Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or does anyone else get aggrevated.... >

Is it just me or does anyone else get aggrevated....

Is it just me or does anyone else get aggrevated....

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
Just curious, why are you offended when fabric is torn? The tear is on the grain......
I mind because sometimes the fabric is "frazzled" - for lack of a better term - up to an inch on both sides of the tear.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by np3
Just curious, why are you offended when fabric is torn? The tear is on the grain......
I mind because sometimes the fabric is "frazzled" - for lack of a better term - up to an inch on both sides of the tear.
True, it does that when it is pre-washed sometimes too. But don't you find that when you fold your fabric to square the end that you lose up to an inch sometimes? If it is on the bolt "wonky" and they do the perfect cut with the rotary blade, I find I am sometimes short.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by np3
True, it does that when it is pre-washed sometimes too. But don't you find that when you fold your fabric to square the end that you lose up to an inch sometimes? If it is on the bolt "wonky" and they do the perfect cut with the rotary blade, I find I am sometimes short.
1) I usually try to check the grain line on the bolt before buying to see if it seems to be reasonably "on"

1a) If it is off-grain, and I buy it anyway, I buy "extra" to compensate for that.

2) I overcast or serge the raw edges before washing, so I "lose" only the seamed part (maybe 1/8 inch on each end)

3) If it is "off-grain" - technically, I don't "lose" anything - my rectangle just became a parallelogram and the ends aren't perpendicular to the selvages. Sometimes it's been up to three or four inches.

I know these things because:

1) I have on occasion bought or been given fabrics that were seriously off-grain and only usable for rug weaving.

2) I used to just wash the fabrics without overcasting the ends - and sometimes some of the fabrics would unravel up to 3/4 of an inch or more - especially the so-called "better" ones if they had a bit of a bias ends.

3) Sometimes I have "lost" fabric due to shrinkage. I have measured fabrics before and after washing them. Not all of them shrink. Some shrink a lot.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by np3
1) I usually try to check the grain line on the bolt before buying to see if it seems to be reasonably "on"

1a) If it is off-grain, and I buy it anyway, I buy "extra" to compensate for that.

2) I overcast or serge the raw edges before washing, so I "lose" only the seamed part (maybe 1/8 inch on each end)

3) If it is "off-grain" - technically, I don't "lose" anything - my rectangle just became a parallelogram and the ends aren't perpendicular to the selvages. Sometimes it's been up to three or four inches.

I know these things because:

1) I have on occasion bought or been given fabrics that were seriously off-grain and only usable for rug weaving.

2) I used to just wash the fabrics without overcasting the ends - and sometimes some of the fabrics would unravel up to 3/4 of an inch or more - especially the so-called "better" ones if they had a bit of a bias ends.

3) Sometimes I have "lost" fabric due to shrinkage. I have measured fabrics before and after washing them. Not all of them shrink. Some shrink a lot.
Never thought of serging before I wash. Good idea.

If the grain is off, do you still use it for patterns that call for WOF?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I usually make my first cut parallel to/with the selvage.

That way, if cutting squares or rectangles, at least two sides of the piece will be on-grain.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
np3
Power Poster

I usually make my first cut parallel to/with the selvage.

That way, if cutting squares or rectangles, at least two sides of the piece will be on-grain.
Thanks, I appreciate the answers.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

My favorite quilt shops here in town cut with a mat and rotory cutter. I love that more than I can express.

But the fabric stores are a completely different story.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Been there !!!And I can so relate... Now I watch when they cut my fabric. If i don't like what i see I make sure to mention.. Hey its my money, and I want what i paid for!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Our closest Hancock Fabrics has recently been remodeled to include lots more crafting items. It's a great improvement over the old store. On my last trip there, I was buying fabric for the first time since the remodel and noticed that the cutting table had the standard rulers along the edge, but NO "groove" or line for the clerk to follow for cutting straight. I commented to the gal who was cutting for me and she didn't seem bothered by it. She, fortunately, had a good eye for "straight" and cut my fabric okay. I'm gonna be really watchful the next time I go in there. Often I get a clerk who doesn't give a darn how she cuts. That could cause me to be seriously short on fabric once I straighten out the cut.

Let the buyer beware!!!

Sue
Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I never minded until I noticed, with a gingham, that the lines were a little distorted. I wasn't why it was that way, but an older/wiser quilter showed me that when they tear the fabric, sometimes it stresses the threads that make up the fabric but we rarely catch it unless it's with an obviously, straight line fabric. Months later, I read the same thing in one of my quilting books. Now, I cut just to be safe. :|