Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room! >

Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room!

Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room!

Old 12-07-2022, 04:25 PM

Absolutely I understand using the small bedroom for myself and the large one for my sewing stuff. Because that is my set-up. I have room in the small bedroom for a bedside table, and dresser and a small TV stand next to it. I have to move my dog's bed to get into my closet. In my big bedroom I have a large lawyer's bookcase for fabric, the closet holds more fabric thread, embroidery designs and quilting books. I also have a twin bed (so the dog can look out the window) A couple of storage cabinets filled with more odds and ends for quilting as well as for knitting, embroidery, stamping, etc. I also have an electric piano and a table set up that I use to put my travel machine on which is what I am doing the piecing for the current mystery on. It has a good straight stitch and only the bells and whistles I need for piecing. My big machine lives in the sewing cabinet in the dining room. The actually dining table is pushed to one side. The long arm lives in the basement. the thread for the long arm lives in a doored bookcase by the fireplace in the living room. The batting and more fabric as well as yarn and hand embroidery supplies and already finished spare quilts live up on the second floor. Yep, whole house seems to have become a quilting studio. Good thing I don't have to share it with anyone, or they would have to living in the shed with the yard tools!

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-07-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-07-2022, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Makes perfect sense to me to use the smaller room to sleep in. Such a big job to pack everything up. Good luck in your new condo!
Old 12-07-2022, 06:24 PM

I get it. I have 2 rooms upstairs for my sewing with more closet space in them than the master bedroom has. lol
Old 12-07-2022, 07:28 PM

Watson, sounds like things are moving along for you and you sound in good spirits. Good to hear.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:11 AM

I totally get it as well. Where DH and I live, there was a large living room and a dining room. We made the dining room our living room and the over-sized living room became my quilting room. We also have a full dry basement where DH has his wood shop. So we both have nice spaces for our interests.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:37 AM

Oh, I totally get it. My sewing room is attached to our office space that was once a family room. Right now we have three desks, one side table for printers and a hutch and a couch in there plus a lrge TV. Husband has offered to trade rooms with my sewing room for his desks only. I'd still have the couch, my desk and side table and a TV to contend with once I moved all my sewing into the office space. I don't think I'd have that much more room. Plus the work involved in rehooking up cables for computers and TV's through the floor. It would be easier to build onto the house!!
Old 12-08-2022, 05:13 AM

I love reading everyone's setup in their house! My biggest bedroom upstairs is my sewing room. I occupy a smaller bedroom and the other bedroom is set up with tables for my sewing friends when they come over twice a month. The living room downstairs contains my quilting machine, my antique sewing machines and more fabric and supplies. The dining room is my TV room.
Have fun Watson setting up YOUR house YOUR way!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:10 AM

I have a 3-bedroom house and I use the smallest bedroom with a full size antique bed set for myself and leave the queen bed set for guest. It's only me and a full size bed fits me just right. My sewing room takes up most all the basement plus I have a full bathroom plus small kitchenette so I can stay down there all day if I so please.............which I normally do stay down there.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I understand.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Now that I think about it- it does seem a waste to have a master bedroom just for sleeping! I never gave that idea much thought.
Good luck with your move, Watson!