Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Roll Rugs

Jelly Roll Rugs

I just finished looking at all the beautiful jelly roll rugs at Shabby Fabrics. They are just great.

Personally, I probably wouldn't let anyone put their feet on one I had made. Is it me .... after putting all that work into the rug, I would not want anyone to walk on it.

Has anyone made one and how do you handle dirt? Also, do they fray easily?

Fill me in, rug makers!

All ears here to hear what is being said!!

I haven't made one yet ....
    ...........but am considering one for my master bath.

BethTheQuilter, to answer your specific queries, here's what I am thinking.

For those that are in the know .... please correct me!!

*you should be able to toss them in the washing machine
    Everything about them is the same as our quilts, so why not?

*the raw edges are turned in as you make your rug, and stitched over
    With that in mind, there shouldn't be any fraying concerns.

As said ... just my thoughts, and look to hear responses from those who have some experience with these rugs.
    Last edited by QuiltE; 09-10-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I don't see the point of making one if you won't let anyone use it.
    They are sewn very securely and wash up beautifully. No raw edges anywhere.
    The one I made is rectangular but I think it would be the same if you made the oval one.
    QuiltE- I agree with everything you said.

Another thing I just thought of- they are a lot easier to make than I thought. Once you get in a rhythm they work up quickly.

I've made 4 or 5 - have taught 5 classes. The rugs are VERY hardy and fun to make. I had a really ugly panel that came with some fabric I loved. I cut it up and it made the coolest rug. I use my leftover batting scraps instead of buying the rolls. They wash up great also.
    Go ahead - make one (or 4)!

Thanks SusieQOH and SewGood!

Totally curious ..... I know the pattern is to use Jelly Rolls, aka 2-1/2" strips.

What do you think about using 3 or 4"?
    Would they be too wide ? and thus, too flimsy for the finished quilt??

Blog Entries
    They do not fray, there are no raw edges. They are totally washable. Great for bathmats, rugs in front of the sinks, counters. Hey hold up well and are great rugs
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

QuiltE- I don't know about making them wider. It seems to me that it would be a lot bulkier to work with? Not really sure though, just a hunch.

I have a couple of real quilts that I use as rugs in my bedroom. I don't have a problem with stepping on them.

Do your "real quilts" slip on the floor? Are they on top of a wood floor?

Has anyone used the paint on product for the back of the quilt/rug to prevent slippage?
    It's like the anti-skid-rubbery-stuff on the bottom of kids socks or sleepers.

Does it really work? or just a waste of $?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks SusieQOH and SewGood!

Totally curious ..... I know the pattern is to use Jelly Rolls, aka 2-1/2" strips.

What do you think about using 3 or 4"?
    Would they be too wide ? and thus, too flimsy for the finished quilt??
    as long as you cutting the batting strips the same size.....try it! Major stash busting idea!
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My jelly roll rug in beside my bed on carpet. Looks really nice and since I made it, I smile every time I see it. I totally agree about washing, no raw edges, sewn very secure, I would not hesitate to toss in the wash. When I make another one to go in front of my sink, I will just stitch some of the shelf liner stuff that is kinda rubbery and should keep it from slipping.
    And for QuiltE, using wider strips will result in a wider longer rug. I used 42 2.5 strips that I cut myself from my stash and the batting rolls and my finished rug ended up 30 inches wide and 42 inches long. I think the problems of using wider strips would result when sewing together. Wider strips will result in a wider and longer rug. If you don't keep it as flat as possible while stitching it will "bowl" up on you and is hard to get flat again. You would need a large flat space around your machine to keep it from curling/bowling up. Doable but something to think about and plan for.
    I posted a picture of mine on August 26 in the Picture forum. Along with a picture of the fabric I used to cut the strips.

Just a word of caution. I wouldn't use one without putting a non-skid backing under it. I had a bath mat slip out from under me when getting out of the shower. I badly scraped one foot on the marble sill in the shower when I fell. Went to the ER. They just poured saline water over it and sent me home. I got a bad infection and could have lost my foot. I was on IV antibiotics for a month. Thankfully I didn't lose my foot but it cured me forever of having a throw rug without a non-skid backing.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

The Shabby Fabric pictures are gorgeous. I've purchased the pattern and batting and plan to make some with jelly rolls I have on hand. I'm happy to hear the positives from those of you who have already made some. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    .....And for QuiltE, using wider strips will result in a wider longer rug......
    Thanks for your thoughts Murphy224 ... size isn't a concern for me as I can figure out that as I go along. I hear you about the cupping issue, which can be a bear no matter what size. Do you think it would wear the same? and be as nice, visually?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    as long as you cutting the batting strips the same size.....try it! Major stash busting idea!

Indeed ... match the sizes!
    As above, do you think it would wear the same? and be as nice, visually?

Another idea that's already on my wanna do list!

Blog Entries
    I have always wanted to make a crocheted rug like my grandmother made and used for years. I think I would prefer that to the Jelly Roll Rug.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

"Thanks for your thoughts Murphy224 ... size isn't a concern for me as I can figure out that as I go along. I hear you about the cupping issue, which can be a bear no matter what size. Do you think it would wear the same? and be as nice, visually?"

QuiltE: I think it would wear the same. With the folding of the strips you end up with 4 layers of fabric with batting between each layer. I don't think I would put one in a heavy traffic area like a front or back door, but would place one anywhere else. As for the size, you would just end up with wider "cording" to sew together and more of your fabric would show. Have you looked at any of the you tube videos to see what I am talking about? Those might give you an idea of what wider strips could look like. If you have stash, it would be an excellent way to use some up, especially those pieces that may you say......."good grief , what was I thinking and what can I do with this now" fabric. I have some more of that kind in my stash so I am plotting my next rug.
    I say go for it......
    Murphy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
    I've made 4 or 5 - have taught 5 classes. The rugs are VERY hardy and fun to make. I had a really ugly panel that came with some fabric I loved. I cut it up and it made the coolest rug. I use my leftover batting scraps instead of buying the rolls. They wash up great also.
    Go ahead - make one (or 4)!
    Oooh....a great use for ugly fabric. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I have always wanted to make a crocheted rug like my grandmother made and used for years. I think I would prefer that to the Jelly Roll Rug.
    My grandmother used a punch method with old sock strips for her rugs. I never cared for them as the rugs were drab, but they wore like iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    QuiltE: I think it would wear the same. With the folding of the strips you end up with 4 layers of fabric with batting between each layer. I don't think I would put one in a heavy traffic area like a front or back door, but would place one anywhere else. As for the size, you would just end up with wider "cording" to sew together and more of your fabric would show. Have you looked at any of the you tube videos to see what I am talking about? Those might give you an idea of what wider strips could look like. If you have stash, it would be an excellent way to use some up, especially those pieces that may you say......."good grief , what was I thinking and what can I do with this now" fabric. I have some more of that kind in my stash so I am plotting my next rug.
    I say go for it......
    Murphy
    Thanks Murphy ... yes, I am familiar with the process and look, and have seen youtube videos. However, I have not seen any that have used wider strips. So if you have a link to an example or two, I'd appreciate it. My plan is for it to be in the master bath, with an appropriate anti-skid underneath.

batting for jelly roll rug

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks Murphy ... yes, I am familiar with the process and look, and have seen youtube videos. However, I have not seen any that have used wider strips. So if you have a link to an example or two, I'd appreciate it. My plan is for it to be in the master bath, with an appropriate anti-skid underneath.
    Just to let you know......Nancy's Notions has a 25 yard roll of 2 1/2" batting strips on sale for $9.99 today for use in making jelly roll rugs. $4.95 for shipping. I bought a roll because I think it would take me forever to cut all of those strips and I have too many other projects that I need to work on.

I'm anxious to start my rug. The ones I have seen look really nice.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

mac
    Just yesterday a quilting friend brought one she made to our senior sewing. It was beautiful. She did say, however, that she didn't think that it could be washed. She said that it was a lot of work. After looking at it, I would never put it on the floor to be walked on. I really don't think that it would hold up to the wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by VernaL View Post
    Just to let you know......Nancy's Notions has a 25 yard roll of 2 1/2" batting strips on sale for $9.99 today for use in making jelly roll rugs. $4.95 for shipping......
    Thanks for the tip.
    However, shipping to Canada is never quite as friendly as it is for you receiving it within the USA,
    so i will not be ordering. Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how clothes line would work and wear.....

It would be cheaper and make a sturdier rug.

Another thought...for high traffic areas perhaps duck could be used.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by thrums View Post
    Another thought...for high traffic areas perhaps duck could be used.
    I think that you are right, duck would be a lot stronger material than quilting cotton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast