Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 or Smarter by Pfaff c1100 >

Janome 6600 or Smarter by Pfaff c1100

Janome 6600 or Smarter by Pfaff c1100

Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Janome 6600 or Smarter by Pfaff c1100

Hi there!
I am new to the forum and a new quilter within the last year. I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on a machine purchase. I began quilting last year when I became a stay at home mother. I own a Singer Patchwork, but I am looking to get something with bigger harp space and room for me to grow into as a quilter. I am interested in both the Janome 6600 and the Smarter by Pfaff. I know one has Acufeed and the other IDT, but I am not sure if there is a difference between the two. I have seen some rave reviews for the Janome 6600, but not as many for the Smarter by Pfaff. I have called around to various shops and got a wide range of price points for the Janome. There is only one Pfaff dealer in my area, so I have only that one price to go with. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM

Go with the Janome. That Smarter by Pfaff is also badged as a Singer machine and is pretty much universally hated.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

http://www.patternreview.com is a good place to get information about specific machines (including what people have paid for them). You need to create a free account to view the older reviews. Click on the sm/serger category and enter the brand of machine. You then need to scroll through all the different models for that brand to find the reviews for the specific machine you are looking for, but it's worth it.

Edit: Found these reviews of the Pfaff Smarter by Googling:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/4390
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/74226
http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2013/...hine-woes.html

Looks like the Janome would be a better choice! The Smarter seems to have tension issues.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-26-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM

The Smarter looks like a copy of the original Babylock Quest. BL was the first to grab the IDT, and did it fairly decently. It also used Pfaff's 9mm feet. I've sewn on the Original Quest, now the Serenade, and would compare the sewing to my Pfaff 2170. Using the machine did have a learning curve, far different from the Elegante and Ellure. I haven't seen the Singer, but I have seen the Smarter, and I think I would keep the 2170. The Pfaff looks cheaper than the Quest. If you can use a single stitch, Juki and Brother have far better machines than those. I haven't sewn on a Janome, but those who have them seem to like them. I'm finding the Single stitch works better on some garment construction, never mind piecing.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

I upgraded last year from the Janome 6600 and still think it's a wonderful machine.
You are bound to like it ... though I am not familiar with your current machine or the Pfaff machine you mentioned.

If you are considering the 6600, it is an older model ... I would highly recommend you look at their more recently released 8200. From what I understand it is the updated version of the 6600 with some great improvements.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies! You have all been a big help!