Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lap Quilt for My Brother - TOO LATE!!

Lap Quilt for My Brother - TOO LATE!!

I was in the hospital for 8 days in the beginning of November for a severe infection and high temperature. Before I was able to go home, my younger brother, Carson, was hospitalized and had two major surgeries. He was slowly improving so once I was home, I decided to make him a large lap quilt for him to use during recovery. Sadly, I did not finish the quilt before he took a turn for the worse and passed away on November 30th. I just couldn't work in it anymore. After thinking about it, I decided to finish the quilt for my sister, Dianne, my only remaining sibling out of 8 children. 15 years ago, Dianne, who is now in her mid 60's, was given custody of her two grandsons who were under 3 years old. The youngest one, Darien, is autistic and it has been a rough road for her. Darien was devoted to my brother and took his passing very hard, so Dianne wanted to share it with Darien. On the label I told Darien that each time he wrapped up in the quilt it would be a great big hug from Uncle Carson, Nana and Aunt Donna. This is what I have done with the quilt. Thanks for listening and looking.

Name:  Label with quilt.jpg
Views: 5860
Size:  118.6 KB Name:  Lap Quilt - Carson 3.jpg
Views: 5871
Size:  111.0 KB Name:  Large Lap Quilt Carson 1.jpg
Views: 5870
Size:  116.4 KB
    The color is a little off in this one.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, God Bless

So sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. How wonderful you have someone to give this beautiful quilt to who will love it!!!

Blog Entries
    That is lovely. What a great feeling for Darien and I know he must love it! I feel your pain. I lost my sister in Jan. and my brother a few years ago. Mike was just 55 and Dian was only 60. I am an only "child" again at 70! Not much fun now it is just my 94 yr old mother and me.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    A wonderful quilt made with loving hands. Your the best sister and aunt♥

Sorry to hear about your illness and your brother passing. What a wonderful quilt for your sister and Darien. They will think of Carson and remember the fun times with him everytime they wrap themselves in the quilt. Giving them the quilt is a wonderful gift all about family and the love you all have for each other.

Blog Entries
    What a lovely quilt I'm sure it was tough to work on with all the memories I pray it will give your nephew much comfort and support

What a loving thing for you to do for Darian he will treasure this quilt for years to come.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

A touching story and a beautiful quilt

The quilt is beautiful. I am so sorry for all you have been through. May God bless you.

Your quilt is beautiful and I am sorry for the loss of your brother so recently (and your other siblings as well). I think the sentiment on the label is such a thoughtful idea. Sure to be appreciated.

Your story brought tears to my eyes. How sad and wonderful...
    Loretta Sewhappytoquilt

Beautiful. What a wonderful gift.
    Ruth Krug

Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss.

Power Poster
    Your quilt is a lovely tribute to your brother and a wonderful gift to ease your sister's suffering. I am sorry to hear of your loss and hopefully the New Year will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    That is lovely. What a great feeling for Darien and I know he must love it! I feel your pain. I lost my sister in Jan. and my brother a few years ago. Mike was just 55 and Dian was only 60. I am an only "child" again at 70! Not much fun now it is just my 94 yr old mother and me.
    I can feel your pain. In 2011 I had a bad accident in February on the ice, lost my oldest sister March 1, went into the hospital March 11, went into the hospital again in November and lost my younger brother 11/30. He was only 66. This was almost as bad as when we lost both of our parents in 1986 and buried them just 16 days apart. They were only 68. But GOD always makes a way and finishing this quilt was a form of healing for me. Thanks for all the kind words.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I'm sure the quilt will be a comfort to your sister and her grandsons.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. What a wonderful reason to complete the quilt. Darien is blessed to be able to wrap up in his uncle's love thanks to you. God Bless you and your family.
    If you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love. :-)
    Donna

Love the quilt and the label. Darien will adore it.

Annie

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt, beautiful sentiments. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you are doing better yourself.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

I think you did exactly the right thing with the quilt.

I'm sorry you lost your brother. I'm trying to procrastinate less (less procrastinating about procrastinating), because anything can happen at any time. I'm sure your family will appreciate the quilty hugs very much.

Awe, so sorry to hear about your brother. Beautiful quilt, glad you decided to finish it and give it to your sister and great nephews! My youngest son's name is Carson! Know how difficult a loss can be, lost my DH to cancer 6 months ago today.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I am so impressed that you could pick up and finish it so soon. It is so hard to lose our loved ones. I, too, am in AL, at the lowest point on the East side. Dothan, AL is the county seat for Houston Co. Are you anywhere close? Linda

Blog Entries
    So Sorry for your loss. How brave of you to go on to finish the quilt so that Darien would have a special reminder of Carson > Hope you are well recovered from your medical strife I know the healing for Carson will take ever so much more time. God Bless

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast