Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Keeping track of projects

  1. #26
    Super Member ScubaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Wa. State
    Posts
    2,181
    Depending on where I am in a project...
    I use the bags that sheets, comforters, etc...come in. Or I use small ziplocs and then put into a larger one with pattern, etc.
    If it is almost top done, then I hang the blocks on a pant/skirt hanger...as I go along, I add the border strips...finally all that is left is the completed quilt top that hangs until I get in sandwiched...
    Then it goes on a shelf (the WIP shelf) which I am trying to clear by the end of Sept.
    Kirsten

  2. #27
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,213
    We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
    I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
    Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
    I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D

  3. #28
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
    I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
    Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
    I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D
    Would you post a picture of this? (Please?)

  4. #29
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    What's a reasonable price for the pizza box?

  5. #30
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    I don't have much space, so I'm limited how I can store things. When I cut up pieces for a quilt, they go in a large ziploc bag with the pattern. I store them in one of the under the bed zippered storage bag. If necessary, I put the backing/binding/exra fabric in a separate bag. If I swap projects, I just move what I'm not working on to the under the bed collection. I don't usually have a problem picking up where I left off because I usually finish a set of blocks before storing it.

    Once I assemble the quilt top, I try to make room to hang it in the closet. It seems to get completed faster when I can see it daily. Other fabric not designated for a particular project is in various bins in the closet.

  6. #31
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    central Indiana
    Posts
    1,164
    Donna, You are not alone in being so disorganized! I am right there with you on that. In fact, I started a BOM at my LQS back in Jan. Actually, I have not even made any of the blocks,yet, due to other projects in the works...but I have dutifully picked them up each month. And, believe it, or not, I have labeled the bag with the name of the month and kept them together. The problem...at the first month we also purchased the 'completer' fabric we would need to use throughout the year. Well...i have no clue where I have 'stashed' it and no clue whatsoever what it even looks like!!! Duh!

    Everyone here is giving such great storage ideas. Getting my sewing room reorganized will be my Sept. project. Right now I am busy with getting both my college daughters ready to head back to their respective campuses and getting my kdg classroom ready for another school year. Would really rather tackle my sewing room...you are all so inspirational!!!

  7. #32
    community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hyndman, PA
    Posts
    1,207
    I have a fabric cupboard in my sewing room. I have one shelf for planned projects that are kept separate in large baggies.

    I then keep a running list on the side of the cupboard. (acutally a couple lists). They are :

    1. TO BE FINISHED (started but the top isn't complete. I have a few stray blocks and extras that I intend to make into wall hangings.)

    2. TO BE QUILTED (top is done and waiting for quilting)

    3. TO DO (fabrics bought sometimes with a plan for a pattern sometimes just a color scheme I have in mind i.e. Rose and Cream Quilt)

    When I acutally made my TO DO list I was amazed to see how much fabric/projects I already have on hand. I definitely don't need to buy any more until I get a few done. I have enough to keep me busy.

  8. #33
    Senior Member dojo36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    884
    Pam B, thank goodness there's somebody else kinda like me. and ya know what, my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and she's the most organized person i've ever seen. she lives 800 miles away from me but when she comes to visit, she starts organizing "things". there's a place for everything and everything is in its place. then she goes through my closets - clothes & shoes - my quilts especially and puts them all in a pile then has me come look to see if there's anything in the pile that i don't want to part with - usually i just say yeah that's all ok. and by the way, everybody, she wants me to make her a quilt with pockets to put her feet in when she covers up, can anybody think of a way to do this, she says her feet are always coming uncovered.

  9. #34
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    Pam B, thank goodness there's somebody else kinda like me. and ya know what, my daughter is a kindergarten teacher and she's the most organized person i've ever seen. she lives 800 miles away from me but when she comes to visit, she starts organizing "things". there's a place for everything and everything is in its place. then she goes through my closets - clothes & shoes - my quilts especially and puts them all in a pile then has me come look to see if there's anything in the pile that i don't want to part with - usually i just say yeah that's all ok. and by the way, everybody, she wants me to make her a quilt with pockets to put her feet in when she covers up, can anybody think of a way to do this, she says her feet are always coming uncovered.
    You could make her one of those "quillow" quilts -- you put a pocket at the end and then you can fold up the quilt and stick in the pocket to make a pillow when not in use. (As a "neat freak", she would probably like this.) The pocket is also good to stick your feet in :wink:

  10. #35
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I agree with you Klue about sharing your studio, no way I'd share my sewing room with DH. I'm selfish with my alone time and space. I stopped by Pizza Hut and they wanted $2 for new pizza box. Larry's Pizza wanted $2 too. Mazio's gave me two boxes, the young teen working the register never heard of anyone asking for empty boxes and I bet the manager tells her to charge next time. For the price of pizza boxes I'll just buy the WalMart boxes.

  11. #36
    Senior Member dojo36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    884
    thanks sewjoyce, i'll have to try one of those - i've never made one but i've heard about them.

  12. #37
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    thanks sewjoyce, i'll have to try one of those - i've never made one but i've heard about them.
    This site seems to be pretty good one for instructions:

    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3721/quillow.htm


  13. #38
    Senior Member dojo36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    884
    thanks i saved the link - i'll sure have to try it sometime.

  14. #39
    Senior Member AtHomeSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW USA
    Posts
    896
    I have a cutting table that has 12 large drawers. Some of the drawers are for everyday tools, thread, etc, and the remainder house individual projects. It's been a life saver, I had to learn the hard way to cut my bindings and border first and then place them with the project.

    I also have closets in my sewing room. So sometimes I use VERY large zip lock bags, put contents of in, and then hang them by a pants hanger in the closet. Easy to see, and doesn't take up much space.



    Inside One Drawer
    Name:  Attachment-43901.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  57.9 KB

    Cutting Table with Lots of Storage
    Name:  Attachment-43902.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  17.5 KB

  15. #40
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,213
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    We buy sodas for DH in these boxes that are about 12" x 16" x 2".
    I take two of them and cut one long side off, each, and slide them together and duct tape. I end up with about 16" x 20" x2".
    Then I put a lot of tape on, to make it strong.
    I have about 8 of them right now, and I put one project in each, and stack them, kind of turning them a bit, so the corners are offset. I love the organisation of them, and looking at all the fabrics, when I move them. :D
    Would you post a picture of this? (Please?)
    I would be more than happy to... :mrgreen: get to show off all those yummy fabrics, in my WIP's...but I have to wait for DD or somebody that help me figure out, once I download a pic, then come to post it, why it doesn't show up in my list, when I hit browse? I hit a snag the other night, and tried again, next day...nada. She doesn't get much time off, so we shall see, ok? :D

  16. #41
    rosalia856's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rosalia856
    Posts
    298
    I have serval methods of storing projects that I have going on at the same time. One method is to take small rectangle baskets and I place all the material and pattern in the basket. Another method I use ,especially if I am doing one that has squares. I buy clear plastic container that is made for a 12x12 inches that holds scrapbooking papers. I find that I can place my squares and other material in one. That why you can not only see what you have but you can stack them one on another.I also place my pattern with them too.

  17. #42
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    A number of people here also use pizza boxes...you can get them reasonably priced from most pizza establishments :wink:
    this is my method of choice....they fit in the tiniest places :wink:

  18. #43

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    870
    I have a ping pong table in my sewing room, and I have a project at each end.

  19. #44
    Senior Member Overlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Williams Lake, British Columbia
    Posts
    482
    I have a shelving unit that I use. Bottom is new projects or patterns with material in ziplocs or plastic totes. Next shelf up is projects that have been cut but not started. Next shelf is works in progress and the top is Flimsies that need quilted. I love the clear plastic totes and large gallon size ziplocs. You can label them and have everything in one container.

  20. #45
    Senior Member Bluphrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Porter, TX
    Posts
    530
    I purchase redwell folders. They come in letter and legal size, expand to about 5", and fit great on a shelf. I put all the fabric and the pattern in it, so the fabric doesn't accidentally get used in another project. I can work on something, place all the pieces, blocks, fabric & pattern back in the folder and put it on the shelf. If I purchase a kit, I put it in a folder, even though it's already in a package. That way, if I start it, I have somewhere to put all the pieces. And if I purchase the backing and binding fabrics, I can keep them with the rest of the kit.

    The redwell folders also make great magazine holders. I have one for each of the mags I subscribe to.

  21. #46
    Senior Member dizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    853
    we eat catfish alot an i buy two boxes a month from walmart an i save them boxes an have covered them with sticky back paper an i put quilts in them an shoe boxes if they are the right size

  22. #47
    Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    35
    I use clear shoe box size storage containers from the dollar store for each project. After 10 years of quilting I had lost track of all of my UFOs, so I bought the containers, cleaned up my sewing room & made a spread sheet in order of priority. (I had 37 UFOs at that point.) I was able to finish 17 quilts in one year, so I've kept it up. I don't let myself buy any fabric for a new project until I finish two on my list. It's like a part time job, but it's much more fun than my real job!

  23. #48
    MelissaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaK
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i go to my local pizza place and ask them to give me some new pizza boxes.

    i get the largest pizza box they have and i can stack them very nicely in my room.
    If I did that, I think my husband would disown me since we share the room!
    my DH would never share a studio with me - i'd talk his ear off until he moved out so i could have the room all to my self.

    we each have our own studio in the house.
    I wish we did, but we built a room in the basement. We just don't have the space! Maybe when the kids move out in 15 - 20 years! It isn't so bad, he sits on his computer and plays WOW.

  24. #49
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam B
    Donna, You are not alone in being so disorganized! I am right there with you on that. In fact, I started a BOM at my LQS back in Jan. Actually, I have not even made any of the blocks,yet, due to other projects in the works...but I have dutifully picked them up each month. And, believe it, or not, I have labeled the bag with the name of the month and kept them together. The problem...at the first month we also purchased the 'completer' fabric we would need to use throughout the year. Well...i have no clue where I have 'stashed' it and no clue whatsoever what it even looks like!!! Duh!

    Everyone here is giving such great storage ideas. Getting my sewing room reorganized will be my Sept. project. Right now I am busy with getting both my college daughters ready to head back to their respective campuses and getting my kdg classroom ready for another school year. Would really rather tackle my sewing room...you are all so inspirational!!!
    Oh, Pam, you bring back memories of my teaching days. And to think, I thought my sewing room was bad when I was teaching. It is totally worse now that I am retired. I have started so many projects and have finished very few. I keep buying more fabrics and accumulating more ideas for projects. Everything is piled up in stacks, in boxes, in bags, on shelves, in closets, in drawers, in plastic bins -- all over the place. It is spilling out into our bedroom. I also have another "bedroom" filled with cake decorating supplies. Lately I have learned that it is impossible to go in and make a big sweep and it will be clean and will stay organized. Impossible -- for me anyhow. I have learned from FlyLady that it has to be done in baby steps. I'm actually getting the hang of some of it. There may be hope. But I say to you, it isn't easy taking care of the classroom and the home -- especially if you're a "project or hobby girl." Now that I'm retired, I wonder how I ever had time to teach. :lol:

  25. #50
    Super Member ginnie6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,314
    ziploc bags are working for me. Right now I have going on....10yo dd's quilt...all cut out and ready to sew rows together (she's doing it all herself!), 12yo dd's quilt mostly cut out, some blocks I'm doing for an exchange, a sunbonnet sue for a Christmas present, ready for the back and quilting, more sunbonnet sue squares waiting to be done, and a lapquilt I made in the class I took that needs to be quilted. And to think I only started quilting this year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.