Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma >

Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma

Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma

Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Default Judy Niemeyer Feathered Star dilemma

I just completed my first Judy N. pattern - queen size Feathered Star and I'm stuck on how to quilt it. Sending it out is not an option (I want to do this entirely myself). I'm not good enough with free motion and very limited on what I can do well. I have Quilt Motion but would have to do an edge-to-edge pattern. Can anyone give me some ideas or know of this quilt being done E2E that I could see?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I just completed my first Judy N. pattern - queen size Feathered Star and I'm stuck on how to quilt it. Sending it out is not an option (I want to do this entirely myself). I'm not good enough with free motion and very limited on what I can do well. I have Quilt Motion but would have to do an edge-to-edge pattern. Can anyone give me some ideas or know of this quilt being done E2E that I could see?
What about ruler work
Old 03-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Since you want an all over design, I would take a look at wholecloth quilting designs. I know someone who did a paper pieced Judy Niemeyer quilt top and it took her several years with a lot of cursing, huffing and puffing and ripping out. She paid someone else to quilt the top. Her experience left me with the impression that only a pro could complete one. Congratulations!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
What about ruler work
I've not mastered ruler work yet but it could be an option - thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Congrats on your finish! Another option is to wait until you have more confidence in your quilting. Practice your techniques on smaller projects first and then attempt the special ones. Nothing wrong with waiting.

There are times, I've waited and glad for learning on smaller projects. Other times, you just jump right in to the deep end of quilting. Either way...remember to have fun!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 AM

I sympathize with your dilemma, as I'm in the process of finishing up one of her patterns. Have you checked the photo gallery on Quiltworx? I saw one of the queen feathered stars that looked as if was an all over pattern. Because of the design I think it would work well for some straight line quilting...lines that radiate outwards...if that makes any sense. Anyway here's a link to the pattern, just scroll down to see the gallery pictures. You can also look on face book.

http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/feathered-star-queen/

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM

I did a hoop sisters feathered star It was quilted using monofilament thread in a large stippling pattern can't see the quilting on the front just the back The stippling was just enough to hold the sandwich together.