Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've lost a block.  How can this happen? >

I've lost a block. How can this happen?

I've lost a block. How can this happen?

Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks Dunster. It's not just quilting. If I were taking Mycology one semester, I would audit the class the year before. If I learn anything in class it will be from her correcting me on better ways to do it.

I cut the whole thing on the Accuquilt. I ready take Parkinsons medication and I have sliced off a large portion, which did not get sewn back on, of my left index finger. Besides, the second time I do it, it seems to sink in better.

I've taken everyone's advice and folded all the fabric again. But when I looked through the trash I realized that I had taken out the bag that an been in there and replaced it with a fresh bag, about a day before the count on the blocks went haywire. So I either threw it out or miscounted.
I'm in awe. You've learned how to be ridiculously productive, working around your health issues.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:32 PM

I did lose one once. It seems it fell into my trash can that sat beside my sewing table. I tossed it out without knowing it. It was just a square, but not enough of the fabric was left to replace it, so I sewed a couple of pieces of it together and finished it.

Yes, now I check the trash before dumping it.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:21 PM

I've had them "stolen" ....my dog used to grab one block, or one piece of a block, take it to her bed and just lay on it! She never chewed anything, just kept them!
Old 09-27-2019, 03:43 PM

The quilt is beautiful! I hope you find the block because losing things really is irritating unless you blame it on the cat!
Old 09-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Last year on my Talkin' Turkey! Sooo frustrating. It wasn't that it was hard to make another, but when you've sewn a zillion little pieces and think you're at the finish line...

Your quilt is absolutely wonderful! I have those colors in my Finger Lakes Equinox (aka Celtic Solstice) - which is no where near done. We are getting closer to the mystery and I shouldn't do it, I should work on some of my UFO's. But I can almost guarantee that I'll be doing it, lol.

Please be sure to post another picture when this is quilted, I'd love to see it finished!
Old 09-27-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
This may sound silly but I could see myself sewing 2 blocks as one and realizing it later- they stick together. Beautiful quilt.
I did that once myself. It was a real forehead smacker when I discovered it.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. The block has been replaced and the quilt is almost together. We are in the middle of this big rain event. Had 5.29 inches just yesterday. The sun is still not up and I can't see if any trees are down or what.

I have genetic Hemochromatosis from an Irish grandfather and so I don't sleep well. I get up and sew.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:13 AM

After searching for several months for the "perfect" sewing table, I finally found a desk at IKEA that worked perfectly: right size, storage compartment, small drawer above that, larger drawer above the knee space. I got it put together without any difficulty and put my machine to work immediately.

I managed to misplace a quilt block I had been working on. I searched behind the desk, on the ironing board, in the basket of scraps beside the desk, all to no avail. I don't know what made me look, but I took a peek inside the desk at the back, and there was the missing block lying in the tray designed to carry the machine cords. The block had slid off the surface of the desk at the back and somehow managed to land in the cord tray!

To be fair, I have to say that other pieces of fabric have also landed there since. I guess I'm going to have to tape a piece of paper -- or something -- over that opening. I'm getting too old to have to crawl under the sewing desk if I am missing a block.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:21 AM

The best way for me to find something I am looking for, is to stop looking. It usually finds me, usually in a place I already looked for it, and in plain sight.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:52 AM

I've found mine somehow stuck to another block.