Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping Machine Needles Straight

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    But if they are going in and out of the fabric, and the holes aren'T showing, and it isn't breaking fabric threads while doing so, then I can't see where the needle is too dull . So aren"t you just doing something because someone tells you it needs to be done? I"d like a really good reason, an example.
    Same fabric no problem, switching thread? now you may need to switch the needle too. Some of the threads I use for quilting are thicker than what I use for piecing. If you do thread painting/embellishments/applique, you could be using a multitude of different weight threads. So I have needles with larger openings, in different sizes to accomodate these threads.
    I also use a larger needle for quilting than I do for piecing... I found I was bending a size 80 when FMQ so a size 100 works better for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Here's a neat machine needle organizer for those interested.
    I think I should make one of those for myself. :D
    http://site.iwebcenters.com/bluefeat...tMainPhoto.jpg
    I have on of those, I like the tomato pin cushion with the sizes written on it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Check out this link from Superior Threads, talking about needles. Turns out you only need Topstitch needles - they handle everything. Dr. Bob know his thread and needles, his company depends on it. He'd make more $$ if he did like all the other companies and put out all the different kinds of needles, but he only recommends the topstitch for our home machines.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...s/description/
    I was going to try their topstitch needle but then at least 2 people on the janome 6500/6600 email group said that they didn't work in their 6600. They both said they were too long. Is Organ the same? they have a titanium topstitch needle too.
    http://www.discountembroiderysupply....nd-Titanium%29
    I would call Superior on Monday. They are AWESOME to work with, and extremely knowledgeable. If you need a different length needle for your specific machine, they will know it.

clem55-I'm like you, I change the needle when I break it or when I change to much heavier fabric. I even do my machine quilting with a 12.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Same here. I'm really bad following the rules with needles!!

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm chuckling because having a dull needle in my machine is what got me my Janome 6600P! I was FMQing on my little Janome Memory Craft 3000 with Fairfield Processing Cotton Classic in the sandwich. The needle was dull, but I was on such a roll, I didn't want to stop and the stitching was just fine. It just made a horrible thunk, thunk, thunk.

Better tell you that my machine sat in the windows of the sewing room. We had a terrible hail storm that broke out all the windows on the south side of the house. This machine was covered in water, broken glass, leaves, twigs, etc. I let it sit, untouched for a week and then tried it - worked just fine - still does.

Back to the story. DH came into the room and commented that he thought the machine was about to die. Actually he said, "crash" as he's a PhD in computer science. I agreed, "Yeah, it probably is." I wasn't about to say anything re. the dull needle as I wanted a new machine! ☺ I had seen the 6600P at the LQS and is was love at first sight. I had mentioned to DH that I was wanting a machine with more decorative stitches, and he had said I ought to get one. However, he was recovering from the amputation of his leg and open heart surgery - all in the same stay at the hosp. & I wanted him to say to buy it. I dragged him to LQS a couple of months later, plopped him in front of the store machine to look at it. In the meantime - I shopped! He finally told me to buy it, but that was after I had piled up about $300.00 worth of stuff and fabric!

I love my 6600P! (and DH, too, of course!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2