning" at a good price before I had any trouble with either of them... I was ironing clothes one day, heard a 'pop', turned around, and where the cord goes into the iron, it shot our electricity and caught fire.. caught my ironing board on fire... I sent it to a place in New York and TOLD THEM i WANTED another one and TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPENED... They called me back and said it could be fixed but I had to pay for it... I said no way because it was some kind of defect... of course they didn't care... I told the man to send it back to Europe or wherever it came from and to tell them to take it and cram it cross ways of their a-- ... the other one that I had already bought before that happened just did the same thing a few weeks ago but didn't catch fire... it popped, and started smoking where the cord goes into the iron {same place as the other}... this time I just threw it in the trash because I knew they wouldn't stand behind their product... there would had never been a 2nd. Rowenta if the first had caught fire before I bought the second... Just glad I was standing there both times when they did what they did or maybe I wouldn't have a house now..

What are the odds of that happening twice? My mom used to have the older iron too with the black and white cloth cord. The copper wiring started coming through the cloth. She got rid of it. My grandma still heated her iron on her wood burning stove as late as the mid 70's. They don't make them like that anymore (women :) I am really concerned about your problems. Please tell me your homeowners insurance covers small appliance fires.

I have a cheapie iron from "our famous" Walmart and it invariably shuts off when i need it also. I sure wish i ha d an iron that does nothing but iron -- no spray, no shut off, nothing! But in the meantime i do iron all my seams and definitely iron the biggest majority of my pieces before and after i cut them for easier piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    If you used "distilled" water as recommended, you would not get the brown spitting. I have had my Rowenta for about 15 yrs. now & it still works fine with no spitting. I also empty out the water if I am not going to be using the iron for a while.

I was just out shopping with a friend yesterday & learned that you cannot use coupons to purchase irons at JoAnn's.

I believe you can use the 20% coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond. They have a good selection of irons in all price ranges.
    I learned that about JoAnn's & not using store coupons on Rowenta irons a long time ago. They aren't really part of the store but just use space there. I'm not sure of the exact details but I know that's the way it is with the JoAnn's stores that have the Viking sections, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2