Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!!

Wow, just made a bunch of hst's and wish I'd known these tricks! Thanks for all this info, it will be a big time saver in the future.

Wonder why one couldn't cut original 7" square on the bias, then triangles would have straight edges?

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    dang..I thought this would be about something NEW.,...Billie Lauder had done this for 15+ years....

some of us newbies haven't been around the quilting scene for 15+ years.
    I appreciate all the information on Quilting Board and learning something NEW every day, even if it's been around forever, it's new to me.

Blog Entries
    I've been quilting since 1998 and am always learning something new - it is usually because of an OOPS! I am going to check out the Billie Lauder website and see if she has a tutotorial - but, in the meantime, I have copied and pasted the instructions posted here onto a word document and printed it out - that way I will know where to find it when I want to make some HST's.

I usually make thangles for mine, I bought a program that prints them out for me on paper piecing paper and I have used them with great success. When not using this method, I always overcut my squares, then trim after sewing. I am working on a project now that is VERY scrappy and I am using this method. I can't remember how many I need, but each block has four of them and this is going to be a king size quilt so there will be plenty to make.

I saw that on a you-tube video a while back. Makes sense that they turn out prefect, if you do the quarter-inch seam all around the outside. Definitely starch heavily!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for telling the size. That's what I've wanted to know.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Cut the starting blocks on the bias and the ending blocks will be on the straight grain!

Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter View Post
    I like this method, but be aware that all of your outside edges are now on the bias. For me, that's the only down side to this method.

What a great idea, BellaBoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.
    This is by far the best way to make HST's, I have used this method several times, love it.
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    Where could I find the formula for Rose-Marie's HST
    this may have been answered allready but anyway, the size of the block you want. for example
    2 1/2 desired block times 2 plus 1 inch = 6
    3 inch block times 2 plus 1 =7
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

I am going to try this method as I am doing a quilt with 650 HSTs. Maybe/hope this will make that number easier to do. Thanks for all the info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
    I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!
    This is a quilt I really want to make - but can't figure out how to pick the fabrics that would work. Need to look at pictues and see if that helps.
    Quilting in the Desert

I use this method to make my favourite block, Pinwheels! Works great and never have any trouble with it.

I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!
    I won't use that method because I hate sewing on the bias.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Bias isn't a problem at all if you put a 1/2" strip of fusible interfacing diagonally and then cut. I buy it on a roll like tape.
    I don't want to do that much "pre" work.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Txkolibri View Post
    Wonder why one couldn't cut original 7" square on the bias, then triangles would have straight edges?

You're still going to be stitching your outer quarter inch seam on the bias. I just want to avoid that a much as I can.
    U N T I E

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    This is a fantastic discussion on my arch enemy, the HST. I'll be back to read more thoroughly later. Lots of great ideas here!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
    This is a quilt I really want to make - but can't figure out how to pick the fabrics that would work. Need to look at pictues and see if that helps.

www.quiltville.com has a quilt she calls floribunda that is Jacob ladders and is a different twist on it.
    Judi in Ohio

Thank you Judi in Ohio... love the floribunda from quiltville.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

Blog Entries
    I have it bookmarked. Love the solid and print. I'm traveling next week so may look for fabric. So much for finishing my ufos!
    Quilting in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
    www.quiltville.com has a quilt she calls floribunda that is Jacob ladders and is a different twist on it.
    I agree, Quiltville is great...I know I have made all her quilts at least once and still have scraps leftover!! When I make a Jacobs Ladder, I choose the ladder fabric first. Usually a dark floral and then find the lightest color for the background....sometimes a white tone on tone or a tone on tone with a bit of color.....you must have a good contrast between the 2 colors for a Jacobs Ladder quilt to 'work''. 16 12 inch blocks makes a nice lap size when framed with an 6 to 8 inch border of the same background fabric. This quilt never fails to impress and is so easy to do!!!

I agree, Quiltville is great...I know I have made all her quilts at least once and still have scraps leftover!! When I make a Jacobs Ladder, I choose the ladder fabric first. Usually a dark floral and then find the lightest color for the background....sometimes a white tone on tone or a tone on tone with a bit of color.....you must have a good contrast between the 2 colors for a Jacobs Ladder quilt to 'work''. 16 12 inch blocks makes a nice lap size when framed with an 6 to 8 inch border of the same background fabric. This quilt never fails to impress and is so easy to do!!!
    I would love to see pictures of a few of yours if you have time. That's a great explanation of value placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
    Bonnie Hunter uses the Easy Angle rulers that I like, but I love Triangulations. The only problem is you make so many of the same. So I usually try to fix up a swap.
    That's my complaint, too... too many of the same. I want to try those sheets from Laundry Basket quilts that you can use on FQ's.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

another tip when starching from Leah Day - spray the fabric and LET IT DRY before you iron. Eliminates those pesky flakes and scorch marks that sometimes appear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2