Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly roll question >

Jelly roll question

Jelly roll question

Old 09-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Annie C View Post
I trimmed the pieces that needed it. Project is going well!
Please post a photo when the quilt is done.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM

As a new quilter I think you made the right choice to trim. Working with the correct cut in any project usually results in a nicer looking project when done. It can be discouraging to try to make something work or fit especially as a new quilter. Good luck on your quilting journey. Looking forward to seeing your completed quilt.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 AM

That is so frustrating when fabric isn't what is is supposed to be. I am working on a quilt that starts with a panel. When I cut the individual pictures from the panel they very in size, all at least an inch too small. So I have to adjust the pieces that surround the individual pictures, ugh. I measured the background fabric and it is not even 42 1/2 inches wide. From now on, I will have the width measured before I have it cut. So frustrating!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:48 AM

I sure agree with Post #9 about not prewashing the precuts...jelly rolls, charm packs, etc. until the project is completed.

As to Post #13, I got around the unequal sized pictures from a panel by adding sashing all around each picture and then squaring them all down to the same desired size. This works like a charm, and no one can tell the difference.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 AM
mac

I recently purchased a number of off-white jelly rolls from JA's and out of 7 of them two of them were way off. It was obvious that their cutter had run amok and cut them very strangely. I took them back to JA's and they didn't have any more off-white, so they returned my money.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time to make what should have been cut right in the first place. The whole point of jelly rolls was to save you time and fixing their mistake goes against my grain.

I would return them to the store I bought them at or call the company that was supposed to cut them right in the first place and have them send you a new jelly roll. I recently heard that one of the big name fabric brands that cuts jelly rolls was having a lot of complaints about the accuracy of their rolls. I won't say the name, because I don't want to spread a rumor that may or may not be true. It just makes me realize that I need keep an eye on what I purchase to insure their accuracy or why buy them at all.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annie C View Post
I trimmed the pieces that needed it. Project is going well!
This is exactly what I would do. I just a few days ago made a quilt using 2-12"-2" ans 1" strips. I cut every one myself. Been using scraps for at least 2 years and did a lot of trimming. Not a big deal.

Welcome to this board. You will love it here.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 AM

The trimming was pretty simple and I am glad I took the time to trim. However, I feel that the manufacturer could have produced a better product in the first place!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Next time, if a bunch seem wonky, I’d take it back for a refund (unless you’re in love with it, in which case the time spent correcting is worth it). I agree with some above that I would not recommend prewashing any precuts. To wash or not to wash (yardage) is highly debated and personal, but precuts are a definite no in my book.

Also, like another person said, once you get a lot more comfortable piecing, you will be able to eyeball it without trimming them down. Sounds like your project is going well so far!