Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room

Laminate vs. Vinyl In My New Sewing Room

In our new (to us) house I will have a 350 sq. ft. sewing studio, which currently has carpet in it. I want to replace the carpet but can't decide whether to go with a laminate or vinyl. It is not a basement room so moisture won't be a problem. I really like a vinyl I found, with a thick cushion backing, which would make it easier to walk and stand on because it's being laid on a cement foundation, but I'm concerned about the durability.

Please share your experiences with laminate and vinyl flooring.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    In our new (to us) house I will have a 350 sq. ft. sewing studio, which currently has carpet in it. I want to replace the carpet but can't decide whether to go with a laminate or vinyl. It is not a basement room so moisture won't be a problem. I really like a vinyl I found, with a thick cushion backing, which would make it easier to walk and stand on because it's being laid on a cement foundation, but I'm concerned about the durability.

Please share your experiences with laminate and vinyl flooring.
    How much rough treatment is the floor going to get--------will you be shoving tables around or moving chairs a lot. Laminate can chip and crack, but vinyl can get cut.

If durability is the issue, chose laminate.
    If warmth and comfort is a big issue, maybe the vinyl is the best choice
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Ask your flooring guy!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I have vinyl in my house and everything you set on it makes a mark. I was advised NOT to use a roll around chair on it but I am in my sewing room and you can see where I roll around.
    TwandasMom

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    You might think about when or if you are going to sell the house, what would look better in a room - vinyl might look different in a room compared to laminate. I don't remember ever seeing vinyl in a room besides a kitchen, bathroom or laundry room. I could be wrong. But, you can always change it if you decide to sell.

I'm redoing our house in laminate, including my sewing room. I never thought of laminate in my sewing room. Now you've given me something to think about.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.
    TwandasMom

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    actually you should be ok with either one as long as they are of good quality. Will depend on how much traffic the room will get. Also use the Swiffer or dust mop often. What damages the flooring is when dirt gets ground in often and the floor is not maintained. using a damp/near dry mop helps pick up the dirt. The micro-fiber mops are great.

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    The vinyl in my house (replaced all the carpet) looks just like hardwood flooring. It even feels like wood boards. Many of my friends are surprised when I tell them it's vinyl instead of laminate or hardwood.
    We just had Congoleum DuraPlank II - which is marketed as a luxury Vinyl Plank - put down in family room, halls, one bath room. It too looks like hardwood plank, but MUCH more durable and you don't have to refinish it AND it is water resistant, has a ScotchGard protector that eliminates the need for chemical cleaners or polishes - simply wipe or damp mop with water to clean. It has a warranty that covers for a lifelong period that it will not wear out, stain, fade & / or be free of manufacturing defects. I know I sound like a commercial for them. But it was the PERFECT fit for our house, dogs, cats, and lifestyle. Google Congoleum DuraPlank II - and give it a look! Yes, they recommend you don't run wheeled furniture over it - but I didn't before.
    I say talk to your flooring shops - read, research - and figure out your budget for your flooring! Then sit back and enjoy it!

We have laminate and tile in our house. When we bought it they had just put new carpet in the 3 bedrooms. As soon as we got settled in and the cash flow, we took the carpet out and put laminate like what was in the other rooms and hallway. Best money ever spent! We have 3 dogs now, but used to have 5, all indoors. Whew, the laminate, is soooo much easier to keep clean. I have it in both of our hobby rooms, doesn't bother my feet or legs when I use my Mid-arm on the frame or if I am standing alot cutting. Doesn't peel up like some vinyl I've had in the past.
    One more good thing is our fur-babies claws don't make scratches on the laminate. It also comes with a really long and great warranty. It is very durable. Good Luck!
    MY vote is for the laminate!
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    I have an office chair I like to wheel around in, so my first concern would be what would best stand up to that kind of use and abuse. My second priority would be what's most comfortable to stand on, but I can also lay down those foam mats in front of my cutting board and longarm.

We put the vinyl plank in our son's room. He is in a wheelchair,and requires a toilet/shower chair. It has held up really well -- handles wheels, water from shower chair, and wheelchair and hospital bed rolling with no problems. It has been in for 5 years (on cement base) and still looks like new. And the good thing about it -- if a piece should be "injured" you can use a blow dryer to heat up the plank that has the problem, lift it off and put down another. We have not had to do that, but when we first bought it that was a positive for us. I'd love to have it in my sewing room!

If the only choices are vinyl or laminate, I would choose vinyl. Laminate, if damaged, cannot be sanded down and refinished like hardwood can. My personal choice would be hardwood.
    Sue

We replaced the floors in our bedrooms, kitchen, and dining room in 2012. After a few consultations at different flooring centers, the concensus was that vinyl will outlast the laminates so we went with nice cushioned vinyls and love them. The kitchen/dining room look like tile and the bedrooms look like wood. I have an office chair on wheels that goes from my computer to the sewing machine and no permanent markings on the floor. Because of the cushion you can see indentations when something is moved but it goes away. Hope this helps.
    By the way.....mine is Congoleum
    Last edited by mamaw; 08-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
    We have laminate and tile in our house. When we bought it they had just put new carpet in the 3 bedrooms. As soon as we got settled in and the cash flow, we took the carpet out and put laminate like what was in the other rooms and hallway. Best money ever spent! We have 3 dogs now, but used to have 5, all indoors. Whew, the laminate, is soooo much easier to keep clean. I have it in both of our hobby rooms, doesn't bother my feet or legs when I use my Mid-arm on the frame or if I am standing alot cutting. Doesn't peel up like some vinyl I've had in the past.
    One more good thing is our fur-babies claws don't make scratches on the laminate. It also comes with a really long and great warranty. It is very durable. Good Luck!
    MY vote is for the laminate!
    True about the claw marks, but it's funnier than all get out to watch them take off in a hurry. Looks just like the road runner taking off--------spinning legs and all.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I have a really high quality vinyl flooring in my sewing room, kitchen, laundry and bath. I love it!! It looks like wood, does not dent, or scratch easily and I have never seen a mark from the 3 roller chairs that are located in the sewing room. I have even had a house appraiser knock on it and write "wood floors" on the appraisal that he was doing. It is from Amtico, and we have the commercial grade.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

We have quite a bit of laminate & I hate it. Will be replacing it soon. I'd suggest you go with the vinyl as the laminate is difficult to keep clean & looses its pretty shine very quickly. After the fact we were told that only clear water should be used to clean laminate.
    SewQuiltsSally

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had that for about 15 years in my dining room and kitchen. It was awesome. No one ever realized it wasn't wood until I told them.

Some laminate can be ruined just be spills that are not cleaned up properly or by overly wet mopping. If you go with laminate, make sure you understand the care instructions. I have a friend who made a very expensive mistake with it.

I have laminate in several rooms in our home...some for about 15 years and it still looks great. The oldest is in our entry and kitchen...so it gets a ton of traffic. There is an underlayment (sp?) that helps with sound and hardness...so they say.

Hardwood is great if it is "in budget" but tile or industrial strength vinyl would be my choice. For some years my sister lived with painted concrete while she saved for floorcoverings and that stood up to wear surprisingly well. Some laminate wears well, but a lot of the cheaper ones do lift and scratch easily. Do lots of research and good luck.

Blog Entries
    I have that same thing. Cleaning is so easy! We had hardwood in our previous home...both are fine by me, but chose the vinyl for retirement living. I've rolled my sewing chair around for three years and nothing shows except all the dust bunnies! :-)
    Last edited by coopah; 08-15-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I have white ceramic tile in my sewing room. The white makes the room feel fresh and clean.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    Got fabric?

I have vinyl tiles in my kitchen - been there for twenty-five years. The swiffer gets used at least three times a week, but I only have to actually mop and wax(remember that? I use mop and glow) about once a year. Sure there are some scratches on it from moving the fridge, but it has held up really well. I am going to get really tired of it before it wears out.

Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    We just had Congoleum DuraPlank II - which is marketed as a luxury Vinyl Plank - put down in family room, halls, one bath room. It too looks like hardwood plank, but MUCH more durable and you don't have to refinish it AND it is water resistant, has a ScotchGard protector that eliminates the need for chemical cleaners or polishes - simply wipe or damp mop with water to clean. It has a warranty that covers for a lifelong period that it will not wear out, stain, fade & / or be free of manufacturing defects. I know I sound like a commercial for them. But it was the PERFECT fit for our house, dogs, cats, and lifestyle. Google Congoleum DuraPlank II - and give it a look! Yes, they recommend you don't run wheeled furniture over it - but I didn't before.
    I say talk to your flooring shops - read, research - and figure out your budget for your flooring! Then sit back and enjoy it!
    We put a similar product - Allure - in our dining room. Lifetime warranty; waterproof; looks like distressed walnut planks. I LOVE it. Still need to get an area rug for sound deadening. In my sewing room I have hardwood (cuz that part of the house is about 250 yrs old) and an area rug. I would definitely go with the vinyl plank - very natural looking. In fact, when we're ready to replace the carpet in other parts of the house, it's what I'll be going with.

Over here, at least, laminate has developed to stage that some premium brands are more expensive than hard wood and can carry a 25 year guarantee. I replaced a laminate floor in my hall which had a brand (cheap) that I referred to as 'clackety-clack' as that was the sound it made when you walked on it, with another laminate called Amtico. I loved the fact that I could add a border and had 3x Mariner's Compasses inlaid.

I once had cushion floor vinyl in a kitchen and dropped a knife. The knife remained upright making a hole in the vinyl - something to bear in mind if you're going to drop those pointy seam rippers and scissors...........
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I have laminate in my kitchen - the laminate that looks like tile. Seems durable, bar stools sliding across it all the time at the counter, and I see no wear. Just keep any standing water away from it. I use my steamer to clean it. I found that there are different levels of plastic sheeting that goes underneath it - buy the thicker stuff, it makes it easier to stand and walk on. I have had both the inexpensive and the more costly, and you can definitely feel the difference under foot!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast