Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book >

Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book

Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book

Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Love her books! Have read them all and just bought the new one!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day View Post
I've just finished the Union Quilters. I usually love her books, but this one was too heavy on history and war scenes for me. It seems to me that it was inspired by Gone With the Wind, written from a Northern States perspective. There were two female rivals for one man, he (Just like Ashley Wilkes) married one because the family expected it(Just like Melanie WIlkes), and the other(Scarlett O Hara) held a flame for him all through the book. Maybe a Rhett Butler character would have livened it up a bit! I do like a bad boy.
The attitude of the Northern States army to the African Americans was well written, and bought to my mind Scarlett O'Hara thinking about how if the Northerners are so scared of African Americans (not what she called them), then why did they fight a war to free them? For me, this evoked memories of my Great Uncles and Uncles and brothers who fought for Australia in WW1 and WW2, Korea and Vietnam but were not legally citizens of Australia as they were Aboriginal Australians.
I would prefer more character focused writing than a history lesson, and I do love history. Just not war history. I grew up with a father who had been to four wars, and everyone would give him war books for his birthday and christmas. He would quietly donate them to the local Returned Services League. Maybe this is where I get my feelings towards this from?

Anyway, I will buy the next one to see if it is different.
I agree with the too much history part of you post but I don't think it was anything comparable to GWTW. It was nice to read a northern point of view, most tend to be written in the southern point of view IMO. The Runaway Quilt was by far a better read. I am not a big fan of the past, present & future way of writing. Bummer.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Just love her books. have them all. now reading the wedding quilt.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM

I just bought the three first books by her yesterday! Need to catch up on my reading, hadn't heard of her books until a couple of weeks ago! Started the last one last week. I'd love to get a promo postcard for our library!

I will send a pm

Debs
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM

just finished reading The Wedding Quilt it was enjoyable but not one of the best she wrote...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM

This thread started me to re read the series....I am working on the Runaway Quilt again...Just as good the second time. Still have several to enjoy for the second time...
Old 11-12-2011, 08:09 AM

I've already finished it and passed it on to a friend!!!!! It's a good one!!!!