Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnns High Priced Fabric - Shocker >

JoAnns High Priced Fabric - Shocker

JoAnns High Priced Fabric - Shocker

Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM

the quality of jo ans fabric has really gone downhill. walmart has better quality. i use the coupons for notions or batting
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM

even at $6.99 that is so CHEAP compared to the $22.00 plus we pay for most of our fabrics in Australia and our $ are just about $ for $ at the moment. the only way I buy fabric is from America or if it is on special.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM

I did quite well today at JoAnn for once. I got 3 yrds of batik for quilt backing and 2 spools of cotton perle for just over $23. I took my flyer with me and told the sales clerk that I wanted to use the 40% off coupon for the fabric. It was $12.99 a yard. She said there should be a 50% off coupon and found one and then she said "Let's see what we can do for the thread." She used two 40% off coupons on the thread. Full price for the fabric alone would have been over $40 with tax.

I hadn't planned on such expensive fabric for the backing, but I couldn't find anything I liked that was less. So I figured with the 40% off coupon it would be less expensive than the LQS. I still have other coupons in the flyer and a few more days to use them and I need more fabric for backing for other quilts. I do wish they would make the flyers easier to use though. I'm so glad the sales lady was so helpful.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 PM

And I have noticed the price of their batiks is now $12.99 yard. Rheir quality is better than it used to be in the Batiks, but....... Even fabric Depot which is close to me and marks up their prices so they can have lots of good sales isn't going up like JoAnn's. I have noticed that JoAnn's really mark up seasonl , holiday quilt fabrics. Cranston 9.99 a yard. Not worth it.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 AM

I don't buy fabric there but I do buy notions, craft supplies etc. I have noticed that the clerks are being a lot more generous with returning coupons that are already used etc. This helps out!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Hancocks takes joanns coupons. But our hancock has always had high prices.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by connie_1936
the quality of jo ans fabric has really gone downhill. walmart has better quality. i use the coupons for notions or batting
If you want the better quality, stick to their premium brands-Debbie Mumm, Legacy Studios, etc-their premium fabrics are in a separate area. Their Keepsake Calico is their "Walmart" quality, and usually about 4.99/yar, but that is their largest selection. I have used both qualities, and find their premium brands just as good as LQS fabric, but less expensive if you make use of their coupons, or at least wait until they are 40-50% off, which is a few times a year. Many times, They are only 30% off, but if you get a 10-20% coupon good on your total sale, that knocks it right down. I was just at our Walmart which still has the fabric section, and I walked away without buying-selection wasn't near as wide as Joann's and for the same quality and price, I might as well buy Joann's Keepsake Calico with coupons.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

I wonder if this has anything to do with that buyout they did late last year? Maybe it is the new owners raising the prices.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Really? I haven't been in a Jo Ann's since before Christmas, but I need some black Kona cotton. Looks like I need to bring my coupons. They really went up $3 a yard? :shock:
I was told Joann's was dropping Kona solids-when I was there last week, (and I went to two stores), they didn't have many colors-Luckily I only needed white. I saw Kona on sale ON-LINE today at Hancocks-I think it was 30% off-plus they have an on-line coupon for an ADDITIONAL 15% off before March 11th. The code is OFTBF to use for the additional discount. They have black as well as many other colors. Worth checking it out. Joann's was $5.99 for bleached, and I got a couple yards of navy for $6.99 a yard. Good thing I had coupons!
3 yards of fabric is $14.35 but the shipping on that is $5.95. :shock: This sounds like wonderful fabric, but the shipping is much more than I am willing to pay for such a small order.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM

I was in Jo-Ann's fabric two days ago. What at shock. The batiks were $12.99 per yard. The lower priced novelty fabrics were very flimsy. Used my coupon for some peltex to make tote bags.