Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: LA owners don't say much about loading a quilt on the frame.

When I first started on my LA it took me a lot longer to load a quilt, now about 45 mins. to an hour. If some one was working with you, she was taking her time so that you understood all the steps to loading.
    Brenda in cold MN/WI

Thinking on this advice.... :) :) :) The problem may be that you're not playing some really rocking music!!!!!! I hope DH NEVER takes a video of me loading my machine. I have good ole fifties rock and roll going and my butt starts boogying....yeah, time really flies!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    It takes me less, 20 to 30 minutes. I float the top and batting, just lay them on the backing after the backing is loaded and rolled on the frame poles/leaders. I use a few pins to keep the top and batting straight on the backing, then sew around the edges to attach it. I do have to take a minute to straighten the top and batting with each advance of the quilt. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Same here 30 to 40 min at the most. Even if it takes 2hr to load the quilt for quilting just think how long it took you to get it to that point :roll: :wink:

Mercy, that must have been a HUGE quilt! It takes me 20-45 minutes to pin on a quilt. If you use Red Snappers it is even faster. And I have only been quilting for a little over 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I went to a LA's home for hands on instruction to load and quilt a quilt. It took almost two hours to get the quilt, batting and backing loaded on the machine. The quilter has been doing this for years and does good LA quilting but to go through all that for each quilt? I was bored and tired of it before I got to the stitching part. :? After going through that I am re thinking the OH I want one.
    I found that out about loading the quilt, etc and decided I really dislike the idea and have decided to not purchase one. My new Viking is doing the job just fine for what I need.

Blog Entries
    I also float the batting and top. I use the long basting stitch and go from center out on the top and then down the sides as far as possible. It makes loading the quilt much faster. I still pin my backing but am considering purchasing the Red Snappers(I think that is what it is called). Saw a video on it and it is very fast and easier on the old hands, lol.

Wow, does it really take that long to load a quilt?? I can load a queen one in less than 10 minutes. Then I can get to the fun part. Quilting fun designs. I use my Leadergrips. Check out the website www.leadergrips.com on the u-tube there is a demo for the gammill machines and another one by Man quilter for the AOQS machines.
    Ginnie

I am new to LA (2 months) and I was surprised how long it took to load the frame but I think I'm getting quicker. I get my back loaded and pinned to the takeup leader and then float the batting and top and pin it to the takeup. I have leaders for all the rails (except of course the batting rail) and am wondering if it would be quicker to put the leaders on to the backing and top without them being on the rails. I sit down when I put the backing and top on their respective rails so it is not too bad on my back, otherwise I'd be mighty sore. I hated to pin my quilts because I always used the table, never the floor because we have pets, and invariably I would get one section done and find I had to adjust another. With the LA that simple doesn't happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Thinking on this advice.... :) :) :) The problem may be that you're not playing some really rocking music!!!!!! I hope DH NEVER takes a video of me loading my machine. I have good ole fifties rock and roll going and my butt starts boogying....yeah, time really flies!!!! LOL
    Dee, you are a nut, for sure! Should I video when DH and I come down your way through town???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Currently, I don't have a long arm but I have found this thread to be very imformative. I am planning to go to a somewhat LQS that rents their Gammill and give it a try. Everyone's comparative input concerning all that you have to do to prepare a quilt to do on your DSM vs. LA seems logical to me. If you care, it takes time. Thanks Bella for posing the question and thanks everyone for your help. :-D

Power Poster
    Wow.

It takes me less, 20 to 30 minutes. I float the top and batting, just lay them on the backing after the backing is loaded and rolled on the frame poles/leaders. I use a few pins to keep the top and batting straight on the backing, then sew around the edges to attach it. I do have to take a minute to straighten the top and batting with each advance of the quilt. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    i also pin the backing to the leaders (20 minutes), lay down the batting and the top and machine baste straight across (5-10 minutes) and float the batting and top without rolling them.
    i don't even stitch the sides. i use a dowel and clamp technique that works for me and i advance that as i go along with the normal clamping. 2 hours to load the frame sounds excessive.

Blog Entries
    My first quilt took me about an hour and a half to load. It's been getting faster with each quilt.
    Then I thought I'd try the zippered leaders, ordered them, they're sitting in the corner.
    So, I ordered the Red Snappers. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!!
    Now I just snap the quilt on and I'm ready to go in 10-15 minutes. Yeah!

I tried pinning, I tried sewing to the leaders with my domestic machine. Then I got the red snappers! I have a couple of sets of leaders, put rod pockets on them, now I can snap backing to leaders on or off machine. The leaders have velcro on one edge, rod pocket on the other. Makes it possible to switch out quilts (nice when I decide I need to put on a practice quilt to perfect a technique). Red snappers are great! I have adapted some for side tension, too. I float top and backing so it doesnt take more than a minute or 2 to swap out a quilt.

Blog Entries
    On my Singer Short(mid)Arm machine , I would say it takes between
    30-45 min. depending on size of project. (That doesn't include pressing
    the quilt top, often piecing customer's backing fabric, and cutting required
    length of batting) And, no, I don't have any of the gadgets
    to make things easier.
    I never "float" batting and backing, as I prefer things to be
    in absolute alignment and taut as I quilt.

Blog Entries
    I know if I had felt the thrill for it, the time wouldn't have mattered at all. My passion for wanting a LA machine has fizzled out a whole lot and I'm glad it wasn't after I bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i also pin the backing to the leaders (20 minutes), lay down the batting and the top and machine baste straight across (5-10 minutes) and float the batting and top without rolling them.
    i don't even stitch the sides. i use a dowel and clamp technique that works for me and i advance that as i go along with the normal clamping. 2 hours to load the frame sounds excessive.
    I just loaded one. Took me 17 minutes and I'm ready to quilt. I didn't hurry, just pinned the backing to the leaders, rolled the backing and arranged the batting and top.

Ok those Red snappers look awesome! I may need to look at those.. I have the tendancy to get my shirts caught on the pins at the bottom of the quilts. I'm leaning over to check my stitches most of the time that I do that... but those look like they would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    I just loaded one. Took me 17 minutes and I'm ready to quilt. I didn't hurry, just pinned the backing to the leaders, rolled the backing and arranged the batting and top.
    mary, do you machine baste cross the top? ooops! i think you said yes.

Blog Entries
    what are Pinmoors?

Blog Entries
    What are Red Snappers and where do you get them?

quiltsonthecorner.com carries the red snappers developed by Renae Haddadin. They secure your quilt back (and/or top) to the leaders on a quilting frame without pins. They are fantastic and much cheaper than similar products. Pinmoors are like mini-marshmallows made of foam. They cover the point on a straight pin and keep it from slipping out of the fabric or poking you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. I have just purchased a quilting frame and am setting it up. I need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I know if I had felt the thrill for it, the time wouldn't have mattered at all. My passion for wanting a LA machine has fizzled out a whole lot and I'm glad it wasn't after I bought one.
    Dear Bella, I am sorry you feel this way. At first when I began reading this post I too felt a little discouraged and slowly I began to get more excited. Then, I visited a shop about 45 minutes from my home who rents out their Gammill for $20 an hour. The owner told me that the first lesson is 2 hours for $20 and then $20 an hour after that. She also said they are on hand to help with anything I might need help with until the quilt is finished.

I am now more excited about the advantages of renting. The store A.) owns/pays for the cost of the machine B.) pays for the maintanence and helps you when you need help. ALSO, since my quilt is loaded on their machine I will finish it and not let the project linger since it costing me per hour to rent. I believe, and may find I am wrong later, that it will cost me much less in the long run and help me better decide if I would ever want the expensive on owning my own.

Once I recover from my surgery I plan to take the lap quilt top I have finished for my Dad and take a run at this long arming. I will have to let you know how it goes. :-D :-D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3