Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? >

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 AM

I have made a few of her patterns. My best piece of advice -- read the entire directions before you begin to make sure you understand all the steps to take. If you just follow the steps, it's not that hard.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks everyone! I think that I will take the advice of starting with a simpler Judy Niemeyer pattern. One I get the gist, I can move on to a more complicated piece...or be totally confused and check out something else. That's what I love about quilting...you can keep growing and learn more and more, or just be happy and creative where you stay put.

~ Cindy
Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I would have to be sure I *like* paper piecing before attempting one of Judy's patterns. The few times I did paper piecing, I really did not enjoy the process.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM

I am making the Sea Urchins quilt at the moment. I am not too good with reading instructions, but I have persisted with these ones.
I love how all the fabric is precut for each section as it has really minimised the waste. I am only in the piecing stage so I am not sure how I will go putting it all together but I am hopeful
Old 06-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

I have done Judy's and once you get PP, you get it! Try it!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 AM

I have done several and although her directions are intimidating (I had to read them twice on my first one). My favorite part of her directions is that she gives you templates to cut the fabric for the paper piecing. There isn't much waste with this method. Her patterns take some time, but I didn't actually find them all that difficult. It does take a bit to get a rhythm down with the paper piecing. On her older patterns you need to be careful with your points. On most of the newer patterns, she designed them so the points "float" which makes it easier.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 AM

I understand the attraction to Judy Niemeyer's pattern I love them too. My first two Judy quilts that I did, I took classes. Her patterns look difficult, but they are very detailed. The instuctor explained and I learned that her method is very organized and keeps parts and pieces together and makes the process easier . Classes are the way to go. Worth the money, because the results are tremendous....Paper pieceing is not my favorite method, but the results are worth it. If you have never paper pieced before, I suggest Carol Doak also. Her process is simple to understand and you can see if you like it. Don't get discouraged.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 AM

I forgot to mention that Judy's website http://www.quiltworx.com/ has a placed for pattern corrections. Check there before you start making your quilt.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I have never done any of her patterns. But, there is a class offered over at Craftsy on paper piecing. It's called "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" and is taught by Carol Doak. I'm not real good at paper piecing. You need to be able to think backwards and my brain has trouble with that!

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
Check them out. I have signed up for several of the other classes and have not been disappointed. Maybe someone here has taken this one.

I don't think I have paid full price for a class yet. I wait for their sales. You just missed a good one over Mother's Day weekend. Sign up for their newsletters. You can also watch their intro videos - that will let you know if your computer can handle the videos. Some have better luck watching them through Chrome rather than IE or Mozilla.

They also have a few freebies. Look under the sewing as well as the quilting ones for the freebies.

I bought the Carol Doak class from craftsy. Even tho I have already learned to paper piece on my own, I learned a lot from her class. AND best of all, I get to watch it as many times as I want!!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 AM

If you can paper piece you'll be fine. If you go to her web site she even says that they are broken down and simple enough for a confident beginner paper piecer to quilt. People are so often put off by what looks complicated - you can do it!