Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin" >

Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin"

Is "Kona" cotton a brand name or is it generic like "muslin"

Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Joanns has plenty of their Kona. They discontinued it several years ago but now see they have it back. Not a good quality
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM

I've bought "supposedly" Kona cotton in the past from JoAnn's and been highly disappointed when I got it home and started sewing. Never could find "Kaufman" anywhere on/in/about it....so apparently there was an error in ?packaging? ?placement within the store? whatever! Now, when I buy Kona, I make sure that I see that word somewhere close!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123 View Post
I think sometimes our preconceptions affect how we "see" things. If someone tells me , say, Walmarts fabrics are no good" (not that I think that, I buy there all the time) then the next time I go there, I'm going to be looking at it with a critical eye and if I have any doubts they're going to be pushed to the negative side.

I'd loooove to see a totally blind test to see if people really can tell a difference, that would be very telling, I think.
Me too - I bought something called Kona from LQS and it had a solid, thick but soft hand-feel and a medium thread per inch look, and a really intense dye job resulting in a brilliant blue, but I found it raveled every time I waved a rotary cutter at it.

I was told that the quality of the Greige goods WAS the same as the textile quality and the screen print or dye was a separate quality standard. I have studied textiles back in the day but there are so amy varieties of cotton with so many special treatments...I'm sure many more than I ever heard of!H

ow about a wine-tasting party for cottons?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM

I bought some at my lqs to finish a quilt started with some bought from jas. looks and feels the same to me...
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Joanns has plenty of their Kona. They discontinued it several years ago but now see they have it back. Not a good quality
My Joann's in S. Cal does not carry their Kona or anyone else's either.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
The muslin I purchased was higher end , high thread count, minimal shrinkage, and ironed just as nice as any LQS fabric.
And.....what muslin did you buy????
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
My Jo-anns doesn't stock Kona any more.... But Hobby Lobby does! Much better feel than what the stuff at Jo-anns offers now...
I only buy the Kaufman Kona from Hobby Lobby - Great feel and Great sewing results. I've specifically have use the black, white, snow, and cardinal red. No problems at all
Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM

I have been called a "Fabric Snob" because I won't use anything but quality fabrics. I look at it this way, if I'm going to put this much work in a quilt that I make, I want it to last for many years to come. While my great great grandchildren are cuddling under one of my quilts, those made from lesser quality fabrics have already dry rotted away! I believe in QUALITY not quanity when it comes to quilts.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm going to buy 1/4 yd. of several bolts of "Kona" at my Joann and take Robert Kaufman up on their testing offer. At the same time I'm going to take a photo of the end of the bolt showing the Kona with the registered trademark.
Then at least I'll have a definitive answer for my Joann store.

Anyone else care to join me?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I'm going to buy 1/4 yd. of several bolts of "Kona" at my Joann and take Robert Kaufman up on their testing offer. At the same time I'm going to take a photo of the end of the bolt showing the Kona with the registered trademark.
Then at least I'll have a definitive answer for my Joann store.

Anyone else care to join me?
Just make sure the Kaufman name is on the bolt end. The word Kona even with the ® mark, does not guarantee it's Kona® Cotton Solids from Kaufman. The word Kona is part of a great many registered names (357 last time I looked), all of which have the ®.