Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does anyone else get aggrevated....

Quote Originally Posted by bluadept
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    there is a lady at joanns I will wait till someone else is free she is notorious for not cutting staring and tearing the fabric! Cannot stand it just waist.
    Joann's trains their people not to give an extra amount if the cut is crooked. They are supposed to cut it off and throw it away. Stupid way to do business if you ask me.
    Actually we are trained to cut straight but if it is already crocked, we are to straighted it out then measure the accurate amount. We are tested monthy . If you want 1 inch you get it exactly
    Oh we also have to account for the amount that we we eventually thrown out by the inch and item number. When inventory time comes we have to account for every inch of that fabric. So if you want 12 inches ask for it but if you really needed more make sure that is what is requested.

I had an issue with this same thing very recently!
    Had a lady cutting my fabric with scissors and trying to only give me exactly on the line...except she was not holding the fabric still while cutting!
    I had to ask her to measure the end opposite to her, and sure enough it was too narrow.
    I kept watching with every cut and would even place my hand on the corner in front of me, to help her keep it lined up accurately.
    Needless to say, it was a nerve wracking experience from start to finish!!!
    If your using a rotary cutter and ruler...ok, give me EXACTLY what I asked for.
    If your using scissors, I think since none of us is perfect, add a scrawny 1/4" to be fair to the customer!
    Who wants to have to hunt down more fabric bc they are short by a fraction of an inch...that they paid for.

I even pointed out very tactfully and sweet that "don't u feel like this fabric is a little off here?" but they still say it's straight over here or nope ! And go on cutting!! That is my pet peeve with fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    Yeah,irritating. I was in a shop a while back, got 4 yds. Obviously, the bolt had been cut wonky. The clerk laid it straight on the table, needed to cut almost 3 inches off to make a straight cut. I told her If she just measured from the straight, she didn't need to cut off the wonky part. "OH, no, no way, I couldn't do that." So she cut it, then THREW THE WONKY PART IN THE TRASH!!
    grrrrrr!!!!!!!
    Way back when...I worked in a place and had to watch big trays full of great food get dumped in the trash!
    I hate waste and there's not much in this world the mouse hates.
    that was just gringy-stingy! :?
    That's what I love about the people on here...very kind and generous :XD:

Not that, my sister, is the world's biggest waste....going to an buffet and pile it on and then eat just a bit and throw it away for more food ! Ugh ! Money wasted !!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I bought some panels once at Walmart, curtain panels. I told the girl I wanted 14 of them then I said, I'll be back and went to look at more fabric. When I came back she'd cut 8 of them straight across the folded fabric and ruined them. Then she got upset when I refused to take them. I said, "Okay, you obviously haven't been shown how to cut fabric, you ruined them beyond what I can use and I'm supposed to overlook that and take them? No, this isn't going to happen. What is going to happen is I'm going to show you how to cut in the future." and I did. I was able to salvage enough and found another bolt so I got what I wanted.
    That was good of you to teach her-sometimes the clerks just don't know how to do that, and we suffer for it. Fortunately, where I buy most of my fabric, they give 1-2 extra inches no matter what the fabric print is.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    Bearisgray: Losing so much to fraying in the wash is exactly why I hand wash all my fabric in the kitchen sink now. There will still be some stringies, by NOTHING like the wad you get from a washing machine. What I wish I had was an old fashioned wringer!!
    I cut mine with a rotary pinking blade and that helps quite a bit. It doesn't get rid of all of it, but I don't get the tangled wad I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    It always bugs me at Hancocks when the measure the end of the bold to the inch and charge me for it...
    Wow . . . me too. My lqs has great fabrics, but they are more pricey than other stores in the area. The charge me for every thread of fabric, and it bugs me. I feel like they're squeezing me for every penny in my wallet. If their fabrics weren't so beautiful (batiks--they have the best in town), I wouldn't shop there at all, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Just curious, why are you offended when fabric is torn? The tear is on the grain......
    Because my mother told me so. She was an expert seamstress, and it bugged her when the fabric was torn. I guess I learned it from her--and she was very smart about stuff like that. I don't know why it bugged her. It just did.

The mill is not the ones that get fabric on the bolts misaligned and pulled off grain. It is the distributor. The mills send the fabrics on 3000 yard rolls. When the distrubutor receives and bolts the fabric on 15 yard put ups, this is when the fabric gets pulled out of whack. As the fabric is rolled around the bolt and the fabric builds up, it starts to get pulled more to one side than the other. When the fabric store receives the bolt, and doesn't correct this right off, the entire bolt can be cut off kilter, causing each cut to be 2-4 inches off. Most fabric stores are not very knowledgable about this fact, so don't square up their bolts first hand.

I think the only solution is to check the fabric while you are at the cutting station and if it is NOT straight, then hand it back to them to give you a new fresh cut of fabric. They won't be making those mistakes too much longer. Owners won't be happy to have all those 'remnant pieces' at discounted prices cuz their staff won't cut straight.

I haven't done that exactly, but I have taken fabric back to Joann's when the cut was bad and they did replace the fabric. It was just a pain in the butt for me time wise and having to drive and use the extra gas.

my 2 cents

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Regarding cutting or tearing fabric.... I found this and it was interesting solution, just not sure I want to do it with all my fabric.

http://www.american-doll-outfitters.com/grain_line.html

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Our JoAnn's uses scissors to cut and the fabric always ends up crooked. I wish they would use a rotary cutter and, if not, then just rip. At least that would be straighter. I always buy 1/4 yd. extra at JoAnn's to compensate and often need it.

I forgot to mention that I use a Martelli ergonomic rotary cutter and ruler to cut my fabrics, so I have less problems cutting straight and no hand problems to contend with either.

Power Poster
    Yes I totally agree. They are professionals and should cut the material the correct way and give us 1l4 or 1/8th of an inch just for the heck of it. :lol:

Not a "stupid" way to do business at all. The store clerks are adhering to company policy and could lose their jobs over giving a customer more than they asked for. The corporate world is a beast sometimes, but it's all about bottom-line profit. Please don't blame the staff. They are only doing what their employer requires them to do--meaning Hancock's, Joann's etc. Not sure about LQS's but their profit margin is much lower, so I assume they need to be extra careful.
    If I need to pay for an extra inch or two, that's fine with me. I've been shorted a couple of inches on muslin for a backing and my quilt was ruined, so I get extra to compensate for "human error".

I just bought some dog fabric and I was telling the gal that I'm making a quilt out of show ribbons for our shar-pei breeder. So I was telling her that I was going to fussy cut the shar-pei dogs for the center blocks. So what does she do instead of measuring 2 extra inches or even asking if I wanted a bit more she cuts off the tops of the shar-pei dogs heads. so now I'm out a whole row of dogs that I could have used and might have needed. To say the least I was a bit miffed.
    But also my fault because I didn't catch her in time to make her cut above the heads. I guess that falls into the live and learn and keep a close eye on what their doing. and scream loud as they start kjym Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    Bearisgray: Losing so much to fraying in the wash is exactly why I hand wash all my fabric in the kitchen sink now. There will still be some stringies, by NOTHING like the wad you get from a washing machine. What I wish I had was an old fashioned wringer!!
    Oh, what a great idea! I have 2 of them in my basement!!! Now to just convince my DH that I need to have one of them hooked up to water for washing fabrics :-D :thumbup:

Also, at JoAnns they only pay minimum wage, and half the employees that work there know next to nothing about sewing. All they know how to do it cut, get it into the little machine and next customer please.

I bought some of the boy scout fabric so that my daughter and I could make a memory quilt for her husband. We plan to incorporate his badges, shirts, and photos to celebrate his years in scouting. I would love to see the quilts you and others are making for your Scout.:)

I tend to buy the bolt if its almost gone to make sure there are no bad cuts, save what's all ready there. It's saved me aggravation at JoAnns loads of times.

At our LQS they are very fussy about cuts, and take pains to keep things straight. I've never had an off cut there ever. (Yes I do treasure them)

When I buy fabric at Joanns I ask for at least a 1/4 yard extra so that I get my full amount as most of the time the yardage wasn't wound straight on the bolt at the factory and then the employee cuts it badly to make matters worse. I make lots of charity quilts and the extra leftover part doesn't go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Just curious, why are you offended when fabric is torn? The tear is on the grain......
    I never minded until I noticed, with a gingham, that the lines were a little distorted. I wasn't why it was that way, but an older/wiser quilter showed me that when they tear the fabric, sometimes it stresses the threads that make up the fabric but we rarely catch it unless it's with an obviously, straight line fabric. Months later, I read the same thing in one of my quilting books. Now, I cut just to be safe. :|
    When the fabric is torn it is not always straight. I have learned that the hard way. even now after washing the fabric, trying to line up the selvages that it can be up to 3inches out and being a pensioner I cannot afford to buy extra all the time. Both of my LQS's always cut but they line up the fabric before putting them onto the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by JETTA
    Fabric.com always gives you inches extra not to mention good service.I've been ordering from them for years and have never been disappointed,check it out ladies.Jetta
    Ditto...I love them!!!

sometimes the pattern is off - sometimes the grain is off - sometimes they both are. this is what happens: the fabric goes through a printing machine. it's held in place on both edges (selvedges) by little teeth on a belt. the belt runs the printed fabric along at an even speed. HAH! that's where the problem is. if the belts on each side are going at even slightly different speeds, the grain is off and it pulls the printed pattern with it. the printed fabric is then treated to maintain the stiffness and color. it also maintains the grain, which is now off. so the pattern is locked in at that angle. since the pattern can't be yanked back where it belongs (because the fabric is wonky), they can't cut with it. it'll never work out no matter what you do. if they try to cut with the pattern, the store is the one that loses 3 - 4 inches on every customer. they can't stay in business that way. years ago, when quality meant something and manufacturing was done here, the grain was much truer. now that companies are sending manufacturing jobs out to non-union countries with little or no oversight, the quality has gone to pot.

it's the fault of the manufacturer. they are responsible for the printing of the fabric. write or email a letter of complaint to them and also complain to the fabric store, and be sure to tell them why. your LQS should NOT be doing business with that company. forget joann's. they'll do business with any company for the right price point.

sorry about the rant. i hope i explained the grain thing in a way that's understandable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast