Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome or Juki? >

Janome or Juki?

Janome or Juki?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Janome or Juki?

I have a Janome 6500MC which I love and have worked almost to death. I want to buy either the Janome 1600P QC or the Juki 2010Q because I want something a little more industrial for straight stitching and fast FMQ. Both are in my price range. I'd like to hear your experiences and/or advice about either of these machines. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM

I have the Janome 1600 QC and it is fabulous - I have a frame for it to quilt with as well as piecing. I also used it last fall to stitch a tarp to cover our boat - the tarp needed to be shaped a little. The machine handled it fine. I've used it to sew leather on cuffs of a barn coat. I recently used it to sew velcro onto bags for a snowmobile. My husband thinks a sewing machine can do anything, and since he helps make things for me and my quilting, I try and fix/make what he asks.
I can't speak personally to the Juki, but I have heard lots of positive comments from others about them.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM

I have the Juki TL 2010Q and love it. It is a real workhorse, and I really like the speed control feature as it would go way to fast for me. Easy to use and gives a great stitch.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 PM

I also have the Janome 1600P. FYI, the Brother 1500s is essentially the same machine. The Janome has a speed control, the Brother doesn't. The Brother has an auto needle threader, the Janome doesn't. I really like the needle threader, and I can control the speed with the foot pedal, so I prefer the Brother. Hope this helps.

p.s. What's the "QC" for? Mine is a "DB" which means it takes round needles.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have the Juki TL 2010Q and love it. It is a real workhorse, and I really like the speed control feature as it would go way to fast for me. Easy to use and gives a great stitch.
I agree. I love my Juki. I've never been a Janome fan. One of the issues is that Janome has really dubious marketing strategies is Sweden. They try to stop dealers from other EU-countries to sell to Swedish customers. And they are doing this in a way that has caught the attention of the authorities. It's not legal to hinder competition in this way within the EU.

However, it has so far not been possible to prove legally, even though I know several people (including myself) who has the information in writing from retailers. It might not have anything to do with your decision, but I like fair trade. Sorry if I was OT.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM

I have Janome and juki machines. Have you looked at the all whistle and bell juki . They have a larger throat about same as ju k???
I have used these and they can bomb along or go slow. Only thing I ant do is use the needle threader no idea why . Friend who has the juki w and b says does everything but make a drink.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 AM

I recently purchased a Janome 12000 floor model. So you know I paid a pretty penny for it. As a whole I am not impressed with Janome dealers. The machines are probably pretty comparable these days. So I'd say stay clear of Janome for that reason. Janome is all about bait and switch, false advertising and all about what they can sell you. You get the machine that you think will do one thing. They don't tell you it won't, they just avoid answering, then after the sale, say "oh you're going to need another software pkg".
Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 AM

i think Jukis are FANTASTIC!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I recently purchased a Janome 12000 floor model. So you know I paid a pretty penny for it. As a whole I am not impressed with Janome dealers. The machines are probably pretty comparable these days. So I'd say stay clear of Janome for that reason. Janome is all about bait and switch, false advertising and all about what they can sell you. You get the machine that you think will do one thing. They don't tell you it won't, they just avoid answering, then after the sale, say "oh you're going to need another software pkg".

Not ALL Janome dealers treat their customers this way. Sorry yours does. There are incompetent machine dealers...and more terrific ones! Any brands....any place.

I called my dealer two days prior to Black Friday, told her I wanted to buy the janome 9900 -CASH DEAL, no trade, what is your bottom price? So happy! LOVE LOVE my janomes.

Sandy
Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 AM

I have looked at the Janome's and the Juki's to the point, that I can't remember model numbers. The only thing I remember is one has a wide throat but not the throat height of the other. Can't remember which was higher but it might make a difference.