Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

Yep, next to hating binding, cutting is first!

Don't buy them. The only ones I bought were not cut right and I could have cut my own faster than making them right! They wern't cheap either, bought in a Quilt shop but they were precut and packaged. I did like having so many great colors together but there were a couple that I didn't care for. Guess thats the disadvantage of buying pre packaged.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OK, Please don't horse whip me. I am only half way through reading this thread. But I have to say that I purchase precuts I know that it's said not to prewash precuts but I do. I prewash everything. I put them in a bucket and use as hot water as I can. This may take a little more time but I don't care.If I love the whole line of something I will purchase charm packs, jelly rolls and sometimes yardage of that line. There are so many things that you can do with them. To each his own. I don't mind cutting since I use the June Tailor rulers. Sometimes the yaradge is more than I want to spend, this way I can get a little bit of what I love. I do have to say that I usually only purchase when they are on sale or I have a coupon. Hope I am still allowed on this board. Happy 4th everyone. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I buy them because they're so CUTE, they're FUN, save TIME, AND MOSTLY because I just like to have a sample of ALL the fabrics in a collection ... you won't find whole collections in many LQS. You get a big variety of prints for less $ than buying by the piece or FQs.
    I buy mostly Moda and a few other major makers. I rarely prewash anymore, after 25 yrs of quilting - I've never had a problem.
    My 20-something DD and niece have both fallen in love with quilting BECAUSE of precuts. Doubt they would have had the enthusiasm to quilt IF they had to cut everything out first. Now that they've been quilting for several yrs, they are cutting and quilting like pros ! They are out-producing me !
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    I buy them because they're there and I'm weak
    Guilty as charged. They're just so pretty. And you get a piece of all of a collection. And there are so many neat patterns for them. I actually kinda like cutting (I go in spurts... I'll cut a bunch of stuff up & then nothing for a while) but I'm also all for having it done by somebody else.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
    Yep, next to hating binding, cutting is first!
    Is it just me? Am I the only one who actually likes to put binding on & also to cut? I hate putting borders on... hate it, hate it, hate it. That's why I never do anything fancy.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
    I buy them because I can't resist the variety---and because I'm addicted to anything quilting related.
    Whew... & there I thought it was just me... LOL! I like to try new quilting things & pre-cuts fill that bill!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Is it just me? Am I the only one who actually likes to put binding on & also to cut? I hate putting borders on... hate it, hate it, hate it. That's why I never do anything fancy.
    I'm with you, Burch. Lots of my projects get set aside when I get to the borders. And I don't mind binding but I'm not a big fan of cutting.

I buy charm packs with specific ideas in mind. I'll buy jelly rolls if a quilt calls for it. I buy FQ because they make for a good stash builder.

Blog Entries
    I like precuts because you get some of the whole collection....they all go together well and complement one another.

I avoid buying them because they're not always straight. I have, on occasion, bought them for a certain color or pattern. When I buy them, it's definitely for the convenience!

I still cut all my own fabric...I do have a couple of honey buns, but they were gifts. I have bought a few charm packs with extra fabric to match.

Convenience and the assortment of fabrics that comes in them. I just bought a couple of coordinating French General jelly rolls because it will be easy for me to cut the lengths I need for the blocks.

I didn't feel like searching through my stash and cutting all those 2" strips.

I've only made one quilt with them so far (well, one quilt top, as it's not finished yet!) but I thought they were a lot of fun. We'll see how I feel after I wash my top, though. I'm a prewasher too, so I'm not sure how I feel about precuts yet. Not that it stopped me from ordering more of them, LOL. I really like the scrappy look in quilts, plus I wanted to do a few Project Linus quilts but don't have a lot of bright/cheery/kid-oriented fabric in my stash so I thought some bright precuts would be a good way to quickly make up some fun and cheerful quilts. And for myself I also ordered some Bali Pops - Beverly's has them on sale online for $26; 40 strips of different color-coordinated batiks with no labor - that looked like a pretty good deal to me! Hopefully I won't regret it after washing this top I finished (also with Bali Pops)...I'm not sure yet if I should "pre"wash it alone or after finishing the quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I like cutting too but I'm totally not with you on the binding thing. I suck at it so it's a frustrating and stressful step for me. Of course, I refuse to hand sew my binding so that's a big part of why I screw it up so much! It eventually turns out "okay" but I'm never proud of it. I am getting better at it, though!

And maybe it's nice that none of my friends are quilters; they don't have a critical enough eye to notice all the glaring problems when I'm showing off my latest project! LOL.

I don't buy them unless they are dirt cheap.
    Anna Quilts

Minden, Nevada (near Lake Tahoe, but in the valley)
    I am 'new' (again) to quilting and don't really know what to do with the strips yet. I also figure I have a lot of material sitting around here so I am trying to use some of it up for lap quilts, etc before I really dive into quilting.

I like to pre-wash my fabric so it concerns me about using the pre-cuts. On more than one occasion, I have had fabric that bled when washed. I shudder to think how I would feel after all that work to complete a quilt and then have one piece of fabric bled on another when washed.

I do enjoy the cutting and the binding. I machine piece, but hand quilt. In fact, I enjoy every step of the process.

One of these days, though, I will probably try one of the pre-cuts just for the fun of it.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by captlynhall View Post
    I like to pre-wash my fabric so it concerns me about using the pre-cuts. On more than one occasion, I have had fabric that bled when washed. I shudder to think how I would feel after all that work to complete a quilt and then have one piece of fabric bled on another when washed.

I do enjoy the cutting and the binding. I machine piece, but hand quilt. In fact, I enjoy every step of the process.

One of these days, though, I will probably try one of the pre-cuts just for the fun of it.
    I use Color Catchers when I wash quilts for the first time. I have never had a problem with colors bleeeding, not even with a quilt that was black, red and lots of white. I wash my quilts before I give them away so I can wash them with a Color Catcher first. Color Catchers work great!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I pre-wash my fabrics and , I have never bought a precut of any kind, because manly of the cost.I live on a fixed income
    and just can't afford them .
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Love jelly Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    I pre-wash my fabrics and , I have never bought a precut of any kind, because manly of the cost.I live on a fixed income
    and just can't afford them .
    When I first made a Jelly Roll Quilt, I did cut my own but found the quilt somewhat boring due to the lack of variety in the fabric coordinations. I bought a few from Connecting Threads and this quilt turned out cute. I then ordered some moda latte and plan to do the Trade Winds pattern. I also bought a cute ruffled purse pattern and that calls for 2.5 strips. Leftovers are great for binding and narrow and accent borders. I have been so busy in the garden and have folks coming and going but want to do a fast quilt. This just cuts (xcuxe the pun) out one step in the quilting process if you can find a cute pattern. I like some patterns in Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and nicky Lincott , Jelly Roll Quilt Magic by kimbery Enimo and Strip Happy by Donna Kinsey.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    Convenience and the assortment of fabrics that comes in them. I just bought a couple of coordinating French General jelly rolls because it will be easy for me to cut the lengths I need for the blocks.

I didn't feel like searching through my stash and cutting all those 2" strips.
    Plus French General is just flat-out GORGEOUS! I love it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I've only made one quilt with them so far (well, one quilt top, as it's not finished yet!) but I thought they were a lot of fun. We'll see how I feel after I wash my top, though. I'm a prewasher too, so I'm not sure how I feel about precuts yet. Not that it stopped me from ordering more of them, LOL. I really like the scrappy look in quilts, plus I wanted to do a few Project Linus quilts but don't have a lot of bright/cheery/kid-oriented fabric in my stash so I thought some bright precuts would be a good way to quickly make up some fun and cheerful quilts. And for myself I also ordered some Bali Pops - Beverly's has them on sale online for $26; 40 strips of different color-coordinated batiks with no labor - that looked like a pretty good deal to me! Hopefully I won't regret it after washing this top I finished (also with Bali Pops)...I'm not sure yet if I should "pre"wash it alone or after finishing the quilt!
    Argh! Why did you have to tell me about the sale on Bali Pops at Beverly's?!?! They are super yummy & then there's those magis words -- "sale"!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I love buying and using precuts. They are an affordable way for me to get a range of fabrics that go together that I would never be able to get in yardage. It also means I can jump right in with little prep/cutting time.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

When I bought precut strips it was because the pre-cut prints available were way moe appealing than the fabric available on the bolts.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast