Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it just nature's way?

Is it just nature's way?

It's strange , now that the oppressive heat of summer is over ( and this year was a dosey). I am having this irresistable urge to stock up my stash. I have a stash that would last me more than this winter , and several more ... but for some reason I have been " stockpiling" more than typical .... anyone else having this sensation/craving/urge?? Is it just natures way that we build up supplies before winter? Is it possible to "over harvest"???

Possibly an urge to "nest" expecting a rough winter this year...

With the economy failing left and right, it's probably instinctive.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    With the economy failing left and right, it's probably instinctive.
    I have the same feeling as you Neesie. Can't get rid of the feeling that something BIG is pending. My freezers are full, I have been canning like crazy and my stash is still growing.
    Sweet Caroline

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I think this a is an exciting topic, to learn so many are 'feeling' the sense of 'something big' coming. As a Christian I believe in what that something is; it's interesting to find that it's a common 'knowing' though it may be among those who may not share the same theology.

There has also been a lot of press lately (for lack of anything else interesting??) on the "Mayan Calendar issue" supposedly due in December that may have people subconsciously in mind of looming crisis. Of course, with that one we needn't be buying more fabric if we're not going to be around to sew it up, huh!! Wonder if hiding under a huge stack of quilts would help us?

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I agree with you Jan. If what I feel is right I will not be here to use what I am stocking up on but maybe someone will find my stock pile useful.

Power Poster
    Fabic is extra insulation, right? That's my story and I' m sticking to it.

If your nest explodes you know you have to much!!

Blog Entries
    Im stocking up today big sale at joanns. Archiologists in the future will only find fabric and little tykes stuff. That stuff ia indestructable. They'll all think we were 3 feet high and ate fabric.lol

My husband got a bee in his bonnet to start stockpiling everything. I survived the civil war in my country and we had nothing, and I really mean nothing - food was scarce, no electricity or gas and planting a garden was dangerous and difficult because I lived in a city. We survived, our clothes was made on treadle machine from myriad of fabrics including curtains. I do not stress any more about stocking up since you cannot stock up for eternity. That being said, I do not need an excuse to stock on fabrics and batting. There is always space for a few more blenders or a roll or two of batting. My treadle machine is ready. Bring it on!

my gardens are getting cleaned out, flowers put to rest so i am really getting the
    itch. have windows left to do then i am going to town ha ha

A similar urge to stock up is evident in my home. I think it's due to a natural intuitive sense some women have.

But, I stocked up on pork & beans, Ensure, bottled water, Imodium A-D, toilet paper, and batteries for the millennium scare. So what do I know? ~~

Might just be the seasonal change Lori. Just came back from a week away and found the joy of the Marden's stores in Maine. Thought I was being conservative but still came home with 16 yards of fabric. Spent most of today refolding fabric and organizing my stash, a task that should have been done long ago. The only thing I need is a personal fabric moratorium. I agree with the dosey of a summer - it was brutal. For certain, I've squirreled away far too much fabric, especially lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    It's strange , now that the oppressive heat of summer is over ( and this year was a dosey). I am having this irresistable urge to stock up my stash. I have a stash that would last me more than this winter , and several more ... but for some reason I have been " stockpiling" more than typical .... anyone else having this sensation/craving/urge?? Is it just natures way that we build up supplies before winter? Is it possible to "over harvest"???
    After going to the local LQS and seeing some fabrics at 14.99 a yard, I was thinking a sale is a good thing and better get some while you can before every sewing item is too expensive to buy. I don't know how young people can even afford to sew anymore with the price of things skyrocketing. So hit some sales and stock up.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    lol I agree
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Im stocking up today big sale at joanns. Archiologists in the future will only find fabric and little tykes stuff. That stuff ia indestructable. They'll all think we were 3 feet high and ate fabric.lol
    That is so funny, but you are probably right..lol
    Kitty

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I whole heartedly agree !!LOL

Brie, DH and I pulled the tomatoes, canned the tomatoes and froze the tomatoes (well she supervised!LOL and would bring us back an errant tomato that decided it didn't want to go in the box !LOL), so if the "whatever happens" we at least have fabric and tomatoes, oh wait peaches too !LOL and taco salsa.
    Last edited by Caswews; 09-25-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I have large pieces of fabrics in stacks of six high, three stacks per each shelf, on three shelves. Some smaller yardage on 3 other shelves, I moved some of the first two shelves and am always shocked as to how much I have. If I live to be 200 - 300 years old and can still make 12-18 quilts a year I may be able to use most of it. I am continuously making quilts and not making a dent in my fabrics. My oldest Daughter has lots and lots too, we are the only two that sew or quilt in our small family. I don't feel the need to buy any more.
    After our horrible hot summer I am looking forward to be able to cook soups,chili,chicken and fluffy dumplings and bake some. I always start graving pumpkin pies at this time of year.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Nesting instincts in us women I think. I went paper for my card crafting to stock piling fabric. Oh ya I have been sewing for years so I already have a stash of fabric from make clothes and Christmas stockings and a lot of other varies things. I don't know when I look for quilting fabric I just can't find what I am looking for in what I have. Lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    I just saw a segment on the Weather Channel last night that said they expected rough winter won't be. Evidently the front or trough they expected to develop as cooler actually will be warmer so most of the country will be above average except for the Washington and Oregon areas.

We'll see but I stock us as well in case we get 4 feet of snow and can't get to the store for material.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Might just be the seasonal change Lori. Just came back from a week away and found the joy of the Marden's stores in Maine. Thought I was being conservative but still came home with 16 yards of fabric. Spent most of today refolding fabric and organizing my stash, a task that should have been done long ago. The only thing I need is a personal fabric moratorium. I agree with the dosey of a summer - it was brutal. For certain, I've squirreled away far too much fabric, especially lately.
    I visited my first Marden's store last week and now know why my Maine quilting pals always raved about it. They have only 2 prices on their hundreds of bolts of great fabrics, 3.99 and 4.99! Rolls of FQ's are 5.99 and lots of other bargins. Big plus if your DH is with you, he can roam the rest of the store to pick up bargin items for himself or the house.

As for the need to stock up some are feeling, in my area the mornings are really cold and when that first begins happening I begin to think of stocking my small pantry, making soups, etc. Like the squirells I'm hiding my nuts in the pantry. May in Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    Yes, same here. But--- we don't have a need for staying inside here in South Louisiana. My nest is so full of stash, that I could hibernate for years and not use it all up, yet I still have the urge to add to it. As new fabrics and designs come out, they are so "neccessary" for my stash.
    One step at a time, always forward.

It seems we want to 'nest', not only food stuff, but fabric as well. We sure don't want to run out of fabric over the winter. LOL Its not like we can't order/buy more. As long as you are buying for a specific quilt project I see no problem.

I feel the same way, have been stocking up not only on material, thread, needles, and thimbles, but on food for the freezers and pantry. It feels like it's going to be a really hard winter here in lovely MO..and I'd like to be as stocked up as I can!

I've been saying this for years, but any more insulation in my guest/sewing room and there won't be anywhere to walk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast