Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas! >

Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas!

Just home from Ireland with LOTS of quilting ideas!

Old 09-19-2015, 04:33 AM

The family and I took a trip to Ireland a couple of years ago. The Irish are very nice to tourists
Old 09-19-2015, 04:47 AM

I did a quilt Ireland tour last summer with Kim Caskey. We did go to several quilt shops and had a lesson on celtic quilting. I think Rags to Linda was my favorite. What hospitality! Her shop is small so her neighbor made tea. We sat on the patio and took turns shopping. Her husband is a terrific gardener, so there were flowers every where. They raise chickens as well. What fun drinking tea, talking quilting and enjoying the patio. Kim does a tour every summer. There are great accommodations and a reasonable price.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:44 AM

We used to live in Ireland; hubby is from Ireland & the children grew up there. Never saw a quilt shop myself but, then, we were out in the sticks -- & it was quite a while ago! It is the most beautiful country though. We are going back shortly for a family wedding. There won't be any time for quilt shop searches.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Don't feel bad, we were in Ireland last year, my husband is Irish, and we drove past Rags to Linda even though I was looking for it. The sign is really small and it wasn't till I double checked instructions about 1/2 hour past that I realised we had sailed past it. Hubby did offer to turn back but I had shopped from her when she attended a quilt show in England. Luckily our cousin knew of a quilt shop in Armagh and she took me there for a morning so that was a great consolation.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:33 AM

I'm so wishing I could go back to Ireland again. We have made 3 trips there and yet I long to go back. The countryside is beautiful and the people are very friendly. On our last trip we did the southern end of Ireland from Gallway down and back up through Waterford to Dublin. Awesome trip. Except when I fell in a field covered with sheep manure! LOL Found a pub for lunch and changed clothes in a tiny bathroom stall. What memories were made that trip.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:33 PM

I loved Ireland! Was there, unfortunately, before I began my quiltmaking hobby, but we found locally made lace (pillow covers) which I bought. Loved the people, loved the flowers, loved the landscape, loved Cliffs of Moher, and loved (some) of the food. I agree, it's a country worth repeat visits!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Like so many of you--I can't wait to go back! And thank you Roisinom, I'll bookmark those websites for my next trip--think it will be at least 3 years as we plan a train trip to Washington DC next year and 2017 will be a drive to Idaho for family event (maybe with 3 g-boys who will be 3,4,8 by then--how crazy am I??). I would have loved to have found someplace to purchase some of that lovely woolen yardage, too!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great vacation..
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 AM

At Celtic Quilt Tours we offer quilt shop-hops and textile stops in Ireland and Scotland. This will be our third year travelling to Ireland, our second to Scotland and first to Alsace, France. Visit our web-site www.celticquilttours.com for details on all of our itineraries. Debbi