Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome 6500/6600 owners please

Hi..I am a Janome lover and am hoping to get a new machine in the not too distant future and am trying to do some research first. Firstly, I would LOVE the new Janome Horizon but don't know if my budget will stretch that far so I am looking at the 6500 and 6600 at this stage.

I have been to a couple of dealers locally and have been told a couple of things that I would like your thoughts on.

1. The 6500 - I was told that people prefer the 6600 over the 6500 because the 6500 doesn't have the 2 little extra feed dogs in front and when you are trying to stitch right near the edge, like with a triangle point, it will pull the fabric down into the bobbin area. Whereas the 6600 will feed it through quite easily.

2. The 6600 - at another dealer I was told that the quilting ladies there prefer the 6500 over the 6600 because the built in walking foot at the back of the 6600 gets in the way. They said that when stitching bulky items that scrunch up, like quilts, the quilt tends to catch on the walking foot because it's fitted too low.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on those respective machines with those comments...or anything else you feel to mention.

Also, do many of you miss not having a free-arm? That's something else I'm not sure about.

Thanks everyone :)

Blog Entries
    A friend just got the Horizon for $3,000. She absolutely loves it!

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I will never get rid of. Like you, I am a die hard Janome lover.

Sorry that I can't help you with the models you're looking to get info on, but hope that my friend's love for her new Horizon is helpful. Good luck! :)

I have the 6600, and I LOVE the built in walking foot. Not in the way at all for me, and so very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    A friend just got the Horizon for $3,000. She absolutely loves it!

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I will never get rid of. Like you, I am a die hard Janome lover.

Sorry that I can't help you with the models you're looking to get info on, but hope that my friend's love for her new Horizon is helpful. Good luck! :)
    Thanks...oh...it wouldn't take much to convince me to buy a Horizon...I'd have one today if I had the money...lol. Beautiful looking machine..and good reviews too

Thanks Debra...so you don't find that large quilts catch on it?

I have a 6600, but never even sewn on the 6500 so was hoping to read more comments, out of curiosity.
    I love mine, but it is the nicest machine I've ever had. I'm not sure if I'm knowledgeable enough to help.
    My dream would be to have a Bernina or Baby Lock, but that ain't gonna happen! :shock:
    I just have this idea watching ppl use them on tv, that they are the rolls royce of sewing machines!...and I could be wrong.
    what a concept :mrgreen:

Can't help you with the 6500 but I've had the 6600 for over a year and like
    it a lot. Haven't had the problem you mentioned. Maybe that store just want
    to get rid of their older model. Just a thought. :D
    Did they let you test drive? Maybe you could bring some small quilt
    sandwiches and try.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Thanks Debra...so you don't find that large quilts catch on it?

Hasn't been a problem for me, though I haven't free motioned a "big" quilt with the FMQ foot yet. I have used the walking foot to do gentle waves on a big quilt and loved it. No puckers, and it seemed to help pull the quilt through the machine for me.

I have problems with my shoulders, so most of my big quilts these days are quilted in sections and then assembled.

Haven't done any quilting on the 6600 yet, but used a sandwich for practice FMQ and the walking foot. Didn't have a problem at all. I really love my machine, it is very user friendly. I did purchase the face plate for just the straight stitching though. It only has a small circular hole for the needle and I use it when I piece.

I can attest to the even feeding of the pieces. I went from a machine that I had for atleast 15 yrs and it wasn't purchased for quilting. This machine has made a TREMENDOUS difference in my abilities.

I have the 6500 and been sewing on it for nearly 6 yrs straight. I was told the 6600 was more desirable because of the walking foot build in. I have had issues with it sucking down but I have with all machines including none Janome. I bought a straight stitch plate and make sure to always use the right needles for the project. I have done a lot of piecing and quilting on the 6500 of very large quilts. I like the needle down position option, build in thread clipper, knee lifter and larger sewing bed. I also do not have tension problems which I did with Pfaff and some other machines. The stitches are very consistent.

I too have the Memory Craft 9000 and love it.
    The only machines I have had are New Home and then Janome.
    From whit I understand New Home and Janome have merged.
    If I had to purchase a new machine the first one I would look at would be Janome....Love it - Love it.

Hi - I have the 6600 - I love it. If you do buy it please consider buying the drop in floor table that fits it so it is a bench machine, because it just makes sewing so easy. This is a big powerful machine, no sucking of fabric with this baby. I did read on Horizon reviews that it does not have the thread guide that the 6600 has which is a problem - by that I mean the ones that sit up tall off the machine so that your thread has heaps of time to straighten before going down through the guides to the needle. The built in walking foot is great and I have not had material snag when quilting with it.

I have the 6600. Got it about 3 months ago. I haven't had very many problems with the fabric getting pulled under. I did purchase the single hole throat plate just haven't used it yet. The adjustable tension is so wonderful, I haven't used the walking foot yet. I would say you need to take into consideration the cost of the feet you want. Alot of feet come with the machine but the quarter inch walking foot,the single throat plate and the stitch in the ditch foot,and the quilting foot are all extra. So I did spend more then I thought I would. I would also hope you will get free classes so you can learn all the wonderful things you can do. This machine is amazing and I love it. Hope you get your new machine soon, which ever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Janie Q
    I have the 6600. Got it about 3 months ago. I haven't had very many problems with the fabric getting pulled under. I did purchase the single hole throat plate just haven't used it yet. The adjustable tension is so wonderful, I haven't used the walking foot yet. I would say you need to take into consideration the cost of the feet you want. Alot of feet come with the machine but the quarter inch walking foot,the single throat plate and the stitch in the ditch foot,and the quilting foot are all extra. So I did spend more then I thought I would. I would also hope you will get free classes so you can learn all the wonderful things you can do. This machine is amazing and I love it. Hope you get your new machine soon, which ever you choose.
    everything you mentioned, other than the single hole throat plate came with my machine. I found the machine so intuitive I didn't need classes The manual is very easy use. I've had this machine for 5 years.

I also have the 6600 and I absolutely love it.

I have had the 6500 for about 5 years now and I love it! I do a lot of piecing, and machine quilt my baby and lap size quilts with no problems. I rarely make quilts much larger but, when I do, I usually send them out to a local longarmer to be quilted. I have not missed the free arm aspect but since I mainly quilt, I don't really need that feature. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FranW
    I have had the 6500 for about 5 years now and I love it! I do a lot of piecing, and machine quilt my baby and lap size quilts with no problems. I rarely make quilts much larger but, when I do, I usually send them out to a local longarmer to be quilted. I have not missed the free arm aspect but since I mainly quilt, I don't really need that feature. Good Luck!
    Oh, you just mentioned something I actually do miss. I wish this machine had a free arm.

I went all over St. Louis County about 5 years ago looking to buy a Janome MC6500 but the dealers didn't know much about it and weren't willing to offer any deals like extra feet. Then I found out about the Elna 7200 and started looking around for it. The second dealer I visited had one setup and was making a quilt on it when I walked in the door. It came with the table & feet I wanted and she had one in a box she was saving for herself but she sold it to me on the spot! I was a very happy camper. The Elna 7200 is the Elna commissioned version of the Janome MC6500. I believe the Elna 7300 is the Elna version of the Janome MC6600 so you might find what you're dreaming about at the Elna dealer just like I did!

New Home is the name that Janome was sold under in the US when it wasn't politically correct to be a "Made in Japan" product. When we got over that phobia they just "came out" as Janome and dropped the New Home name.

I've got the Janome 11000, MC9000, Gem, Hello Kitty and one other basic New Home. They all work great and have never given me any trouble. I would definitely go for one of the newer models that has the wider neck so you can quilt a larger quilt without trouble. I personally would never give up the embroidery feature!

Thanks everyone...I'm glad to hear that the 6600 isn't a real problem with fabric getting caught on the built in walking foot as I would have preferred it over the 6500, although both look good machines. I think I will ignore what the lady in the shop said about their quilts catching on it. I'm still hankering after the 7700 though so I will bide my time a bit longer and see what happens. If not that, then probably it will be the 6600...at this stage :)

I have had the Janome 6500 for six years. I had some initial problems with it (it was missing a screw that was used to raise and lower the feed dogs) and no where in the manual or at the demo lesson was I told to add a drop of oil in the wick under the bobbin case. As a result, the bobbin jumped and rattled so badly that I put my machine needle right through the case. I finally found out about the all important oiling after reading a tip on the Janome 6500/6600 forum. The machine is sewing well now, but will pull material into the needle plate sometimes. The harp is large enough to quilt a queen size quilt and it comes with a separate walking foot. This is a good machine and it will probably be available at a reasonable price as previous owners trade it in for the new Horizon. I know that is what I am considering as I would still like more space to free motion quilt. This machine does need to be in a table(my friend's dog knocked hers on the floor and smashed it) and is too heavy to lug out to classes easily.

I have the 6500 and love it. I don't quilt much with it--sometimes really small pieces is all and occasionally I use the walking foot. I love the features of it. I think you would like either one. I sew garments as well as pieceing on it.

Blog Entries
    You can't go wrong with the 6500 in my opinion. I sold mine and bought the 6600 specifically because of the built in walking foot. It was a real pain! Free motion quilting was a pain because the quilt did catch on the dual foot mechanism. Changing the dual feet was awful. So I sold the 6600 and bought another 6500 and have been extremely happy with it! This is a real work horse and I think it will go down in history similar to the Singer Featherweight! But everyone has their own opinion and I think it would be great if you could spend some time with each machine before making your selection. Good luck!

I have had the 6600P for almost three years. It came with all teh aforementioned feet of which I use the 1/4" all the time. I have occassionally used the walking foot and it has given me no problems. It also came with the table which is in use at all times. The only thing I miss is the free arm for hems and such.

Buy the best machine you can comfortably afford. Really think about the different bells and whistles and if you will really use them. My DH wanted to recently upgrade me to the Horizon, and I said thanks but no thanks my 6600 works just fine.

I also turned down the Horizon (hubs offered). Next step for me is a long arm. My 6600P does everything I need it to for now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast