Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jo-Ann's Fabrics

That is wonderful what a nice person!
    I recently asked at our local JoAnn's why they are cutting the "Exact" Cut requested and the explaination was (This is after they cut off 1 1/2" to make the piece straight!! The JoAnn's is being Audited and they can not give and extra 1/2 or 1 inch cut. But it's okay to cut off an inaccurate cut and throw it away instead of giving a little to their customers.

nab
    Here in Billings, Montana we have a great crew at our Joann's.

My Joanns is really nice too. I usually try and find fabric that is near the end of the bolt, if I can. You get the first yard at regular price and 50% off end of the bolt. I do pretty good and the cutter is always excited too!

Friendly Joann cutter = priceless

And I"m not just talking about extra free yrdge...Simple curtesy is great...I've had both good and bad experiences.. The "bad" definitely had NO patience with my newbie little questions lol = Remember the good help by name

Blog Entries
    I have to chime in here. My Joann's is a joy to visit. The staff is very helpful and friendly. I have never posed a question that did not receive a prompt and courteous answer!

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm
    I just wanted to share my happy experience with you guys.

I picked out my fabric and went to the cut counter. The cutter was a total sweetheart. She made sure to give me a little extra on every cut (about 1/2-1" ) so that I would get the full amount I paid for. There was a pricing issue that she made sure I wasn't getting over charged. Then came a batik I was buying at 50% off. She offered me the last 1/3 of the yard for an additional 50% off. Of course I took it at end-of-bolt price. One fabric I only bought an 1/8 of it. When I got home an 1/8 would have been just a touch small for the pattern I decided on for my Monthly Quilting Bee swap block. BUT because she had given me that little extra it was PERFECT!!!! How awesome is that???

Anyway just had to share :)
    There are always one or two good apples in a bad bag

Blog Entries
    Most of the time Jo-ann's in Dover DE is very helpful, but there is one cutter who barely gives you what you requested. When I get home I now measure each cut before I wash to make sure I was given the right amount. I have been shorted a few times.

Oh YEA! This sounds like a good store. Wish it were always true. Some clerks I've learned to avoid...I've been thru repeated sad experiences over. There is one clerk who consistently uses the "short" side to start and end measuring. It happens with her each time. I see her on Thursdays usually...so I don't go to "unnamed" quilt store on Thursdays anymore. It happened to me each time with her. Others are just great though.

Love to hear good news! Thanks for sharing!! :)

I think maybe I described what she did badly. She did mark the exact measurement on the yard stick. BUT how I'm saying a little was added was that she started a little past the yard stick. Some of the bolts were really badly cut to begin with so in doing that I ended up with a smidgen extra. I'm guestimating that it was 1/2 - 1" more cause I know it wasn't exact or short.... so not a huge amount over, Just enough to make a difference :)

If I'm close to end of bolt at Joann, I "purchase" only what will leave just under a yard on the bolt. That way, I get almost an entire yard at 50% off. I recently purchased a Debbie Mumm fabric that was on sale for 50% off. I got a yard and a half for 3.08. It was fantastic.

Banned
    I've had very good experiences at a large JoAnn here in Austin. But just a little story about LQS people that shows that they're not always very customer-oriented: A good friend of mine spent almost $100 at a well-known LQS and when she got home discovered a big dye flaw in the middle of one piece, and when she took it back they told her it was "supposed to be like that" which it wasn't--no such marks on the rest of the bolt. They still wouldn't replace her fabric nor give her a refund--very nasty about it, too. Needless to say, they lost a good customer that day. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" ?. Pretty amazing.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm
    I just wanted to share my happy experience with you guys.

I picked out my fabric and went to the cut counter. The cutter was a total sweetheart. She made sure to give me a little extra on every cut (about 1/2-1" ) so that I would get the full amount I paid for. There was a pricing issue that she made sure I wasn't getting over charged. Then came a batik I was buying at 50% off. She offered me the last 1/3 of the yard for an additional 50% off. Of course I took it at end-of-bolt price. One fabric I only bought an 1/8 of it. When I got home an 1/8 would have been just a touch small for the pattern I decided on for my Monthly Quilting Bee swap block. BUT because she had given me that little extra it was PERFECT!!!! How awesome is that???

Anyway just had to share :)
    Obviously depends on the person behind the counter cutting fabric, not all are so good, and sometimes an offgrain piece will result in short yardage.

Although JoAnn's is not my favorite place for a "quilt shop", I do sometimes end up there. Having traveled quite a bit of the country, I can tell you that what the saleswoman did for you is JoAnn's policy. If you are not getting that kind of service or offers, ask for them, or complain!

Quote Originally Posted by danade
    I've had very good experiences at a large JoAnn here in Austin. But just a little story about LQS people that shows that they're not always very customer-oriented: A good friend of mine spent almost $100 at a well-known LQS and when she got home discovered a big dye flaw in the middle of one piece, and when she took it back they told her it was "supposed to be like that" which it wasn't--no such marks on the rest of the bolt. They still wouldn't replace her fabric nor give her a refund--very nasty about it, too. Needless to say, they lost a good customer that day. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" ?. Pretty amazing.

Dana
    That is pretty amazing. Especially if she is a regular customer. LQS depend on regulars and usually offer cards to stamp for extras, etc. I've been in several where I have given my "stamps" to the person standing in line behind me cuz I know I'm out of town and won't be able to use it. They must have needed the immediate money an awful lot to lose a customer over something that they could take back and cut into fat quarters or yards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    lucky you! the sales people at our joannes should travel there and take some lessons! they are rude, know absolutely nothing about sewing or any other craft i know of, are horrible at cutting fabric and it just about kills me to have to enter that store for anything.
    Wow! Where are you in N. MI? I go in lots of JoAnn's when traveling, have never had a problem. I use the Portage (near K'zoo) store at least weekly, plus one of the Grand Rapids stores, and Holland pretty often. Never had a moments problem in any of them. Those are both larger stores than ours here, so better selections especially of books. Sorry you are dissatisfied.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Yay.. Someone was smiling down on you today.. :D

Banned
    I do love the huge selection of books and magazines at JoAnn. Plus you can use your 40% or 50% off coupons for books/magazines. Here in Austin their coupons come in the mail, in the newspaper and of course in the stores themselves. I'm not on their email list, if they have one, but that would be another way to get them. Plus they'll let you use however many you have in any one checkout!

Dana

I have shop at our JoAnns for years.I have never had a bad salesperson. They have always been kind and helpful. Its really to bad that all the JoAnns cant be that way.

Blog Entries
    You're lucky. The workers at our Jo-Anns measure very accurately!!

Wow, that is great. But I hope the poor gal doesn't get caught giving you an extra inch. their inventory will tell them exactly how many inches they have in stock. LOL

I love my Jo-Ann's. It's in Yuba City Ca. Rebecca is the store manager she would do anything for you. They go out of their way to be helpful. I have a quilt store right by in Marysville. The quilt store carries better fabric but they are sooo rude I hate to spend money in there. I go to Jo-Ann for everything I can. I hate to hear that aren't all as good as mine.

my JoAnn doesn't cut anything extra--but i think they are careful to be sure the cut is straight and you get full value. With their half-price coupons, i am still thinking i get good value at the store. Also--the clerks are all very friendly and try to be helpful. Last visit, (i forgot my 50% off coupon) and the clerk offered to let me use one that a previous shopper left at the checkout! Nice. :)

I have to stick in my opinion!!

I have been here for just over a month and have visited two Jo-Ann's - one in Travere City and one in Birmingham. I have spent a scary amount of money (dont tell my husband!) and havehad great service each time - even though I have had dozens of fabrics to cut each visit!!!

The first day I went to Jo-Ann's the lady in front of me in the que - took one look at my loaded trolly and gave me a big handful of vouchers from her purse!!! Saved me over $40!! I know she didn't work for Jo-Ann - but still a great experience.

Well, good help is hard to find... lots of teens, incl. boys, working. They have to learn sometime and sometime I'm the teacher!!!!!! Hahaha Making sure the fabric is straight, edges even, grain as close as possible, plaids (homespuns) cut single layers... etc. Caveat emptor.
    Glad there are some decent employees out there.
    Thanks for sharing and bringing this issue up front!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast