Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels)..... >

Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Default Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

I know there are some VERY talented people on the board. I love embroidery and I see a lot of lovely, very lovely, machine embroidered labels that are added to quilts. I am NOT being critical of anyone who uses or makes embroidered labels but here's my take on a label........

When we make a quilt, gift a quilt, etc. we put our heart into our work and I take the time to actually 'sign', by hand, my quilt. I then hand embroider over my signature. So many of us machine piece, machine quilt our quilts that, to me, adding my hand signed signature just adds that 'final touch'.

I am into genealogy, family history research. I am THRILLED whenever I find an actual signature of one of my ancestors. I have collected their signatures from public records, scanned them, framed them and hung them in my home office with a note as to how I am related to that person.

I have a few heirloom quilts from my ancestors but unfortunately none of them have a label saying who made them. The quilts 'history' is an oral history handed down to me. I would LOVE to have had my ancestors actual signature on the quilts.

This is just my opinion and I am sure other's have their own opinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 AM

Good point. Something to think about.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

The type of label doesn't interest me as long as the year and name of the maker is legible. I haven't found a permanent pen that will hold up to many washings. I have some quilt labels I have to resign after a few years. I know the ones that have been given away, the label is probably to faded to read. I have used all brands of permanent ink and they all fade. I would rather have an embroiderered name somewhere on the label.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 AM

I agree with BellaBoo - what matters to me is that someone down the line can see who made it, the date and any other information that we want passed along
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 AM

Yes, I forgot to say add the date(s) to the label also.

If you are a visual learner, here's a video of how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ_FREePYFI

The above example is using 4 threads of embroidery floss on a thick tablecloth fabric. For my quilts I use 2 threads on muslin which is much thinner than the example. I also use the second stitch used in the video and my signature is in script, not in block letters.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

for those that have the software to digitize their own embroidery, they can digitize their signature as well
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM

I cherish recipes and such written down by my mother & grandmother. What a good idea to sign a quilt. I'm sure I will do all kinds of labels, but I will certainly embroider my signature on some.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM

I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

Just me!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 AM

To all who have responded to my original post: Thanks for commenting and adding your thoughts as they are all good for their own reasons - no quilt police here.

As I said in my original post:
Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
This is just my opinion and I am sure other's have their own opinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM

I sign my name, with my machine, somewhere on all my quilts. I also have an embroidered label (made by sewnsewer2) that includes my name.