Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma

Blog Entries

Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma

I just completed my first Judy N. pattern - queen size Feathered Star and I'm stuck on how to quilt it. Sending it out is not an option (I want to do this entirely myself). I'm not good enough with free motion and very limited on what I can do well. I have Quilt Motion but would have to do an edge-to-edge pattern. Can anyone give me some ideas or know of this quilt being done E2E that I could see?
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I just completed my first Judy N. pattern - queen size Feathered Star and I'm stuck on how to quilt it. Sending it out is not an option (I want to do this entirely myself). I'm not good enough with free motion and very limited on what I can do well. I have Quilt Motion but would have to do an edge-to-edge pattern. Can anyone give me some ideas or know of this quilt being done E2E that I could see?
    What about ruler work
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Since you want an all over design, I would take a look at wholecloth quilting designs. I know someone who did a paper pieced Judy Niemeyer quilt top and it took her several years with a lot of cursing, huffing and puffing and ripping out. She paid someone else to quilt the top. Her experience left me with the impression that only a pro could complete one. Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    What about ruler work
    I've not mastered ruler work yet but it could be an option - thanks.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Congrats on your finish! Another option is to wait until you have more confidence in your quilting. Practice your techniques on smaller projects first and then attempt the special ones. Nothing wrong with waiting.

There are times, I've waited and glad for learning on smaller projects. Other times, you just jump right in to the deep end of quilting. Either way...remember to have fun!

I sympathize with your dilemma, as I'm in the process of finishing up one of her patterns. Have you checked the photo gallery on Quiltworx? I saw one of the queen feathered stars that looked as if was an all over pattern. Because of the design I think it would work well for some straight line quilting...lines that radiate outwards...if that makes any sense. Anyway here's a link to the pattern, just scroll down to see the gallery pictures. You can also look on face book.

http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/feathered-star-queen/

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
    Sue

I did a hoop sisters feathered star It was quilted using monofilament thread in a large stippling pattern can't see the quilting on the front just the back The stippling was just enough to hold the sandwich together.