Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff

It wasn't difficult to cut back on spending, as our local quilt shop closed last summer. : ( I now have to travel for fabric. I avoid the online shops, as I know I'd want to buy "everything"!

If a person firgued up what they spend eating out at restaurants a year, I believe it would far exceed what we spend on fabric! Having said that, I don't feel bad at all on what I spend on fabric since we don't eat out alot! :)

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    There is no way I'd add up all I spent in a year....probably would have a heart attack!
    Now that is funny!

Blog Entries
    There are two LQS in the Bar Harbor, ME area and a huge Mardens. If you are ever up this way to Acadia National Park you can have a ball with fabric as well.

I really think it matters if you spend the money for fabric and then never make anything with it. I made 6 quilts for Christmas presents last year and used a lot of my fabric up. I bought batting and backing when necessary. So I can't buy fabric just because it is out there anymore, I buy it for a purpose. I am a reformed fabriholic and since I am not going to give up quilting, I need to make sure my purchases are necessary. So the amount you spend doesn't really mean anything if you are using it up too.

No way, I do not want to know wht I spend on quilting.. What I don't know won't hurt me!!!

I have never kept track and I have no intention of doing so. I'm sure I'd be staggered if I knew. I don't go everboard (my dh might have a different opinion) we can still pay our bills and save so I don't feel so bad about spending money. My dh buys guns and they are expensive so I don't feel so bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Is that ALL you spent? See, there's a reason I don't add everything up.
    I am with you Paper Princess - When I go its at least 100. or more but look at what I saved with coupons etc :lol: You know they list that on receipts - sometimes I saved more than I spent..thats all I am saying :lol:

Well, at least you are stockd up. Actually you were smart, because fabric is going up!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.
    I've been trying to keep away from our Waterville Marden's since they posted a sale for $4.99 batiks. I can't go there until I'm sure they are all sold out or I'll add even more to my debt ceiling.

I visited a friend in Maine this fall and went to Mardens. Can't wait to go back. I was with other people and didn't have the time I needed to really shop the fabric the way I wanted. Well I guess that saved me money.

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    If a person firgued up what they spend eating out at restaurants a year, I believe it would far exceed what we spend on fabric! Having said that, I don't feel bad at all on what I spend on fabric since we don't eat out alot! :)
    We do go out to eat. more than we have to. We will cut that down too

Guilt?
    I think we all carry guilt thinking of where the money went. The "I should have's" can clutter our lives.
    We do so much for others. Clean house, raise children, cook, make sure everything is right for others. A lot of the quilting we do is for gifts, household,family, and charity. We are caretakers for all.
    Not many of us are party goers,or social butterflies. I for one am not a clothes horse, hate to shop for myself!
    All this is great and we should all be proud of the things we do for others. We don't do a whole lot for ourselves, so
    QUILT WITHOUT GUILT!!!

Does it include equipment? If I had to guess. I probably spent 3000 on fabric and notions. Then another 2500 on equipment, including a cutting table, sewing machine table and an ironing setup. But now my sewing room is fully done

I need virtually no more fabric for awhile, probably 15 projects in line. Right now I only buy fabric if I think the price is something very good and it fits with something I already own.

Now in the past 15 month or so I have made about 15 quilts...finished and out the door with another six in some stage of being done.

Last quilt show I went to I bought a couple seam rippers.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you.. I just checked and I've spent $1450 so far this year. I do not feel guilty about it because I'm a relative newby to quilting and I am now close to having all the "tools" I need for my new-found passion...along with a sizable stash. I don't run credit balances and I'm retired... Wahoo! Ahhh life is good

You did great if that is all you spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.
    We're headed up your way for a vacation this summer. I may have to get some shop names and towns to liven up my vacation!

I don't really spend a lot on quilting (at least I don't think I do) and hubby does not say a word. He is a salmon fisherman (just a hobby not a job) on Lake Michigan and the gas alone that it takes to fill the boat keeps his opinions about my quilting to himself!!!

I kept all my receipts too. Mostly if I needed a certain fabric that I needed more of. But not to long ago I decided to throw them away before I did add them up and make myself sick. I've been real good on not buying much fabric, and I sprained my hand which closed me down on sewing. But I watched tut's and now have spent money on "TOOLS" oh well. Life is short, might as well enjoy it while I can.

The price of cotton is going through the roof. My daughter works for a costume manufacturer in Indiana and has been keeping with the industry news. I guess China bought up many of the cotton producers here in the states and am not sure about all the particulars but prices will soar. I also heard a report in the news a few days ago stating that apparel of all types can be expected to rise in price.

I exceeded $2000. Wish I had more quilts to show for it.

i'm with you!!!! making from my stash in both quilting, knitting and crochet..... listening to the new and thinking about all that's going on right now, just makes me realize i need to do something with all i have!!! We are coming to a time when you can vacation a bit.... (in 43yrs. only 2 with hubby)... don't dye my hair... i'm just a low maintenane girl... so i say.... let's get in those rooms and start making things....(that's mostly a cheer for me.... i can barely move in mine,, so many things in progress, it's a wonderful space,,, i just need to go in, shut the door and create!!!! Enjoy your stuff girls... it too me years to figure out that my hobby was becoming "shopping" not creating... (
    Quote Originally Posted by mshollysd
    I really think it matters if you spend the money for fabric and then never make anything with it. I made 6 quilts for Christmas presents last year and used a lot of my fabric up. I bought batting and backing when necessary. So I can't buy fabric just because it is out there anymore, I buy it for a purpose. I am a reformed fabriholic and since I am not going to give up quilting, I need to make sure my purchases are necessary. So the amount you spend doesn't really mean anything if you are using it up too.
    :lol:

I have a "train" husband also. We made a pact I don't ask what he spends on G gauge trains and he doesn't ask me.
    That works pretty good. I have thought about it and the engines are in the hundreds and everything in that hobby is high priced.
    So i think they spend well more than we ever could.
    kjym Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
    I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.
    Haven't mortgaged the house yet. Actually, I'm working almost completely from my stash right now. Prices are too high and I'm blessed with a LOT of stash.

That's less than $20. a week. Pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me. He He...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast