Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600P-DBX vs Juki 98Q vs Brother 1500 >

Janome 1600P-DBX vs Juki 98Q vs Brother 1500

Janome 1600P-DBX vs Juki 98Q vs Brother 1500

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Banned

that stitch regulator has to be used on a frame it won't work with just the sewing machine like a bernina would.

given that all of these machines would be able to use that stitch regulator because its produced by Grace Frames and they make one for all of these mentioned machines.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 AM

i had the brother 1500s and i loved it. i sold it and the frame only because i went larger to the tin lizzie.

but the brother was smoother, quieter and all around better. it has the auto-cutter, which is great. it's a heavy machine, so there is very little vibration. i didn't have any optional accessories, but it really did what i needed.

note: isn't there a company that markets a 13" arm? and 15" arm?
because as much as i loved the brother, if you plan to roll up a large
bed-sized quilt under the arm, it still gets very tight when you come
to the end of the quilt and the actual quilting area has been
greatly reduced. the rolled-up quilt is now taking up most, if not all
of the space under the machine arm preventing it from moving all
the way forward. at the end of a queen quilt i was only able to
quilt a few inches at a time. that was the only reason i moved up.
the quality of the brother was MUCH better.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM

I think that company is the Bailey's Home Quilter. I thought about those, but because they are located in New York and I am in Hawaii. Shipping, training, and repairs would be impossible.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments! I think I've pretty much made up my mind. I need to research handi-handles and whether or not the stitch regulator could work on a home-built frame. I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:41 PM

about the stitch regulator:

the stitch regulator comes built into the lizzie. so i'm using that as an example, because i have one.

a stitch regulator relies on your ability to move the needle around at a constant speed in order to maintain a regular stitch length. it does not do it all alone. please don't make the mistake of thinking it will. you have to co-ordinate speed and stitch length, both preset by you. if you don't preset it exactly right for that quilt it doesn't work. it skips. if you don't move smoothly, it won't stitch smoothly. especially around curves. in fact, some regulators are so fast that they run away with you and start skipping stitches. professional machines have ones that are very differently made, and that almost just need to be guided, but we're not talking about professional machines. before you think that you must have a regulator, pin down the dealer and make him say what it will and will not do and exactly how it works. ask for lessons. on a hobby machine, getting them set right for each quilt is such a pain that i don't use mine at all anymore. i use my machine on manual only and so does Mary Stoaks (sp). we both feel we are in much better control when we don't let the machine take over. if you never tried it, try it now and a lot. with and without. i didn't have it on the brother and it was the best machine i ever used for quilting. why not pm Mary and ask her opinion?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Thank you! I have a Bernina Aurora with the BSR and have had very good luck with it. I just don't want to get a machine that a stitch regulator is not an option later on down the road. This machine will have to keep me happy for a long time and I'm just trying to look at all the options. Your advice is well taken and I really appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Ok, I did it! Ordered the Janome 1600P today with needle threader and thread cutter. I figure I'll "play" with it for awhile and decide later whether or not to order the Grace Sure Stitch. Although the Janome, Juki, and Brother are all so very similar, I went with the Janome because I can get service here and it's the same guy who works on my little Featherweight. Thanks for all your comments and advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

i think you'll be happy with the janome. i don't know anyone who doesn't like theirs, no matter the model.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Hi Patti,
I have a Juki 98Q as well and I have spent from 5 AM to now, 7 PM trying to figure out what to do. My machine is skipping stitches. I am using King Tut, 50/2 on the top and master Piece 40/3 on the bottom both from superior threads. My tension is fine, but I am skipping stitches. I have replaced the needle about 5 times and cleaned the rubber wheels 3 times, but no change in my predicament. I am preparing for a fundraiser on 29th and I used the little time I had to layer and quilt the final touches. Help, please! I am running out of time.
Adri
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM

That's the machine I'm using currently on my Grace Pinnacle. I'm very new to frame quilting, but the machine works great! It's the operator that needs training. When the machine is off the frame it's fast, accurate and trouble-free. On the frame with the stitch-regulator, it works well, but the operator needs to learn to slow down with the regulator working.

I have tried it without the regulator and it's just great! However, my stitches need work.....

It's a lot of fun. Enjoy! And remember there is a learning curve to anything new, and frame quilting is not the same as freemotion on a table top.