Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is a less quilted (fluffy) quilt warmer than one that is heavily quilted?

Is a less quilted (fluffy) quilt warmer than one that is heavily quilted?

Given the same weight and type of batting is used in each quilt, for example, polyester, medium loft, does the fat, fluffy quilt trap more heat?

Does anyone know?

The fluffier one should be warmer. The more dead air space there is, the more insulation is provided.
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-06-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Exactly as Neesie said. That's why layers of clothing are warmer than one single heavy weight item.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

but the more densly quilted quilt is heavier....that's for sure. If I do any over 80x90" and do densing quilting I can hardly lift them!!!!! but then, it could be cuz I'm a weakling!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

When fibers are compressed they loose some of the insulating properties.

Blog Entries
    The thing I think about is if its "fluffy" when washed its gonna lump up isn't it? I have a fluffy comforter that the fluff is all clumped. but my feather comforter is closely quilted and its fine. Hmmmm. I need to have info too.Please
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I go with Neesie - it is the dead air space that makes it warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    The thing I think about is if its "fluffy" when washed its gonna lump up isn't it? I have a fluffy comforter that the fluff is all clumped. but my feather comforter is closely quilted and its fine. Hmmmm. I need to have info too.Please
    It's the nature of the filler, that makes it clump or not. One thing you can try, is putting three new tennis balls into the dryer, with a comforter. That MIGHT help but unfortunately, the older polyester filling usually does clump. I always use the tennis balls, when I wash/dry my down coats (loosely quilted), to keep them fluffy.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    Each different batt has specific maximum quilting distances. Going further apart than is recommended might result in the batt breaking down and thus the clumping.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/